Sretensky Monastery is a women's Russian Orthodox
monastery in Gorokhovets. Upon its construction in the 17th century
(1658) it became one of the most prominent features in Gorokhovets. Its
35 meter high Bell Tower stands out among other buildings. Original
buildings of the monastery were wooden. In 1678 two wooden churches were
added to this religious complex including warm winter Sergievskaya
Church and cold summer Sretenskaya Church. In the last decades of the
17th century wooden structures of Sretensky Monastery were replaced by
stone buildings. Local merchant Semen Efimovich Ershov donated money to
construct the main cathedral of Sretensky Monastery.
Sretensky Monastery in Gorokhovets was closed when
Soviets came to power. It was closed until early 1990's when abbey was
reopened as an Eastern Orthodox monastery.