Ayan, Russia



Ayan is a village in the Khabarovsk Territory of Russia, the administrative center of the Ayano-Maisky District and the rural settlement "Ayan Village".



The settlement was founded in 1843 by the Russian-American Company as the starting point of a new road that was supposed to connect Yakutsk with the Okhotsk coast in order to transport cargo by reindeer transport. The route, called Amgino-Ayansky, ran through Nelkan, Aim, Ust-Maya and Amga. The road was laid in 1844-1845, in 1845 the Okhotsk trading post moved to Ayan. In 1846 Ayan received the status of a port; A.F. Kashevarov was its head from 1850 to 1856. In 1854, the writer Ivan Goncharov landed in Ayan, who then traveled by land through all of Russia and returned to St. Petersburg.

In 1855, during the Crimean War, despite the neutrality of the Russian-American Company, English troops landed in the port.

With the opening of the Ayansky tract, trade revived, but after the sale of Alaska and the termination of the activities of the Russian-American Company, the value of the settlement fell. Only in the early 1880s did regular steamboat flights Ayan-Vladivostok begin and public life was revived.



During the Civil War of 1917-1923, Ayan became the scene of hostilities. On September 6, 1922, the Siberian Volunteer Squad (SDD) of General Pepelyaev arrives in Ayan on two ships. Leaving the garrison in the village, she goes along the Amgino-Ayansky tract towards Yakutsk. After the defeat of the SDD under the leadership of General Pepelyaev, he returned to Ayan on May 1, 1923. On June 17, 1923, a detachment of the Red Army led by Stepan Vostretsov entered Ayan, before whom the SDD capitulated.

In 1924-1925, the Tungus uprising was going on in the region. Rebel detachments of the Yakuts, Tungus (Evenks) and partially Russians operated in the Ayano-Nelkano-Aldan, Okhotsk, Oymyakon-Verkhoyansk regions of Yakutia, in Abye. In May 1924, the rebels occupied the settlement of Nelkan, which became the base of the rebels. On the night of June 6, 1924, a detachment of 60 rebels managed to defeat the Soviet garrison of the port of Ayan and capture the settlement.

On July 14, 1924, the All-Tunguska Congress took place in the village, at which the Tunguska Republic, independent of the USSR, was proclaimed. At the congress, the Provisional Central Tunguska National Administration was elected, which decided to secede from the RSFSR. M. K. Artemiev became the chief of staff of the armed detachments, and the Tungus P. G. Karamzin became the head of the detachments.

In 1925, the rebels concluded a truce with the Soviet authorities and laid down their arms. Many prominent rebels were included in the Soviet governing bodies. In 1927, a policy of "tightening the screws" began, as a result of which, within a year, the former leaders of the uprising were repressed, many were executed.

From December 10, 1930 to July 22, 1934, the administrative center of the newly created Ayano-Maisky district of the Okhotsk (Even) national district was located.



Obelisk of Military Glory
monument to the Red Army men who died for Soviet power in 1924
bust to Stepan Vostretsov.
Ilyin Viktor Mikhailovich (born 1936), people's doctor of the USSR (1978), was born in the village.
Shtanko Karina Alekseevna, a well-known food blogger, spent her holidays in the village.



It is located on the Nongdar-Negotni peninsula, on the coast of the natural bay of the same name in the Sea of Okhotsk, 911 km north of Khabarovsk (in a straight line). The stream Sarafanovka flows. 1-4 kilometers away are: Cape Privilege - this is the place where the border of the FSB border zone passes; Mount Landor.



From the Evenki language, the name Ayan is translated as "bay".



Cellular communication works (MTS, Beeline, MegaFon).