Description of Tower of Saint Constantine in Feodosiya
Tower of Saint Constantine is one of the most
prominent remains of the medieval military defences
constructed by settlers from an Italian town of Genoa. It is
situated in the park "Yubileyny" near a large train station.
Medieval tower was erected in 1338 to increase defences of
the town. It was protected by a water filled moat and
earth rampart that ran around the perimeter of the medieval
Feodosiya. Later it got a wooden fence to protect towers and
walls against siege weapons. The tower was dedicated to the
ancient Roman emperor Saint Constantine who legalized
Christianity within boundaries of his empire. Alternatively
it was called Arsenal Tower since it was use to store
weapons. In 1475 Tower of Saint Constantine was increased in
size and complexity. Genoese artisan added barbican for
The last time tower of Saint Constantine was
restored was in 1914. Russian Imperial government in a
symbolic gesture commissioned this work to Italian masters.
Today it serves as a dance floor for local Feodosiya disco
bar known as "Pyatak" (Пятак).