Båtsfjord (Northern Sami: Báhcavuonna, Finnish / Kven: Paattivuono) is a municipality in Troms and Finnmark county. The municipality is located on the north side of the Varanger Peninsula and has its current boundaries from 1964 when the eastern parts of Båtsfjord were transferred to Vardø municipality.


Båtsfjord had 2,268 inhabitants at the end of the third quarter of 2016, an increase of over 10% from 2010. All settlement and administration in the municipality are gathered in the large fishing village at the bottom of the 13 km long Båtsfjord. In 2018, 29.5% of Båtsfjord's inhabitants had an immigrant background, the municipality was thus in 2nd place among municipalities with the highest percentage of immigrants after Oslo. The largest group of immigrants comes from Lithuania (257 people as of 1 January 2017). Then come Poland, Russia, Finland and Sri Lanka.

Båtsfjord municipality is located in East Finnmark, on the Varanger Peninsula facing the Barents Sea. The municipality borders in the southeast towards Vardø, in the south towards Vadsø and in the west towards Berlevåg, and meets Tana at one point in the west.

Båtsfjord center is located about 70.6 degrees north, and 29.7 degrees east.

Fuglefjellet Syltefjordstauran is one of Norway's largest. It is world famous for its great diversity of nesting seabirds and sea eagles. The mountain is most easily experienced from a boat, as the rock formations make it difficult to observe the birds from land.

The landscape in Båtsfjord municipality is geologically very old by Scandinavian standards, and largely shaped before the ice ages. Inland ice from the last ice ages was frozen over large parts of the Varanger Peninsula and thus changed the landscape to a small degree. The large block land areas are believed to be very old, from before the last ice age. However, the ice has left a large number (several thousand) peculiar annular formations, formations that are otherwise known from only a few other places in the world. The area also excels with many, long and sometimes crossing gutters, which tell a lot about the melting of the ice and movements.

The municipality
The Vardø presidency district (town and rural district) was established in 1838 and includes the current Vardø and Båtsfjord municipalities. In order to comply with the presidency laws' separation between town and rural area, Vardø was formally divided into Vardø market town and Vardø rural area in 1839, but due to small population, they were first separated in the municipal sense by royal resolution of 22 May 1868, with effect from 1 January, 1869

At the division in 1839, Vardø rural area had 245 inhabitants and consisted of the entire northwestern part of the Varanger Peninsula, an area of ​​2258 km². Vardø town consisted only of the urban buildings around Vardøhus on Vardøya, an area of ​​about 0.2 km². On 1 January 1874, the rest of Vardøya with 48 inhabitants was transferred from the rural area to Vardø town, and the rural area was reduced to 2254 km². On 1 January 1964, the eastern third of Båtsfjord (until 1957 Vardø rural area) with 621 inhabitants was transferred to Vardø, and Båtsfjord got its current area.

Båtsfjord was the place that was least damaged in the German burning in the autumn of 1944. Although 27 houses were completely damaged, there was otherwise relatively little damage. The place was therefore used as a supply base for the liberated Finnmark after the German withdrawal. Many who were evacuated to the west during the burning, returned to Båtsfjord as their first place in the winter of 1945–1946.

Municipal name
As usual for many of the country's parishes which consisted of a town and its surroundings, these were divided into a town and a rural district which both bore the town's name (aka Vardø market town and Vardø rural district). During the 19th and 20th centuries, most of the rural areas changed to their own (local) names, and in this way Vardø rural district retained its urban name for a long time. It was not until the 1950s that an attempt was made to change the name of the municipality. The Mapping Authority proposed Øst-Varanger, but the county council voted in April 1951 on the names Domen (after the mountain Domen west of Bussesundet) and Båtsfjord, with the following result: Domen 9 votes and Båtsfjord 4 votes. Consequently, the municipality name was to be Domen from 1 July 1951. This did not happen anyway, and instead the municipality name became Båtsfjord from 1 January 1957. By the above-mentioned boundary regulation in 1964, the mountain Domen remained in Vardø municipality.

Municipal coat of arms
Approved by royal resolution on 19 April 1985 and was signed by Arvid Sveen. Shows a fishing hook in silver on a blue background. In flag a white fishing hook on a blue background. The fishing hook is designed after finds from the Stone Age of fishing hooks made of bone in the municipality.