Kemerovo is a city in Russia, the administrative
center of the Kemerovo region. It currently occupies the thirtieth
place in terms of population and the fiftieth in area among the
cities of Russia. It is located in the south of Western
Siberia, on both banks of the Tom and Iskitimka rivers, in the
northern part of the Kuznetsk coal basin (Kuzbass).
is an important administrative, economic, scientific, cultural,
transport and industrial center of Siberia. Kemerovo is the first
populated city in the Kemerovo Region and population density. The
city is the center of the Kemerovo agglomeration. Population -
558,973 people. (2018).
Since the beginning of the 20th
century, coal industry enterprises have been operating in the city.
There are enterprises of the chemical, light and food industries.
City Day is celebrated on June 12th.
History of Kemerovo
Kemerovo is an amalgamation of, and successor to, several older
Russian settlements. A waypoint named Verkhotomsky ostrog was
established nearby in 1657 on a road from Tomsk to Kuznetsk
fortress. In 1701, the settlement of Shcheglovsk was founded on the
left bank of the Tom; soon it became a village. By 1859, seven
villages existed where modern Kemerovo is now: Shcheglovka (or
Ust-Iskitimskoye), Kemerovo (named in 1734), Yevseyevo, Krasny Yar,
Kur-Iskitim (Pleshki), Davydovo (Ishanovo), and Borovaya. In 1721,
coal was discovered in the area. The first coal mines were
established in 1907, later a chemical plant was established in 1916.
By 1917, the population of Shcheglovo had grown to around 4,000
The area's further development was boosted by the
construction of a railway between Yurga and Kolchugino (now
Leninsk-Kuznetsky) with a connection between Topki and Shcheglovo.
Shcheglovo was granted town status on May 9, 1918, which is now
considered to be the date of Kemerovo's founding; and was later
known as Shcheglovsk. The town became the central location for the
Kuzbass Autonomous Industrial Colony which was established there in
1921. 650 workers from 20 different countries settled there and set
up what became the Kemerovo Coke Chemical Plant. Some of their
descendants visited the modern factory in 2011. On May 27, 1932,
Shcheglovsk was renamed Kemerovo and became the administrative
center of Kemerovo Oblast in 1943. In March 2018, 64 people were
killed when a fire broke out in a shopping mall in the town.