Monument to Flooded Ships is one
of the most famous monuments dedicated to the Russian Nave.
It is depicted on the coat of arms of the city and is
considered one of the Sevastopol's main attractions. Monument
to Flooded Ships is lcoated the Sevastopol Bay, the
waterfront Promenade. Monument to Flooded Ships was erected in
1905 in honor of the 50th anniversary of the dirst defense of
Sevastopol during the Crimean war. It marks a tragic event when
Russian sailors were forced to sink their own ships and move to land
fortress at the face of approaching Anglo- French navy. In total
they sank 80 ships. Ship cannons were removed and added to the
battery on land. After rule of Russian Emperor Nicholas I Black Sea
Fleet didn't see much modernization. While most of the Russian Navy
was made up of sailing ships, Western European fleet already began
adding ironclads with greater firing range and better protection.
Russian sailing ships couldn't compete with technologically advanced
navy at sea so defense of the Russian base became the only feasable
way to resist invasion. Sunken ships created a problem for the
Anglo- French ships and in combination with the shore batteries
greatly decreased invaders' technological superiority.
Monument to Flooded Ships was designed by an Estonian sculptor A.
Adamson as well as military engineers O. Enberg and V. Feldman.
Light gray column was installed on the natural granite boulders
cliff that is barely visible above sea waves. Columned is crowned by
a capital with a huge bronze double- headed eagle with outstretched
wings. Its gaze is directed toward the entrance into the Sevastopol
Bay and Black Sea beyond. Eagle's heads are crowned by a large
imperial crown. In its beak it holds a massive wreath. Left side is
made up of laurel leaves, and the right side is made up of acorns
and oak leaves. A sea anchor is attached to the wreath by a hanging
chain. Breast of the eagle carries a shield with the image of Saint
George. Base of the column consists of hexagonal pedestal of hewn
granite blocks. Side of pedestal that is facing the promenade is
covered by scenes of the flooding ships. Inscription below a bas
relief states "In memory of ships sunk in 1854-55 to block the
entrance of ships". A signature of a sculpture ("A. Adamson,
scultpor, 1904") is also visible in the lower right corner.
Monument to Flooded Ships is one of the main symbols and hallmark of
Sevastopol. Its central location is the reason why most of tourists
come and see it during their visits.