Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (Feodosiya)

Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God


Location: Feodosiya


Description of Church of the Kazan icon of the Mother of God

Church of the Kazan icon of the Mother of God (Церковь Казанской иконы Божией Матери) is an Eastern Orthodox Church in a resort town of Feodosiya. Current temple was built in the early 20th century, but its history starts in 1887 when Count Nicholas Heiden gave away his private residence or dacha Kafa in Feodosiya to Toplovsky Monastery of Saint Paraskevi. In 1891 a wooden church was constructed and dedicated to Saint Panteleimon the Healer. In 1907 a new bigger stone Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God was built. It became one of the most beautiful and largest buildings in Feodosiya. Architect of the cathedral G.L. Cale designed his cathedral in the Russian- Byzantine style. it was completed and consecrated in 1911.


Cathedral history

Construction of the cathedral
The headman of the St. Petersburg Kazan Cathedral, Count Nikolai Geiden, in 1887 transferred his dacha "Kafa" in Feodosia to the jurisdiction of the Toplovsky Holy Trinity Paraskevievsky Monastery, and later it received the name of the Kazan Compound of the Toplovsky Monastery. On February 24, 1890, the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church approved this gift of Heyden for the Toplovsky Monastery "for the construction of a church in the name of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God and an elementary school for girls."

In 1892, the inhabitants of the city allocated a plot of land near the dacha, where they were to build a temple in memory of the miraculous rescue of the royal family during the train crash on October 17, 1888. However, the Theodosians did not have money for the construction of the temple. Baroness Maria Frederiks and the organizer of one of the first in Russia Communities of Sisters of Mercy Marfa Sabinina presented the city with a portable church, which had previously been located in the southern coast estate of Kastropol. The church was consecrated by Bishop Martinian in honor of the great martyr and healer Panteleimon.

On July 26, 1890, a religious procession with the icon of the Kazan Mother of God was held from the Toplovskaya monastery to Feodosia, which later became an annual tradition. The tradition of religious processions ceased in Soviet times.

In 1907, the wooden church of the Toplovsky monastery was dismantled, and instead of it, the construction of a stone cathedral in the name of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God began. The construction was carried out according to the project of the Theodosian architect Heinrich Keil in the traditions of the Russian-Byzantine style. The cathedral was consecrated in 1911 with the participation of Bishop Feofan of Tauride and Simferopol.

Cathedral during the years of Soviet power
After the outbreak of the Civil War, in 1919, the entire Toplovsky monastery, its courtyard, churches and other buildings were looted, and many of its shrines were lost.

At the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, the 12th army collection point for Soviet prisoners of war was located in the courtyard. Until 1943, the monastery was in disrepair, and during the German occupation, it was opened for the purpose of holding services for the troops of the Romanian unit. After the entry of Soviet troops into Feodosia in April 1944, a permanent church service was resumed in the church.

During the 1950-1960s. On the initiative of the Simferopol Archbishop and the Crimean Saint Luke, the cathedral was renovated with artistic paintings and filled with church utensils. Solemn liturgies were also held. During this period, archpriests John Kalishevich and Grigory Beztalanny served in the church. From 1967 to 2009, Father Anatoly Chepel was the rector of the cathedral.

Current state
In 2004, on the initiative of Abbess Paraskeva, abbess of the Toplovsky Monastery, and with the blessing of Metropolitan Lazarus of Simferopol and Crimea, the tradition of religious processions with the icon of the Kazan Mother of God from the Toplovsky Monastery to Feodosia was restored.

Since 2009, the rector of the cathedral has been Archpriest Vasily Bai.

In 2011, in honor of the centenary of the cathedral, a reconstruction was carried out in it, the foundation of the fence was strengthened, paving of the inner territory with tiles and the construction of a ramp for the disabled were planned.

In connection with the formation of an independent Feodosia-Kerch diocese, the Kazan Cathedral becomes the cathedral church of the new diocese.


Cathedral architecture

The lightness and elegance of the architectural appearance of the cathedral, created by the semicircular tops of the walls, thin columns in the corners of the building, is noted. The dome of the building is made in the Byzantine style and resembles the helmet of a Russian warrior. The light drum contains ten arched windows. The interior of the cathedral is regarded as quite rich, in particular, its artistic painting, which presents gospel scenes with images of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, the Holy Great Martyrs Catherine and Barbara, as well as the Holy Great Martyr Panteleimon. The altar is framed by a rich iconostasis, on the sides of which are the Holy images of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, the Most Holy Three-Handed, the Most Holy Intercessor of the Travelers, the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God.