Pevek, Russia

Pevek (Chuk. Peekin, Peek) is a city in the Chukotka Autonomous Region of Russia. The administrative center of the urban district of Pevek.



The name comes from the Chukchi word peekinei, which means "thick, swollen mountain" - this is the name of the hill at the foot of which the city is located.

The city got its name from the Chukchi word "pagyt-kenay", which means "fragrant mountain". According to legend, at the foot of the mountain near the modern city, a battle took place between the Chukchi and Yukaghirs, and the smell of the bodies of the dead remained for a long time in these places, because the aborigines did not bury the dead. Therefore, the Chukchi did not settle in this territory for a long time, but only temporarily brought their herds here in the summer.



It is located on the eastern coast of the strait of the same name, connecting the Chaunskaya Bay and the East Siberian Sea, opposite the Routan Islands, 640 km from Anadyr.



At the origins of the founding of the settlement was the Soviet statesman Naum Filippovich Pugachev, who arrived on the coast of Chaunskaya Bay on August 10, 1933. The first party meeting was held right on the seashore, at which the establishment of the Chaunsky district and the first settlements were announced, Pevek was appointed the main one.

In just a few years, Pevek has become an important regional port, thanks to its natural harbor (Chaunskaya Bay), the development of the Northern Sea Route and the discovery of the largest stockwork tin deposit in Russia in terms of stockworks - "Pyrkakayskie stockwork", which is about 85 km east of Pevek. Later, other deposits of tin, gold, mercury, uranium, and coal were discovered.

In 1936-1937, geological expeditions were carried out in the region, which discovered a rich alluvial tin deposit 80 km from Pevek.

1941, the entire tin mining industry was created, which existed until the 90s.

In 1942, the first highway was built connecting Pevek and the Krasnoarmeisky mine.

In 1942 the first two-story building was built. From 1938 to 1957, the Office of the Chaunlag and Chaunchukotlag forced labor camps, which were part of the Main Directorate of Construction in the Far North (abbreviated as Dalstroy), was located here.

In 1948, the Chaunsky District Geological Prospecting Department was formed.

In 1950, the settlement numbered about 1500 people.

On March 21, 1951, the settlement was transformed into an urban-type settlement, and the decree on this was issued under the heading "secret". For some time after that, Pevek was not indicated on geographical maps.

On April 6, 1967, it became a city.

By 1967, more than 10 thousand people live in Pevek.

In 1968, an automatic telephone exchange was installed in Pevek, and a new secondary school was built.

On October 8, 1974, with the launch of the Orbit-2 long-range space radio communication complex, television appeared in the city.

In 1976, the city of Pevek was awarded the Challenging Red Banner of the Central Committee of the CPSU, the Council of Ministers of the USSR, the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions and the Central Committee of the Komsomol; Pevek entered the top 100 cities of the country.

Secondary school No. 2 was commissioned in 1982.

The city acquired two large microdistricts, its population in the early 1980s increased to 13 thousand people.

In May 1985, the Glory Monument was opened.

In the spring of 1994, the Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Anadyr and Chukotka dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church was opened in the old building of the local history museum.