Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
at Strelka construction began on 17 July 1868
on a site of the traditional Nizhny Novgorod Fair by the orders
of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich. Layout and overall appearance of Alexander Nevsky
Cathedral was designed by an architect R.J. Kileveyn. Most of finances were donated by
rich traders of Nizhny Novgorod. Frescoes and icons were painted
or written in Russian Orthodox tradition by a famous painter
from Moscow, F.A. Sokolov.
Several icons were donate by the Saint Macarius Monastery. On
July 20th, 1881 Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was consecrated and
dedicated to famous Russian medieval political and military
leader. It is ranked third highest among all Russian Orthodox
Unfortunately in 1930 Alexander Nevsky
Cathedral was closed by the decision of the Soviet authorities.
Many historic icons, church utensils and other items were
stolen. Other items were simply burned on a square before a
church. Residents of Nizhny Novgorod managed to save several
icons and hid them under danger of persecution and even death.
Miraculous icon of Our Lady of the Holy Cross was preserved and
today it is stored in Vysokovsk Church. Alexander Nevsky
Cathedral itself was used as a warehouse and even a residential
apartment. Only in the 1980's authorities of Nizhny Novgorod
began large scale restoration work that returned church its
original appearance. Today Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is
returned to its rightful owners, Christians of the town.