Description of the Military Historic Museum of the Navy
Military Historic Museum of the Navy was opened on
September 14th, 1869 in Sevastopol in a private residence of
General- Engineer E.I. Totleben. He was one of the few survivors of
the first defence of Sevastopol in the course of the Crimean War.
Museum was established under supervision of a special committee.
Most of the members of the original administration of the Military
Historic Museum were veterans of the Crimean War. The head of this
committee was Lieutenant General P.K. Men'koy who was the chief
editor of the military newspaper "Russian Invalid". He managed to
gather twelve thousand rubles (huge sum by those days) in a fairly
short period of time. In addition to monetary donations newly
established Museum of the Navy accepted trophies, physical objects
from veterans of the Crimean War and their families. By 1913 Museum
exposition contained over 2000 items on its display. People donated
these mementos without desire for any monetary gain. After Russian Revolution of 1917 and subsequent
Russian Civil War Military Historic Museum was expanded. New rooms
in the museum of the Navy included items dedicated to Russian
Revolution of 1905 and 1917. Upon beginning of World War II Military
Historic Museum expanded even further. Many soldiers and sailors
travelled from the frontlines to deliver documents of their fallen
comrades, their helmets and other items with hopes that Museum will
preserve personal mementos of people who died for their country. As
German and their Romanian allies moved closer to Sevastopol,
collection of the Museum had to move. First it moved to
Baku (today it is
capital of independent Azerbaijan) and later to Ulyanovsk.
After Sevastopol was liberated from Nazi forces
collection of Military Historic Museum of the Navy returned back to
their home town. The building of the Museum was badly damaged during
the years of occupation so exposition was transferred to the art
gallery located on the Nakhimov street for temporary storage.
Military Historic Museum of the Navy was re- opened on August 15th,
1948 after extensive reconstruction. Today museum is open to the
public. It contains a unique collection of ancient and modern
weapons, models of historic ships, paintings of battles and old
photographs. In the courtyard of Military Historic Museum military
equipment is presented to the public.