Brasov (Romanian Brașov, German Kronstadt, Kronstadt in Siebenbürgen, Kronen, Saxon Kruhnen, Latin Brassovia or Corona, Bulgarian Брашевъ, Polish Braszów, Slovak Brašov, Yiddish Kronshtat) is a city in Romania. From August 22, 1950 to December 24, 1960, it was called Orașul Stalin (Stalin City, Stalinstadt).

The former great center of the Transylvanian Saxons, formerly the County of Brasó, today the seat of the County of Brasó. Brasópojana belongs to it. Its sister city in Hungary has been Győr since 1993.


Things to see

The foundation walls of Brassovia Castle can still be seen on Cenk Hill. The remains of the pedestal of the Millennium Monument, which was demolished in 1916, can still be seen nearby.
The defense of the city was provided by two more towers, the Black and White towers, on the Warte hill on the northern side, which are still standing today.
The Black Church was built between 1383 and 1424. It was the largest church in the former Hungary and was originally dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Above its southern gate is the coat of arms of Mátyás and Beatrix of Aragon, a Lutheran church since the Reformation. Next to it stands the statue of the great reformer János Honterus.
The town hall is of Gothic origin, it was mentioned for the first time in 1420, and it was baroqueized in the 18th century.
Brasov History Museum, in the building of the Old Town Hall
Mureșenilor House
Saint Nicholas Church
The first Romanian school
Museum of Barcaság Fortresses
Black church
Greek church
Saint Bartholomew's Church
St. Martin's Church
Katalin gate
Museum of Ethnography
Cenkalji Promenade (Str. Tiberiu Brediceanu) and Graft Promenade (După Ziduri)
Gate Street (Str. Republicii)
Klastrom Street (Str. Mureșenilor)
Rezső Park (Parcul Nicolae Titulescu)
Pojana of Brasov
Solomon's stone
Beer fork



The Hungarian literary life of Brasó

The literary life of Brasó was formed between Romanian, German and Hungarian influences and relationships. In addition to the Saxon Honterus and the Romanian Coresi, János Nyírő of Szebeni appeared as early as 1581, whose collection of biblical quotations in Hungarian is kept by the British Museum. The Reformation provided an opportunity for all three languages to assert themselves in literature. Since 1637, the Hungarian language has also been taught in the city's famous Saxon high school. First, the denominations, and then the civil and labor associations of the 19th century led the local Hungarians to a rich, versatile intellectual harvest. In the 1830s, the city's first three newspapers, the Siebenbürger Wochenblatt, the Gazeta de Transilvania and the Erdélyi Hírlap with its literary supplement, the Mulattató, were launched here at the same time. On April 16, 1849, the Brassói Lap was published under the editorship of Károly Veszely and had 19 issues. The Brasov press and public life were happy to mention its spirit of public brotherhood, as well as the legacy of István Rab Zajzoni, Ferenc Koós and the Magyar Munkászó Egylet founded in 1887. .

Freedom fighter István Rab Zajzoni ended his tragic poetic career here, and Ferenc Koós published his memoirs here. The Hungarian aspects of local history and ethnography were explored by Antal Horger, and the visiting Hungarian writers and artists in 1887 (including József Kiss and the young Benedek Elek) gave new impetus to local Hungarian literary initiatives. In the same year, the Hungarian Workers' Reading Association of the socialists was also founded.

The 19-20. At the turn of the 20th century, the Hungarian press life in Brasov picked up, several Hungarian weekly papers were launched at the same time: Brassói Szemle edited by Gyula Halász; In 1919, the Forward c. workers' newspaper (after the 1920 strike, the title was Illuminance); however, among the competing papers, in the 1920s, the Brassói Lapok and its companion paper, Népújság, founded as early as 1895, gained national fame. In the 1930s, the group of writers formed around this paper, headed by Sándor Kacsó, raised the local intellectual life to a national level. This is where the popular culture movement (ÁGISZ, Hasznos Könyvtár), book publishing of the Brasov Newspapers (Ajándékregénytár) and the new realist writers' grouping (Erdélyi Encyclopédia) arose. Hungarian-Saxon literary relations developed here between the two world wars. In Brasov, Nagyenyed and Cluj-Napoca, the writers of Klingsor from Brasov and Helikon from Transylvania organized a joint reading evening, mutual translations are increasing.

After August 23, 1944, on October 22, the democratic Népi Egység, edited by Kurkó Gyárfás and then Ferenc Szemlér, was started. ). The scientific and literary life of the Hungarian students in Brasó was formed around this paper with the help of enthusiastic organizers such as Géza Apáthy and Jenő Szikszay; the local Romanian Astra and German Karpaten Rundschau c. magazine, a close collaboration was established to foster Romanian-Hungarian-Saxon literary relations.

The Hungarian Choir, a popular theater group and puppet group, the Hungarian Ensemble of the local Dalszínház Szálljon a dal c. exceeded the 100th performance with his sheet music. On the initiative of the Brassói Lapok, the Hungarian branch of the local People's University was established in 1973, which, by inviting local and nationally renowned lecturers, organized a series of lectures not only in the county seat, but also in Szecseleváros, Fogaras and Kőhalom.

The 1980s had a negative impact on the development of Romanian, Saxon and Hungarian literature and culture, censorship was strong, and the change of regime in December 1989 brought an upswing.


Theaters and philharmonics

"Sică Alexandrescu" - Drama Theater
Brasov Opera
"Gheorghe Dima" Philharmonic
"Arlechino" puppet theater
"Reduta" culture house
Theater Club

County Library
French Library
British Library
"Transylvania" University Library

Golden Deer Festival
In 1968, it was organized at the disposal of the Romanian government in order to prove to the West that Romania is an open country. Four years later, Ceaușescu abolished it, and since 1992 it has been held again every year.

Cultural events
Hungarian Days in Brasov - annually
Reménységházi Sokadalom - annually
Brasov city days - annually
Jazz and Blues Festival - annually
Chamber Music Festival - annually
Contemporary theater Festival - annually
Black church organ concerts - weekly
Beer Festival (Berarul mare) - annually
Aurora Festival (Berarul mic) – annually
Harvest Festival - annually
Crafts Fair – annually (at the same time as the city days)
Brasov Hungarian Theater Festival - annually
Barcaság Children's Festival - every year


Name and coat of arms

The name Brasó was first used in 1252, IV. It appears in one of Béla's donation documents as Terra Saxonum de Barasu (the land of the Saxons of Barasu). Its origin is unclear, several theories have been proposed to explain it. According to the most likely theory, it is of an anthroponymic origin and was formed from a personal name with a Slavic Bras root (Brasic, Bratislav). Another theory derives it from the Old Turkic word baraszó (white water), which probably referred to the rapids of the Köszörű stream.

The name Corona appears for the first time in a register of monasteries in Premontre, according to which a monastery of Corona existed in the territory of the bishopric of Kun in 1235 (In Hungaria assignata est paternitas Dyocesis Cumanie: Corona).[5] According to a popular explanation, the name refers to the royal crown seen in the ancient coat of arms of the city, and the coat of arms itself is based on the legends according to which the Hungarian King Solomon hid his crown among the roots of a tree while fleeing. According to another theory, the settlement was named after the ancient Christian martyr Corona, and the crown on the coat of arms is an "eloquent" representation of it.[6] The roots supporting the heads appear only in the first half of the 16th century.

According to some historians, Corona was the name of the city fortress and Brasó was the name of the county; according to others, both names applied equally to the castle and its surroundings.



Location, topography

It is located in the south-eastern part of Transylvania, in the Carpathian bend, in the Barcasági basin, at the foot of the Cenk mountain. Its average height above sea level is 600 meters, its lowest point is at the central railway station (530 m), and its highest point is at Solomon's Stone (700 m). The heights in the city are Fellegvár (644 m), Csiga-hegy (713 m) and Cenk (955 m). Brasó also includes the Schuler meadow (Brassópojána), located on the side of Keresztényhavas, at 1000 meters.



The climate of Brasov is continental, with summer and winter lasting 50-50 days each. The temperature is between 22 °C and 27 °C in summer and -10 °C and -2 °C in winter. In winter in Brasópojána it can be as low as -15 °C, all winter sports can be enjoyed at this resort, the snow usually does not melt for 71 days. Relative humidity of the air: 75%. The average annual rainfall is about 600–700 mm. The wind usually blows from the west and northwest at a speed of 1.5–3.2 m/s.



The Graft stream, Valea Tei stream, Rakodó stream, Valea Popilor stream, Kurta stream, Valea Florilor stream, Gorganu stream, Száraz-Tömös stream and the Tömös channel pass through Brasov county.


Flora and fauna

The flora is the same as that common in the region. However, many large mammals live in the forests of the nearby mountains, especially bears, wolves and foxes. Bears often come down to populated areas for food. Cenk is a protected area (2.03 km²) with many rare species.



Since the area near the Tömösi Strait was of special importance both from a military and commercial point of view, Brasó probably already had a populous settlement - presumably inhabited by Bulgarians - at the time of the conquest. The past of the fortress at the top of Cenk Hill is also shrouded in uncertainty. In the 13th century, the peasant castle, which was later called Brassovia, certainly guarded the gates of Transylvania, but opinions are divided as to whether IV. Béla, the German Knights, or perhaps St. István built its walls.

The known history of Brasov begins with the arrival of the Teutonic Knights. The Crusaders received the settlement as a donation in 1211 II. from King András, and according to the original ideas, it would have served as a base for the conversion of the Havasalföld and Moldavian territories beyond the Carpathians to Christianity, as well as for ensuring Hungarian rule there.

In 1285, the Tatars burned the city. In 1384, as a result of the Tatar raids, the city walls began to be built. In 1421 II. The Turkish Sultan Murad occupied Brasov and razed the walls to the ground. After the recapture of the city in 1427, King Sigismund of Luxembourg held a parliament here. In 1455, János Hunyadi allowed the people of Brasov to use the ruins of the Cenki castle to rebuild the city walls. In 1467, King Matthias rested in Brasov during his campaign in Moldavia. After losing the battle of Mohács, the city sided with Ferdinand I and drove out János Szapolyai and his troops. With the sultan's consent, Petru Rareș invaded Transylvania and defeated Ferdinand's army at Földvár on June 29, 1529, and stormed Brasov and captured the Citadel, which he destroyed. In 1534, Lodovico Gritti camped with 7,000 Turks within the walls of the castle, awaiting the homage of the greats of Transylvania. In 1599, Mihály Vitéz occupied the city.

In the 16th century, Brasov was already a developed city with 8,000 inhabitants. Around 1580, the first Hungarian-language book printed in Brasov, Fons Vitae, Az éléntek kvtfeie (fountain head) was published from the workshop of the printer János Nireus (Nyirő), without an indication of the year. Mózes Székely died here in 1603, the IX. He fought with the army of Voivode Radu Șerban and his body was buried here. In 1660, the gun turrets in Fellegvár exploded, the defensive works were restored in 1667.

In 1688, the Austrian army occupying Transylvania besieged the city, which General Johann Friedrich Ambrosius von Veterani captured and burned together with the Citadel on May 26. II. During the freedom struggle of Ferenc Rákóczi, Brasó did not join the prince, so the Kurucs looted the city.

On July 8, 1611, the Transylvanian prince Gábor Báthory was defeated here by the combined army of the Voivode of Moldavia and the Saxons of Brasov. On April 21, 1689, Antonio Caraffa set fire to the city, and the walls of its famous church, the Black Church, have been black ever since. In the following years it was plundered by the Kurucs, and in March 1849 it was occupied by General Bem. On June 19, 1849, it was occupied by tsarist troops, and the Citadel was taken after a one-day siege. After that, the defensive significance of the city ceased.

On the initiative of Andrei Șaguna, the first Romanian-language high school was established in 1850, which still bears the name of its founder.

The first telegraph line was established in 1854 between Brasov and Nagyszeben. The first train passed through the city on March 30, 1873. Later, in 1879, the Brasov-Bucharest railway line was built. In 1889, the first telephone exchange was opened, with 22 subscribers. Brasó's first tram line ran from Városház tér to Bertalan quarter in 1891 (it has now ceased to exist).

On August 28, 1916, the Romanian Army invaded Brasov. At the same time, Dr. Gheorghe Baiulescu became the first Romanian mayor of Brasov. However, part of the Romanian army was destroyed in the Bertalan quarter. In 1930, the first electricity supply plant was established. On November 10, 1940, an earthquake measuring 7.4 (according to the Richter scale) shook the city. In 1943-44, American planes bombed the city several times. In January 1945, the deportation of the Saxons from Brasov to the Soviet Union began.

The Drama Theater in the city center was built in 1960. In 1968, the Golden Deer International Festival was held for the first time. In 1971, the first university in Brasov was founded. On March 4, 1977, a huge 7.2 magnitude earthquake shook the city again, causing many buildings to be damaged. On August 31, 1986, there was another magnitude 7 earthquake. On November 15, 1987, riots broke out in Brasov against the communist regime and Nicolae Ceaușescu. The movement was quickly crushed and many insurgents disappeared or were imprisoned. On December 22, 1989, following Timisoara, the revolution against the communist regime also began in Brasov, which claimed many lives and wounded. On May 30, 1990, there was another earthquake (magnitude 6.9). On October 27, 2004, there was another earthquake (magnitude 6).


The defensive wall and bastions of the city

Brasov was surrounded by a protective wall, several parts of which have remained intact to this day. There were two gates on the western side of the city wall, one of them, the Katalin Gate (formerly the Holy Spirit Gate), which was mentioned for the first time in 1522. The other is the Bolgárszegi gate, which was built in 1827, in classicist style.

The city wall originally had thirty-two towers and bastions, most of which are still standing today. The best-preserved bastion is the Weavers' bastion, which has a hexagonal floor plan, is multi-storey, and has a covered corridor made of wood. It currently houses a museum.

On the 920 m long castle wall stretching from the Bastion of the Weavers in the NE direction, there is the Bastion of the Cloth Makers. To the NE of here, at the end of the wall, there is the originally 12 m high, hexagonal bastion of Kötelverőr, rebuilt from its ruins in 2006. Here, the city wall turned westward all the way to Bodnár's bastion (this bastion no longer exists). The Bastion of the Belt Manufacturers, which also no longer exists, and the Goldsmiths' Bastion stood on the western side of the wall. Today, its bastions include the White Tower and the Graft Bastion, which originally had a drawbridge. The wall stretching from here to the south ends in the pentagonal, three-story bastion of the Kovácsoks, which currently houses the State Archives.

On the northern side of the city, on the Warte Hill, formerly known as Hernyó Hill, two huge towers provided the external defense of the city. One tower is the 11 m high, rectangular Black tower, the other is the semicircular White tower.

Today, only the foundation walls of the Cenk hill castle are visible.


The Árpád statue

The statue depicting one of Prince Árpád's warriors was erected on top of Cenk Hill in August 1896, on the 1000th anniversary of the conquest. The 20.3-meter-high statue was carved by Budapest sculptor Gyula Jankovics and unveiled on October 15, 1896, by Minister of the Interior Dezső Perczel. The statue was a 3.5-meter-tall warrior standing on a column, an unknown soldier of the conquest in the simple clothing of the time. On September 27, 1913, two Bessarabians, Ilie Catarau and Timotei Kirilov, blew it up with dynamite. Their guilt was not revealed until 90 years later, and they are now hailed as heroes of the Romanian nation. The statue did not fall as a result of the explosion, it was only damaged, as a result of which it collapsed on December 31, 1913, after a heavy snowfall.

After the World War, the pieces of the monument came into the possession of the Historical Museum in Brasov, where they were kept in the basement. The part of his head became public again in 2002, and since then it can be viewed in the central office of the Lutheran Church in Brasov. They would like to establish a memorial park in its yard, where the remains of the statue could be exhibited.

Traces of the statue's pedestal can still be found on the top of Cenk.


Tribulations of the city

Throughout history, the city has withstood many human and natural devastations:

Great earthquakes 1662, 1738, 1802, 1940, 1977
Storm 1457, 1490, 1599, 1667, 1673, 1682, 1913
Fire 1461, 1519, 1689, 1718
Sieges 1241 (Tatars), 1421 (Turks), 1438 (Turks), 1658 (Tatars)
Plague and other deadly diseases, epidemics 1495, 1510–1511, 1530–1531, 1572, 1588, 1602



General Informations
Its population in 2002 was 284,596. Since 2005, several settlements of the surrounding agglomeration merged into the city, so the population in 2012 was between 350,000 and 400,000.

Change in population
In 1910, the city had 41,056 inhabitants, of which 17,831 (43.43%) were Hungarians, 11,786 (28.71%) Romanians, and 10,841 (26.41%) Germans. After Trianon, the composition of the population changed: currently around 10% are Hungarian, and the Saxon population does not reach 1,000 people.


Ethnic and religious distribution

Ethnic composition (according to the 2002 census):
258,042 Romanians, 23,176 Hungarians, 762 Gypsies, 56 Ukrainians, 1,717 Germans, 120 Jews, 103 Lipovans, 83 Italians, 71 Greeks, 64 Turks, 28 Hungarians, 24 Poles, 14 Tatars, 13 Bulgarians, 13 Czechs, 13 Armenians, There were 12 Serbs, 4 Slovaks, 6 Croats, 6 Chinese, 227 other and 42 residents of the city of Brasov who did not declare their nationality.

The religious distribution of the city:
Orthodox: 244,220, Roman Catholic: 15,790, Reformed: 7,193, Pentecostal: 1,610, Greek Catholic: 2,926, Baptist: 963, Adventist: 762, Muslim: 180, Unitarian: 2,573, Evangelical: 860, Old Faithful-Orthodox: 172, synod-presbyterian evangelical-lutheran: 2205, evangelical: 940, Augustinian evangelical: 949, Jewish: 121, other: 2208, non-denominational: 273, atheist: 238, did not answer: 413.

The distribution of Hungarians by religion: approximately 16,000 Roman Catholics, 10,000 Reformed, 3,500 Unitarians, 1,300 Evangelicals.



Brasov's economy was largely determined by its geographical location: it is located at the intersection of the main trade route connecting Transylvania with Havašalföld and Moldavia, which is why it was an important industrial and commercial center already in the Middle Ages. The first savings bank of Hungary, the Sparkasse, was founded here (modeled after Vienna in 1835), the country's first dairy cooperative was established here in 1899, the Scherg fabric factory in 1823 (now Carpatex), the Schiell machine factory (in 1800, today Hidromecanica), the Haberman and Czell breweries (now Aurora), the Kenyeres, Jekel, and Teutsch liquor factories, the Fleischer and Deubel salami factories, the petroleum refinery (1853), the candy factory (1899), the Eitel soap factory (1840), the Teutsch iron foundry (1833, now a tool factory), the Hubber furniture factory (1890), the cement factory (1891), the Seewald mill (1796).

Industrial development in Brasov began in the period before the Second World War. One of the largest plants is IAR Brasov, which produced the first Romanian fighter jets used against the Soviets. After the war, agricultural equipment was manufactured here. During the period of communism, industrialization accelerated, heavy industrial facilities were installed, which attracted many workers from other parts of the country. These plants have significantly reduced production in recent years, but continue to produce tractors, trucks, helicopters, etc.



Brasov consists of more than 550 streets, the length of which is more than 260 km. The street network is very developed in terms of lighting, road quality, traffic lights.


Urban public transport

Public transport in the city is provided by buses and trolleybuses. A line ticket valid for 50 minutes costs 2.5 lei, except for line 20, which costs 6 lei. The price of the monthly pass is 85 lei. Buses and trolleybuses operate on a total of 41 lines.

Between 1987 and 2006, there was also a tram in Brasov, which connected the Traktor and Astra districts.

There are 7 taxi companies in Brasov. The daily fare in the city is 2.19 lei/km. There is also a car rental company in the city.

Cenk Hill can be reached by cable car.



Brasov is one of the most important railway hubs in Romania. There are four railway stations in the city: Central railway station, Bertalan, Derestye, Triaj (stage station).

The train schedule can be viewed here.


Main roads

International trips:
European road E60: Vienna - Budapest - Oryodvár - Cluj - Marosvásárhely - Brasov - Bucharest - Constanta
E68 (European road): Szeged – Arad – Sibiu – Brasov
E574 (European road): Craiova – Brasov – Bákó
National roads:
DN 1: Nagyvárad – Sibiu – Fogaras – Brasov – Bucharest
DN 1A: Brasov – Four Villages – Bratocea Pass – Vălenii de Munte – Ploiești
DN 10: Brasov – Szaszhermány – Bodza-szoros – Buzău
DN 11: Brasov – Szaszhermány – Ojtozi Strait – Onești
DN 13: Marosvásárhely - Segesvár - Brasó
DN 73: Brasov – Törcsvár – Hosszúmező – Pitești



There are three sports airports in the vicinity of Brasov: Vidombák, Prázsmár and Barcaszentpéter. An international airport (Aeroportul Internaionale Brașov-Ghimbav) is currently being built in Vidombák (2022). After several postponements, it is planned to be handed over in 2022.

During the Second World War, a military airport operated next to the IAR factory, but it was closed during the Soviet occupation.



The first school (and printing house) operating in the city was founded by Johannes Honterus in 1539. A total of 23 Latin, 9 Greek and 5 German books were printed in the printing house.

From 1560 to the beginning of the 1580s, deacon Coresi was active here in Brasov; he printed church books in Cyrillic script in Old Slavonic and Romanian.

Although there is no document about it, according to contemporary memoirists, Honterus ordered the establishment of the first Hungarian school in 1547. However, a document has survived that the town paid a Hungarian teacher from 1560: the scholasticus hungaricus received 10 frts per year. The school operated next to the great church, in the bell ringer's apartment.

The Roman Catholics founded a school in 1837, where teaching was conducted in German until 1867, after which they switched to teaching in Hungarian. Later, in Bolgárszeg and Óbrasso, a trade school (1885), a general secondary school (1889), a state high school for girls (1897) and a well-known secondary industrial school (1884) were established. The Catholics built a new school in 1901, and the education of girls was entrusted to nuns: therefore, in 1878, they bought and remodeled A Naphoz guesthouse (today the entire building complex houses the art high school). And the reformers provided secondary education for girls in the building they bought for war orphans in 1918.

Currently, Hungarian language education takes place at the Áprily Lajos Líceum (grades 1-12), and Hungarian education at the elementary school level is also available in several schools throughout the city.

Currently, the city has 46 kindergartens, 28 elementary schools, 7 colleges, 7 high schools, 1 theological seminary, 11 vocational schools, and 14 university faculties (which are united under the common name of Transilvania University) and 4 colleges, as well as the flight academy and 6 private universities.

Print media: Brasói Lapok, Kronstadter Zeitung, Bună ziua Brașov, Chip, Dacia Jurnal Brașov Gazeta de Transilvania, Monitorul Expres, Transilvania Expres, Zile și Nopți.

TV: Antena 1 Brașov, Mix TV Brașov, Nova TV, Pro TV Brașov, RTT Brașov, TVS Brașov.

Radio: Radio 21 Brașov, Radio Antena Brașovului, Radio Brașov, Radio Dinamic FM Brașov, Radio Impuls FM Brașov, Radio Kiss FM Brașov, Radio Pro FM Brașov, Radio Special.

His sports life
The first sports associations of the region appeared in Brasov, back in the 19th century (shooting, physical education vocational school). Currently, the Olimpia Sport Complex is the most well-known, which is sought by the population mainly because of its tennis courts.


Sports clubs in the city:

SCM Brasov Fenestella 68
FC Brașov
FC Forex Brașov
Rulmentul Brașov
Romanian Modern Karate Society
"Olympia", sports complex
Brasov Olympic Swimming Pool
Tineretului Stadium
Municipal stadium
Dynamo stadium
"Ion Țiriac" sports complex
Sports Hall (Sala Sporturilor)
Alpine swimming pool
ASC Corona 2010 Brașov (ice hockey)


Famous people

Lutheran preacher Johannes Honterus, the reformer of the Saxons, was born and worked here around 1498. He also died here on January 23, 1549. His statue stands on the south side of the Black Church.
The lutenist and composer Bálint Bakfark was born here in 1506 or 1507.
The Transylvanian prince Mózes Székely died here, who lost his life on July 17, 1603 in the bloody battle also known as the "Mohacs of Transylvania".
The chronicler Hieronymus Ostermayer was the organist of the Church of Mary in Brasov from 1530, probably until his death.
Chancellor János Petki, an influential orator, died here on October 23, 1612.
Heraldist Martin Schmeitzel was born here on May 28, 1679.
Classical philologist Stephan Bergler was born here around 1680.
Botanist Johann Hedwig was born here on December 8, 1730.
The historian Georg Michael Gottlieb von Hermann was born here on September 29, 1737.
Historian József Károly Eder was born here on January 20, 1760.
Johann Martin Honigberger, doctor, pharmacist and orientalist, was born here on March 10, 1795.
Painter Constantin Lecca was born here on August 4, 1807.
Eduard Zaminer was born here on January 26, 1835, in Hungarian: Zaminer Ede city forester.
Nicolae Teclu, the inventor of the Teclu burner, was born here on October 18, 1839.
Composer Gheorghe Dima was born here on September 28, 1847.
Archaeologist Gábor Téglás was born here on March 23, 1848.
Ethnographer Antal Herrmann was born here on July 30, 1851.
Ethnographer Henrik Wlislocki was born here on July 9, 1856.
The painter József Koszta was born here on March 27, 1861.
The poet Andrei Mureșanu, the creator of the text of the Romanian national anthem, died here on October 12, 1863.
Linguist Ioan Bogdan, the founder of Romanian Slavic studies, was born here on July 25, 1864.
Balázs Kenyeres (1865–1940), forensic doctor, histologist, member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, was born here.
Literary historian and philologist Gheorghe Bogdan-Duică was born here on January 2, 1866.
Poet Ștefan Octavian Iosif was born here on September 11, 1875.
Linguist Sextil Pușcariu was born here on January 4, 1877.
Writer Adolf Meschendörfer was born here on May 8, 1877 and died here on July 4, 1962.
Journalist, editor, and politician Béla Szele was born here on November 4, 1878.
Politician and publicist Paál Árpád was born here in 1880 (?).
The painter János Mattis Teutsch was born here on January 13, 1884 and died here on March 17, 1960.
The poet Áprily Lajos was born here on November 14, 1887.
Legal philosopher Gyula Moór was born here on August 11, 1888.
Art historian Edith Hoffmann was born here on December 7, 1888.
Graphic artist and painter Count Ralph Teleki was born here on May 10, 1890.
Writer and poet József Pap was born here in 1896.
The teacher and philosopher Lajos Prohászka was born here on March 2, 1897.
The writer Heinrich Zillich was born here on May 23, 1898.
Photo artist Brassaï (Gyula Halász) was born here on September 9, 1899.
Tourism and sports journalist Géza Székely was born here on February 21, 1901.
Painter and composer Henri Nouveau (Henrik Neugeboren) was born here on March 6, 1901.
Gábor Tuzson, mechanical engineer and author of patent procedures, was born here on June 3, 1906.
József Nagy, Uzoni Reformed pastor and church writer, was born here on January 10, 1907.
Actor Sándor Deák was born here on December 5, 1909.
Actress Olga Eszenyi, member of the National Theater, was born here on January 27, 1910.
Librarian and bibliographer Kálmán Tóth was born here on July 8, 1910.
The politician Eugen Brote died here on December 5, 1912.
Roman Catholic priest Sándor Bokor, a victim of communism, was born here on June 15, 1915.
The painter Friedrich von Bömches was born here on December 27, 1916.
Writer, poet, playwright, translator Georg Scherg was born here on January 19, 1917.
Poet and essayist Ștefan Baciu was born here on October 29, 1918.
Magdolna Zsakó, teacher and travel writer, was born here on October 9, 1919.
Loránd Lengyel, a Lutheran theological writer and university professor, was born here on April 19, 1921.
Ethnographer József Faragó was born here on February 2, 1922.
Sándor Kerekes, surgeon and medical writer, was born here on May 3, 1922.
Writer Ferenc Sánta was born here on September 4, 1927.
The esthete János Jánosi was born here on May 1, 1928.
Photographer Zoltán Molnár was born here on March 15, 1929.
Literary politician and writer Géza Domokos was born here on May 18, 1928.
Poet Doina Cornea was born here on May 30, 1929.
Magdolna B. Mosoni, textbook editor, was born here on June 17, 1931.
In 1931-1932, Noémi Ferenczy's engraving workshop operated here.
Tibor Tomcsányi, journalist, radio and TV editor, was born here on March 3, 1934.
Photographer Gáspár Török was born here on July 27, 1934.
Journalist and sports writer László Székely was born here on May 3, 1935.
Literary historian and translator János Ritoók (Günther Johann Miess) was born here on June 22, 1935.
József Vofkori, doctor and medical writer, was born here on March 28, 1936.
Ferenc Kerekes, a mechanical engineer, was born here on January 20, 1937.
Local and cultural historian György Vofkori was born here on January 20, 1938.
The philosopher Alexandru Surdu was born here on February 24, 1938.
Hungarian medical writer Magda Seres-Sturm was born here on July 10, 1938.
Ilona Verestóy, music teacher, music specialist, textbook editor, was born here on December 30, 1938.
Writer and poet János Kádár Bögözi was born here on August 18, 1939.
Tennis player Ion Țiriac was born here on May 9, 1939.
The painter Ștefan Câlția was born here on May 15, 1942.
István Tüdős, sports psychologist and university professor, was born here on July 21, 1943.
Gyula Székely, electrical engineer and university professor, was born here on May 26, 1946.
Conductor Horia Andreescu was born here on October 18, 1946.
German musician Peter Maffay was born here on August 30, 1949.
Poet Christian W. Schenk was born here on November 11, 1951.
Political scientist Vladimir Tismăneanu was born here on July 4, 1951.
Astronaut Dumitru Prunariu was born here on September 27, 1952.
Poet Ferenc Szász, Unitarian church writer, was born here on October 25, 1956.
Leonard Orban, European Commissioner responsible for multilingualism, was born here on June 28, 1963.
János Dénes Orbán, a poet and writer, was born here on July 4, 1973. He is the president of the Hungarian Writers' League of Transylvania.
Hungarian actor László Domokos, Attilla Berényi in the series Barátok közt, was born here on January 26, 1974.
On December 27, 1974, Attila Kovács, Hungarian politician from Transylvania, vice president of the Brasó County Council, was born here.
Gyárfás Kurkó, a communist politician and memoirist, died here on May 21, 1983.
Margalit and Rukhama Saron (née Zimmermann Gyöngyi and Lili), the two wives of Israeli Prime Minister Ariél Sárón, were born here.
Singer and actress Dalma Kovács was born here on May 18, 1985.