Hotels, motels and where to sleep
Restaurant, taverns and where to eat
Cultural (and not so cultural) events
Interesting information and useful tips
Description of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is a city in Russia, the
administrative center of the Kamchatka Territory. It constitutes an
administrative-territorial unit (a city of regional subordination),
within which the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky urban district
municipality is formed. Population - 181,216 people. (2018).
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky - the location of the base of the Pacific
Fleet of Russia.
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is the capital and
largest city and port of the region, in the local dialect Peter. It
is located on the shore of Avacha Bay, surrounded by snowy snowy
mountains visible on the horizon from anywhere in the city. The
population is 200 thousand people. It is the main arrival point for
travelers, has a developed tourist infrastructure.
History of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is considered to be founded by Danish
navigator Vitus Bering in the service of the Russian Navy, although
the foundation was laid by navigator Ivan Yelagin a few months
earlier. Bering reached Avacha Bay in late 1740 and as superior,
named the new settlement "Petropavlovsk" (Peter and Paul) after his
two ships, the St. Peter and the St. Paul, built in Okhotsk for his
second expedition. The town's location on the sheltered Avacha Bay
and at the mouth of the Avacha River saw it develop to become the
most important settlement in Kamchatka. It was granted town status
on April 9, 1812.
During the 1854–1855 Crimean War,
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky was put under siege by the Anglo-French
forces, but never fell. The city had been fortified under the
command of Nikolay Muravyov-Amursky in the years prior, but only
possessed a small garrison of a few hundred soldiers and sixty-seven
cannons. After much exchange of fire, 600 Anglo-French troops landed
south of the city, but were forced to retreat by only 230 Russian
troops after heavy fighting. One week later, 900 Anglo-French troops
landed east of the town, but were again repelled by the Russians.
The allied ships then retreated from Russian waters. The total
Russian losses were reported at around 100 men; those of the
Anglo-French at least five times that number.
At the time of
the Surrender of Japan in World War II, United States Naval
Construction Battalion 114 was in the Aleutians. In September 1945
the battalion was ordered to send a detachment to the USSR to build
a Naval Advance Base (a Fleet Weather Central). It was located 10
miles outside Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky and was code named TAMA. The
original agreement gave the Seabees 3 weeks to complete the camp.
Upon arrival the Russians told the Seabees they had 10 days and were
amazed that the Seabees did it. It was one of two that Stalin agreed
to. The other was near Khabarovsk, in buildings provided by the
Russians. For mail Petropavlovsk was assigned Navy number 1169, FPO
San Francisco. The American's use of these two bases was short
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky was a great source of fish,
particularly salmon, and crab meat for the Soviet Union in the 20th
century. Since the end of the Soviet era, fishing rights have also
been granted to foreign interests. Poaching of salmon for their
caviar at Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky remains a problem amid lax law
enforcement and widespread corruption.
To Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky by plane
Yelizovo Airport (Russian: Аэропорт Елизово) (IATA: PKC, ICAO:
UHPP) is an airport located in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Kamchatka
Krai. Its 3,400 m (11,200 ft) runway is long enough to accommodate a
fully loaded Ilyushin Il-96 or Boeing 707 aircraft. The main apron
contains 34 parking spaces, 18 of which can service large wide-body
airliners, such as Ilyushin IL-96; additional 8 paved spaces for
smaller aircraft and 12 unpaved parking spaces.