Provideniya, Russia


Provideniya is an urban-type settlement in the Chukotka Autonomous Region of Russia, the administrative center of the Providensky District.



The village is named after the bay, in turn named by the English captain Thomas Moore in 1848.


Geographical position

The village of Provideniya is located in the southeastern part of the Chukotka Peninsula, on the coast of Provideniya Bay of the Bering Sea. On the opposite side of the bay there are the settlement of Ureliki and the airport "Provideniya Bay".



After the discovery of the Bay of Providence by the Russian expedition of Kurbat Ivanov in 1660, fishing and wintering of whaling and merchant ships began here on a regular basis. At the beginning of the 20th century, with the beginning of the development of the Northern Sea Route, a coal warehouse was organized on the coast of the bay to replenish the fuel supplies of ships bound for the Arctic, and by 1934 the first buildings of the future seaport appeared here, which became the city-forming for the village of Provideniya.

In 1937, with the arrival of a caravan of ships with building materials, the forces of the Providenstroy enterprise began active construction of the port and the village, and at the end of 1945, the Kamchatka Regional Committee of the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks (Bolsheviks) adopted a resolution to create "in the Chukotka region, a working settlement of Providence on the basis of the settlement of Glavsevmorput in the Bay of Providence" ...

On May 10, 1946, the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR was issued on the formation of the village of Provideniya, which is considered the official date of the foundation of the settlement.

The village continued to get upset quickly, this was facilitated by the redeployment of military units here. In 1947, the first public building was built - a canteen.

In accordance with the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR dated April 25, 1957, Provideniya became an urban-type settlement and the center of the newly formed district of the same name as part of the Chukotka National District of the Magadan Region.

In 1959, the Leningrad design institute "Giproarktika" prepared a plan for the development of the village, taking into account the features of the terrain. The village stretches out in a narrow strip along the northern coast of the bay, while the limited construction sites forced the rebuilding of new houses up the slope of Portovaya Mountain.

In 1962, a tannery was built, and two years later - a marine animal processing plant.

In 1975, according to the newly created general plan for the development of the village, by 2000 Provideniya was supposed to become a city with a population of twelve thousand, while it was proposed to rename it Dezhnev. However, the socio-economic upheavals in the post-Soviet period left these plans unfulfilled. In the period from 1994 to 2002. in the village there was no construction at all.

Providence urban settlement
Until the end of the 1980s, about 6,000 people lived in the village, but in the 1990s, due to the mass movement of residents to the mainland, the administrative unification of two villages - Ureliki and Provideniya took place.


Monuments and memorials

In 1978, a monument to Vitus Bering was erected - a ship's anchor. The information plate reads: “To Vitus Bering and his companions in honor of the 250th anniversary of the First Kamchatka expedition of 1725-1730. From the Far Eastern Higher Marine Engineering School named after G. I. Nevelskoy, the Geographical Society of the USSR and the crews of the yachts Rodina and Russia. August 1978 ".
In 2010, on the 65th anniversary of Victory in Providence, a memorial stone was erected near the administration building with the inscription: "With gratitude from fellow visionaries, war and labor veterans for victory in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945."
In 2016, a memorial sign was installed in honor of the 75th anniversary of the formation of the Konigsberg Order of the Red Star of the 110th border detachment. Text: “From 1941 to 2004, the headquarters of military unit 2254 of the border troops of the Russian Federation was stationed at this place. Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation. Border Administration for the Eastern Arctic Region ”.
On October 13, 2016, a memorial plaque was installed on the building of the Provideniya Bay airport by the Public Council for the Preservation of the Historical Heritage of the Far East at VOOPIiK (Khabarovsk), a memorial plaque to the participant in the rescue of the Chelyuskinites, pilot Alexander Svetogorov. The text says:
“Here, to Provideniya Bay, the main gathering point for winterers, in May 1934 he delivered 29 passengers and crew members of the sunken steamer Chelyuskin from the village of Uelen”.



The motor ship "Kapitan Sotnikov" goes to Provideniya along the transit route Anadyr-Lavrentiya.

Regular buses run on the routes "Provideniya - Airport" and "Provideniya - Novoe Chaplino" (on the only road (dirt) in Providensky district). Shift buses are used on the Ural-4320 chassis.