Gerhart's Mill was constructed in 1904 for
Alexander Gerhart, Russian- German businessmen. He was born on 23rd
of January 1864 in a German Straub colony. He joined his grandfather
in a family business "A.D. Gerhardt und Neffen" that later was
transformed into "Gebruder Gerhard". After Russian Revolution of
1917 he lost all his possessions including his Volgograd buildings.
Alexander Gerhart was arrested on 1st January, 1933 by GPU, Soviet
Secret Police. He died after tortures on April 21st the same year.
Gerhart's Mill was simple industrial building that didn't stand out
from the rest of Stalingrad- Volgograd. It became famous during
World War II. At the conclusion of military actions in the city Most
of the city was left in ruins. Soviet government order massive
reconstruction project that rebuilt the whole city. However Gerhart's Mill became the only part of the city that was preserved
after the conclusion of the war. Some people mistakenly call it
Pavlov's House although it was re- constructed after
the war. Owner's name "Gerhart" is still visible at the top of the