Church of All Saints is a Russian Orthodox
church- monument that was recently constructed and dedicated
to fallen Orthodox soldiers who died on Mamayev Kurgan. Church of All Saints is located just two
hundred meters from the monument "The Motherland Calls!" and mass
graves of thousands of soldiers that fell here in 1942- 43.
At the time of construction of Mamayev Kurgan War memorial USSR was
officially an atheist country so no religious buildings were
allowed, however after the collapse of the Communist regime and its
main ideology it became clear that many Russians want to commemorate
the memory of their fallen soldiers in Christian churches as well as
non- religious ones. The idea for construction of the Church of All
Saints was blessed by Patriarch Alexy in 1995, but construction
began years later. The
foundation for the church was laid down in May 2002 near
mass graves of fallen Soviet soldiers. Funds for its construction were gathered
largely from private donations.
Church of All Saints was completed in 2005.
Its five domes reach a
height of 38 meters and visible from most parts of
Volgograd. In a traditional Orthodox architecture five domes
represent Jesus Christ and four authors of Gospels: Matthew, Mark,
Luke and John. Its helmet domes were build from titanium alloys and
brought here from Ural mountains and its shape was modeled
after helmets of medieval Russian warriors.