Korsakov, Russia

Korsakov (from 1869 to 1908 - the Korsakov post, from 1908 to 1946 - Oodomari; Japanese 大 泊) is a port city in Russia, the administrative center of the Korsakov urban district of the Sakhalin region. The second most populous city in the region, one of the centers of the regional industry and the most important transport hub in the region ("South Gate of Sakhalin"). Since 2016 it has been included in the Free Port of Vladivostok zone.

The history of Korsakov is directly related to the history of the early development of the island by both Russians and Japanese. However, back in 1643, the Dutchman De Vries landed at the Ainu village on the site of the present city. In 1679, samurai from the Matsumae principality arrived in this village and established their first post, which lasted for several years. The first Russians to visit here in 1805 were the participants of the round-the-world expedition of IF Kruzenshtern. On September 22 (October 4), 1853, G.I. Nevelskoy proclaimed Sakhalin a Russian possession and established the Muravyov post in Kusunkotan, evacuated 10 months later for foreign policy reasons.


Getting in

By train
Suburban trains between Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and Korsakov run from 1 to 3 times a day, and in winter they may not be available at all on weekends. Travel time is about 1 hour. The Korsakov station itself is located on the outskirts of the city, but all trains run from / to the Five Corners station, located in the center.

Convenient route: get to Korsakov by bus, return by evening train. He walks along the ocean, in the summer you can see the sunset from it.

By bus
Minibuses run between the city and Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, departing as they fill up with passengers. The fare is 130 rubles. Travel time is from 15 minutes to half an hour, depending on the conditions on the road. You can get there by bus number 115 for 130 rubles, but the journey will take 60 minutes. The bus stops at all stops, payment in cash to the driver.

By car

On a ferryboat
Ferry line to Wakkanai, (Hokkaido) closed in 2019

Yuzhno-Kurilsk, Kuril Islands - the passenger ship Igor Farkhutdinov departs in this direction, in 2022 it runs according to the schedule.
It is possible to sail to the mainland, but again, the schedule is not available. It is best to use regular flights from Kholmsk.


Getting around

The town is small, so it can be walked. There are buses and taxis. The main street is Sovetskaya, which is crossed by smaller streets. Neighboring villages are accessible by bus.



Of the architecture of the Karafuto period, the building of the former branch of the Hokkaido Takushoku Bank (北海道 拓殖 銀行), built in 1929 at the intersection of Sakaemachi and Ginza streets, is best known. In Soviet times, it also housed banking institutions, then during the 1990s-2010s it was in an abandoned state, gradually collapsing (although back in 1999 it received the status of an architectural monument of regional significance). In 2016, it was decided to reconstruct it; it is planned to house a branch of the Sakhalin Regional Museum in the building.

Other Japanese buildings survived: two school pavilions "hoanden" (Japanese 奉安 殿): one was located on the street. Ushakova not far from school number 3 (until in 2018 it was transferred to the territory of the city museum), another - on the street. Green (both in the areas of the location of the non-preserved buildings of the Japanese elementary school and the men's gymnasium, respectively); a brick storage for documents ("bunseko", Japanese 文 書庫), built at the beginning of the 20th century (now on the territory of secondary school No. 1 on Krasnoflotskaya Street); warehouses-kuro (jap. 倉) made of glazed bricks along Oktyabrskaya and Admiralteyskaya streets, as well as buildings on the territory of the former corrugated packaging factory and individual wooden dwelling houses in different parts of the city; military pillboxes with underground tunnels along Putinnaya street and in the area of ​​the abandoned construction site of the nautical school.

The monument to those who fell for the liberation of Korsakov from the Japanese militarists in its original form was erected in June 1951 on Shkolnaya Street in the city square (now Memorial Square). In 1956, the monument was reconstructed, and in 1959 - a complete replacement. In 1971, the object was registered as an architectural monument of regional significance. The opening of the renewed monument, faced with black polished slabs, took place in early December 2007.

Among other sights of the Soviet period, a mosaic panel on the building of a children's art school built in 1977 is distinguished, as well as the longest (about 40 m) thematic panel on the island, erected on the fence of the northern region of the port on the 110th anniversary of the birth of V.I.Lenin and consisting of three parts, reflecting the main milestones in the formation of the USSR.

At the old cemetery, there is a Monument to the inhabitants of Otomari who died in 1945, which is a four-sided pyramid with a three-stage base and metal plaques with texts in Japanese and Russian: "Let us pray for the repose of the souls of those who rest here, for peace and friendship between peoples." It was created in 1993 with the assistance of the Japanese side, which took over the financing. Dedicated including to those who were buried in a nearby Japanese cemetery and whose graves were later lost. Belonged to the monuments of history and culture of the Sakhalin region (Decree of the Administration of the Sakhalin region of 12.03.1999 No. 80).

Memorial to the Sakhalin Koreans, victims of Japanese militarism - on Primorsky Boulevard, on the so-called Sadness Mountain (korean 의). Opened November 3, 2007. The author of the stele is a professor at Seoul University Choi Ying Su (Korean 최인수).

An observation deck with views of the city, bay and sea. Originally arranged by the Japanese in the 1910s as part of Kaguraoka Park (я 楽 岡), which in the early 1960s received a new development as a Park of Culture and Leisure and in 1968 was named in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Komsomol.



Alpha Hotel, Krasnoflotskaya St., 31 (On the corner of Lenin Square). ☎ +7(42435) 41-010. The only hotel in the city, the price per room is from 5600 rubles. Rooms are new and big



Korsakov is one of the first two Russian settlements on Sakhalin and in the region as a whole, established by Russian sailors in 1853 as military posts. Officially, the founding day of Korsakov is September 22 (October 4), 1853. City Day is celebrated annually on the third Sunday of September.

Period before 1853
Initially, Ainu villages were located on the site of the future city, the first documentary evidence of which dates back to the 17th century. In July 1643, the Dutch navigator De Vries was the first European to explore the coast of Sakhalin on the ship Castricum, giving the name to Aniva Bay. On July 16, 1643, he landed near the village within the boundaries of present-day Korsakov and fixed its local name as Aniva-Tamari - the same as that of the neighboring cape and the adjacent bay (later the variant "Tomari-Aniva" was fixed). In 1679, Japanese samurai from the Matsumae clan arrived from Hokkaido to the Ainu settlement called Kusunkotan (Kusun-kotan or Kusunkotan, Jap. 久春古丹) and established a post that lasted until the early 1680s. Later studies have shown that the toponyms Tomari-Aniva and Kusunkotan are synonymous. Of the other villages within the current city, Hakka-Tomari (Akkatuwari; Hahka-Tomari; Jap. ハツコトマリ; 函泊) and Poro-an-Tomari (Jap. ポロアン; 大泊) are regularly mentioned in the second half of the 19th century.

In 1790, the principality of Matsumae sent a contractor, Murayama Dembei, to organize a fishing site on the island, who built trading warehouses in Kusunkotan, and organized a trading post in Shiranushi, an Ainu village near Cape Crillon. In 1800, the principality transferred the administration of Sakhalin under its direct jurisdiction, and the practical affairs of administration were entrusted to Sibai Chodai, who founded a trading station in Siranusi, and a business post in Kusunkotan as its branch.

In May 1805, I.F. Kruzenshtern, during the first Russian round-the-world expedition on the Nadezhda sloop, visited the south of Sakhalin, including Tomari-Aniva, mentioning two Ainu villages. According to him, one of them, the larger one, discovered by Lieutenant Commander M. I. Ratmanov, “is probably the main place of Japanese trade carried out by them in the Aniva Bay. He saw in it 100 houses of the Ainoskys and more than 300 people engaged in cleaning and drying fish, five small masted ships and one large one.

On October 6, 1806, the brig "Juno" under the command of Lieutenant Nikolai Khvostov, on a secret assignment from Count Rezanov, anchored in Aniva Bay. Thus began the first of the raids (known in historiography under the general name "the incident of Khvostov and Davydov"). The next day, the team landed and visited one of the Ainu villages "on the eastern side of the Aniva Bay" not far from Kusunkotan. On October 8, Khvostov, without official authority and in violation of the secret instructions given to him by N.P. Rezanov, proclaimed the island a possession of the Russian Empire. On October 9, having moved to Kusunkotan, which at that time was already the most important Japanese fishing industry on Sakhalin, the sailors ravaged Japanese shops and trading posts, and also captured four watchmen of the Matsumae clan, who remained there to spend the winter. Then all Japanese buildings and stocks of timber were burned. A week later, the Juno left the bay and returned 8 months later along with the Avos tender under the command of Davydov: on May 3, 1807, they marched along the coast and burned warehouses and houses in Kusunkotan.

On April 29, 1807, the Japanese government decided to withdraw under its direct control the Ezo lands (including southern Sakhalin and the southern Kuriles) from the jurisdiction of the principality of Matsumae due to its inability to cope with the protection of the territories. The defense of Karafuto was entrusted to the clans from the north of Honshu, and the Japanese garrison was stationed in Kusunkotan, which became the administrative center. The island returned to its former jurisdiction in December 1821. Since then, every year at the end of May, the Matsumae principality sent another shift of samurai to Kusunkotan to oversee the fishing and conduct the omusya (オムシャ) ceremony, during which the Ainu "greeted" the representatives of the prince and received goods in return. In early July, the garrison departed for Siranushi and from there returned to Ezo at the end of August.


Muravyov post (1853-1854) and the period until 1869