Ulyanovsk Oblast, Russia

The Ulyanovsk region is a subject of the Russian Federation, part of the Volga Federal District. The administrative center is the city of Ulyanovsk.

The region borders in the east with the Samara region, in the south with the Saratov region, in the west with the Penza region and the Republic of Mordovia, in the north with the Chuvash Republic and the Republic of Tatarstan.

Formed on January 19, 1943 by Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Historically, the region was preceded by the Simbirsk province, formed in 1780.






Other destinations

White Lake is a self-cleaning lake in the middle part of the Volga Upland, on a high watershed plateau with an absolute height of 320 m. It is a monument of the Ice Age; the age of the lake is estimated at 250 thousand years. A specially protected natural area since 1974. Located 260 km from Ulyanovsk in the Nikolaevsky district of the Ulyanovsk region. The resort is located 12 km south of the Moscow-Samara-Ufa-Chelyabinsk highway. A railway runs parallel to the highway.
National Park "Sengileevskie Mountains"
A deposit of quartz sand and boulders made from it near the village of Silikatny, Sengileevsky district.
Resort complex in the village of Undory, Ulyanovsk region. In one place there are: mineral springs with a mineral water bottling plant, several sanatoriums, the Volga River coast with a beach, a ski resort, a paleontological museum (currently closed). Travel by minibus/bus 111 from Ulyanovsk (Central Bus Station or Park Pobedy bus station, depending on the route).


How to get there

By plane
1  Ulyanovsk (Barataevka) named after N. M. Karamzin (IATA:ULV). ☎ +78422455644. Ulyanovsk International Airport (Barataevka) is a civil airport of federal significance. By order of the governor of the Ulyanovsk region, the airport was named after Nikolai Mikhailovich Karamzin. Located on the right bank of the Volga, 9 km southwest of the center of Ulyanovsk, 3 km south of the settlement of Barataevka (part of the city). Currently under reconstruction, they promised to open on May 5, 2018, but the date was postponed. You can get there by buses 13c (seasonal gardening route) and 66, minibuses 12, 91, 107, 129 from the nearest stop, which is 714 meters away. Also, minibus 91 can call directly to the airport building. From November 20, 2018, a special minibus began to pick up arriving passengers. The highway to Saransk runs nearby.

2  Ulyanovsk-Vostochny (IATA:ULY). ☎ +78422201504. Ulyanovsk-Vostochny International Airport is an airport of federal significance. Located on the left bank of the Volga, 35 km east of the city center of Ulyanovsk.

By train
Railway railway station "Central", station "Upper Terrace" - both stations are located in Ulyanovsk.

Railway station "Dimitrovgrad" and stations in the cities of Inza, Barysh and other settlements.

A peculiarity of the railways passing through the region is that the lines to Ulyanovsk itself and to Dimitrovgrad are not electrified, and in general Ulyanovsk is not a large railway junction. Residents often travel to neighboring Chuvashia, to the city of Kanash, where there is a greater choice of destinations.

The largest railway junction in the Ulyanovsk region is the city of Inza, where electrified lines to Moscow and Samara and a non-electrified line to Ulyanovsk intersect.


Local transport

Most of the railways are not electrified, so there are no electric trains here. From Ulyanovsk there are so-called "rail buses" to Dimitrovgrad (once a day on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, along with much more frequent buses). Also, local trains run once a day, consisting of several carriages with seats, driven by one diesel locomotive - to Inza, Glotovka and Maina. There are real electric trains running from Inza to Syzran - the only commuter train that crosses the regional border. In 2012 there was a “rail bus” to Kazan, but it was canceled that same year.

River navigation
Suburban passenger shipping on the Volga has been virtually non-existent since the 2000s. From the Ulyanovsk river port there are only pleasure flights within the city and flights to Bely Yar.


Physiographic characteristics


The Ulyanovsk region is located in the east of the European part of Russia, in the Middle Volga region. From north to south the region stretches for 250 km (52° 31' - 54° 53' N), from west to east - 290 km. (45° 48' - 50° 15' E). The total area of the region is 37.2 thousand km². In terms of territory, it ranks 59th in Russia and the last among the 8 regions of the Volga region. In the Volga Federal District, the Ulyanovsk region is in 11th place out of 14 regions in terms of territory.

The Volga River divides the region's territory into the elevated Right Bank and the low-lying Left Bank (Zavolzhye).



The right-bank part is occupied by the Volga Upland (height up to 363 m) with the Undorsky, Kremensky and Sengileevsky mountains facing the Volga. The surface of the left bank part is a gently undulating plain.



The Ulyanovsk region has an extensive hydrographic network. 2,030 rivers, rivulets and streams flow through its territory with a total length of 10,294 km. The total flow of the region's rivers per year averages about 241.5 km³, 97.3% of which falls on the Volga River.

The main river is the Volga (Kuibyshev and Saratov reservoirs). The major rivers are: Sura, its length is 841 km, Sviyaga - 375 km, Bolshoy Cheremshan - 336 km, Tereshka - 273 km, Barysh - 247 km.



The climate is moderate continental, with cold winters and hot summers. A feature of the region's climate is a short, dry spring. Autumn in the Ulyanovsk region is usually warm; Snow cover sets in in the second half of November. The coldest month is January. Winter is snowy with frequent temperature changes (Atlantic cyclones are replaced by Arctic air masses and vice versa), lasts from mid-November to mid-March. Sometimes in the southern regions of the region, in the winter-spring period, the Voeikov axis passes through, influencing the local climate. The average temperature in January is −12°C, in July +20°C. Summer weather sets in in mid-May. Summers are usually hot due to the influence of sedentary Asian anticyclones. In July, on average, there are 5 days with an average daily temperature above 22°C. Precipitation ranges from 350 mm in the south of the region to 500 mm in the northwest. In summer, precipitation falls unevenly in the form of torrential and short-term rains. Droughts are common in the region. The growing season lasts about 180 days.



The soils are predominantly leached chernozem and gray forest; on the left bank of the Volga there is a large tract of especially fertile rich chernozem.

Forests occupy 1/4 of the territory. In the northwest there are large tracts of oak forests with linden and maple; in the Volga region there are meadow steppes and isolated pine forests.

The modern flora of the Ulyanovsk region includes over 1,700 species of vascular plants, of which more than 400 are adventitious species.

The Red Book of the Ulyanovsk region includes 219 species of vascular plants and 22 species of mosses.

The fauna of the Ulyanovsk region includes 442 species of vertebrates, including: 84 species of mammals from 6 orders and 19 families, of which 34 species are from the rodent order, 17 species from the carnivorous order, 17 species from the chiropteran order, 10 species from the insectivorous order, 4 species from the order Artiodactyla, 2 species from the order Lagomorpha; 275 bird species from 19 orders; 10 species of reptiles from 2 orders; 10 species of amphibians from 2 orders; 62 species of bony fishes and 1 species of cyclostomes from 14 orders.

The fauna is represented by elk, marten, fox, squirrel, hare, wild boar, wolf; reptiles: lizards, snakes, vipers, etc. Waterfowl and marsh-shore birds are numerous. In the Kuibyshev Reservoir - bream, pike perch, carp, crucian carp, etc.

On the territory of the region there are specially protected natural areas (SPNA): the Sengileevskie Mountains National Park, the Protected Zone of the Volga Forest-Steppe State Reserve, the natural monuments Undorovsky Mineral Spring, Relict Forests, Borok Island, the Genko forest belt, etc. .
There are many healing springs and springs in the region.



The leading position in the structure of the region's mineral resources is occupied by oil (explored reserves amount to 42 million tons), glass, and cement (reserves of chalk, clays and diatomites for cement production in the region are practically unlimited, so the five largest deposits of chalk for cement production have been explored with with total reserves of 380 million tons, the most promising areas of the Ulyanovsk region are Sengileevsky, Ulyanovsky, Mainsky and Terengulsky), siliceous (reserves 50 million tons, large deposits - Inzenskoye, Zabaluiskoye) and carbonate raw materials (reserves 12 million tons), as well as raw materials for rough ceramics. Also in the region, 493 peat deposits with reserves of 33.2 million tons have been identified and explored.




According to archaeological science, the settlement of the Middle Volga region by people occurred more than 100 thousand years ago. The presence of human groups in the Ulyanovsk Volga region during the Paleolithic era is evidenced by individual sites and locations of stone and bone tools discovered at the mouth of the Cheremshan River on the Tunguz Peninsula, on the Volga coast in the area of the Undorovsky resort.

In the 1980s, archaeologist Galina Matveeva, during excavations in the Ulyanovsk region of the Staromainsky settlement, put forward the opinion that representatives of the Imenkovo culture were Slavs. The tribes of the Imenkovo culture occupied the territory from the right bank of the Lower Kama to the mouth of the Samara River, from the middle reaches of the Sura to the middle reaches of the Belaya River. Now this is the Ulyanovsk region, Samara region, Tatarstan. Archaeologists have found more than 600 ancient settlements and villages that existed between the 3rd and 7th centuries AD belonging to the Imenkovo culture. The Staromaina archaeological complex is formed by the monuments Staraya Maina I, Staraya Maina II, and Staraya Maina VI).

After the arrival of the Bulgars in the Middle Volga region, in the second half of the 7th century, the monuments of the Imenkovites disappeared. It is believed that some of the Imenkovites dissolved into the Bulgars, some went west to the interfluve of the Dnieper and Don, founding the Volyntsevo culture and, mixing with the Kolochin and Penkovo cultures that existed in these places, became the ancestors of Kievan Rus. The Volyntsevo culture is an archaeological culture of the early Middle Ages (VIII-IX centuries), located in the area between the Dnieper and Don rivers. The carriers of culture are considered to be the proto-northerners, according to V.V. Sedov - the predominantly Slavic population, first called the Polans, and later the Dews or Russes.

In the 8th - 9th centuries, the Ulyanovsk Volga region became part of the Early Volga Bulgaria as a union of nomadic Turkic-speaking and sedentary Finno-Ugric tribes. After the Mongol invasion, the region became part of the Golden Horde.

At the end of the 14th - beginning of the 15th century, after the devastating raid of the Central Asian ruler Tamerlane, the desolation of the territory of the Ulyanovsk Volga region began.

In 1438, the region became part of a new state formation - the Kazan Khanate. Among the settlements of this period, the village of Karsun is known. After the destruction of the Kazan Khanate by the troops of Ivan IV (the Terrible) in 1552, the Volga Cossacks began to develop the territory of the Ulyanovsk region. There are well-known Cossack villages in the vicinity of the town of Sengilei.


Simbirsk trait

At the end of the 40s of the 17th century, under the general leadership of the steward Bogdan Khitrovo, the construction of the Karsun-Sinbirsk abatis line began (1647-1654). In 1648, the wooden fortress of Sinbirsk was founded, headed by a governor. And from the settlements and suburbs of the Sinbirsky area, the Sinbirsky district was formed.


Simbirsk district

22 years after the founding of Simbirsk, the city had to withstand a siege by troops led by Stepan Razin.

Main article: Siege of Simbirsk and Battle of the Kandarat River

In the 18th century, due to the expansion of the territory of the Russian state (in particular, in the eastern direction), the southern regions of the current territory of the Ulyanovsk region began to be intensively developed and populated, and Sinbirsk itself began to lose its military-strategic importance. As a result, in 1708 the military department was liquidated, and the Karsun district became part of the Sinbir district, and the district itself became part of the Kazan province.

In 1717, Sinbirsky district became part of the Astrakhan province.


Simbirsk province

In 1719, the Sinbir province was formed from the district.

In 1728, the Sinbir province again became part of the Kazan province.

In 1767, Empress Catherine II visited Sinbirsk. (See article: Catherine II's journey along the Volga)

In 1774, the prisoner Emelyan Pugachev was brought to Sinbirsk and interrogated from October 2 to 6. A.V. Suvorov personally arrived in Sinbirsk to interrogate the impostor. On October 26, Pugachev was sent from Sinbirsk to Moscow.

See article: Simbirsk portraits of Emelyan Pugachev


Simbirsk governorship

In 1780, Sinbirsk was renamed Simbirsk and became a provincial city of the newly established governorate (province), consisting of 13 districts.


Simbirsk province

In 1796, the Simbirsk governorship was reorganized into the Simbirsk province.

In September 1812, for the Patriotic War, the Simbirsk militia was created, the head of which was elected D.V. Tenishev.

In Simbirsk in the fall of 1833, the great Russian poet Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin stopped on his way to Orenburg.

Throughout the 19th century and before the revolution, the city hosted an annual National Fair, one of the largest in the Volga region; its turnover in some years reached 10 million rubles. Merchants brought manufactured goods, leather, wool, horses to Simbirsk, and exported bread and fruits.

In 1864, on August 13, a terrible fire occurred in Simbirsk, which lasted 9 days. A fourth of the city survived. The building of the noble assembly and the Karamzin library in it, the Spassky Monastery, 12 churches, the post office, all the best private buildings burned down.

In Simbirsk, on April 22, 1870, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin was born on Streletskaya Street.

On April 22 (May 4), 1881, politician Alexander Fedorovich Kerensky was born in Simbirsk.

In 1890, the first power plant of the province began operating, through the efforts of philanthropist and public figure Nikolai Shatrov, where it provided energy for a cloth factory.

Soviet power in the Simbirsk province was established a month and a half after the October Revolution - December 10, 1917.

In 1918, the province found itself in the center of a civil war. In July 1918, Simbirsk was captured by KOMUCH troops under the leadership of General Kappel. But on September 12 it was recaptured by the Bolsheviks, as a result of which Soviet power was restored in the city. Directly captured by the “Iron Division”, which was led by the Red Divisional Commander Guy.

For some time the headquarters and the Revolutionary Military Council of the Eastern Front were located in Simbirsk. The Simbirsk Cartridge Plant played an important role in providing the Red Army with ammunition.

In 1924, Simbirsk was renamed Ulyanovsk in memory of the city’s native Vladimir Ulyanov (Lenin), and the province was renamed Ulyanovsk Governorate.


Ulyanovsk district

On May 14, 1928, the Ulyanovsk province of the RSFSR was abolished, and on its territory the following districts were formed: Ulyanovsk, Mordovian (initially Saransk), and Syzran districts.

The Ulyanovsk district, together with 9 other districts, became part of the newly formed Middle Volga region.

On October 20, 1929, the Middle Volga region was transformed into the Middle Volga region.

On July 29, 1930, the Ulyanovsk district, like other districts, was abolished. And all districts of the district were directly subordinate to the Middle Volga region (in 1935 the Kuibyshev region was created, and since 1936 - the Kuibyshev region).

With the beginning of general collectivization in the USSR, political purges began in the regions.

With the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, enterprises, institutions, and population from the western regions of the country, from Moscow and Leningrad were evacuated to Ulyanovsk and to the areas of the future region located in the rear. The Ulyanovsk Automobile Plant (UAZ) and the Ulyanovsk Motor Plant (UMZ) arose in 1941 on the basis of the evacuated Moscow ZIS. In the fall of 1941, on the territory of the Sursky region, part of the Sursky defense line was built. In 1942, the Volzhskaya Rokada was built in the areas of the future region. And although there were no hostilities in the areas of the future region, enemy bombers tried to blow up vital facilities in the front-line zone. So in the Pavlovsk region in October 1942, in the area of ​​the Baklushinsky rural settlement, a German bomber was rammed by N.F. Shutov’s fighter.


Ulyanovsk region

On January 19, 1943, by Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the Ulyanovsk region was formed with its center in the city of Ulyanovsk, which included the districts of the Kuibyshev region: Astradamovsky, Bazarno-Syzgansky, Baryshsky, Bogdashkinsky, Veshkaimsky, Inzensky, Karsunsky, Kuzovatovsky, Mainsky, Malo-Kandalinsky, Melekessky, Nikolo-Cheremshansky, Novo-Malyklinsky, Novo-Spassky, Pavlovsky, Radishchevsky, Sengileevsky, Staro-Kulatkinsky, Staro-Mainsky, Sursky, Tagai, Terengulsky, Ulyanovsky, Cherdaklinsky districts and districts of the Penza region: Baranovsky and Nikolaevsky.

On December 14, 1943, Isheevsky and Zhadovsky districts were formed.

On February 11, 1944, the Tiinsky district was formed.

On March 12, 1946, the Ignatovsky district was formed.

On November 2, 1956, the following were abolished: Bazarno-Syzgansky, Baranovsky, Zhadovsky, Isheevsky, Ignatovsky, Malo-Kandalinsky, Nikolo-Cheremshansky, Tagaisky, Tiinsky districts.

On October 22, 1960, the Astradam district was abolished.

By Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR No. 741/84 of February 1, 1963, the regions of the region were divided into rural and industrial areas. The industrial areas included: Inzensky (the city of Inza, the settlements of Bazarny Syzgan, Glotovka and Yazykovo) and Sengileevsky (the city of Sengilei, the settlements of Krasny Gulyai, Novoulyanovsk, Isheevka and Tsilna) industrial areas. The rural areas included: Baryshsky, Inzensky, Karsunsky, Mainsky, Melekessky, Nikolaevsky, Novospassky, Terengulsky, Ulyanovsky, Cherdaklinsky rural areas. The following areas were abolished: Bogdashkinsky, Veshkaimsky, Kuzovatovsky, Novomalyklinsky, Novospassky, Pavlovsky, Radishchevsky, Starokulatinsky, Staromainsky, Sursky districts.

By decree of the RSFSR PVS dated March 4, 1964, two rural districts were formed: Starokulatkinsky and Sursky.

By the Decree of the PVS of the RSFSR dated January 12, 1965, the division of areas into industrial and rural was abolished. Unified districts were restored again and the region became 18 districts.

On November 3, 1965, two more districts were formed: Veshkaimsky and Tsilninsky.



In the 1950-1960s, new industrial enterprises were created in the Ulyanovsk region (Ulyanovsk Plant of Heavy and Unique Machine Tools (UZTS, 1966 (now SSZ), Ulyanovsk Mechanical Plant, Dimitrovgrad Research Institute of Atomic Reactors (DNIIAR), etc.). A road bridge was added to the railway “Imperial Bridge”, and the Ulyanovsk-Tsentralny Airport was built in Ulyanovsk.

On April 20, 1966, by Decree No. 4724-VI of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, “for the successes achieved in the development of the national economy,” the Ulyanovsk region was awarded the Order of Lenin.”

On October 31, 1968, the Ulyanovsk leather and footwear plant came into operation.

On January 1, 1969, a plant for the production of kieselguhr was erected near Inza - the Inzensky Filter Powder Plant (now the Inzensky Diatomite Plant).

On March 9, 1969, for increasing the production and procurement of livestock products, increasing the productivity of livestock and poultry and profitable livestock farming in 1968, the Ulyanovsk region was awarded the Challengeable Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions and cash prizes.

On April 21, 1969, the International Symposium of Scientists from the CMEA countries opened in Melekess. The symposium was attended by scientists from the countries: People's Republic of Belarus, Hungary, East Germany, Poland, Socialist Republic, Czechoslovakia, USSR, SFRY. The symposium was opened by the head of the State Committee for Atomic Energy of the USSR B. Baturov.

On August 3, 1969, the regional executive committee made a decision “On the design of a new city - Novoulyanovsk”, approving project No. 1 of the master plan for the new city of Novoulyanovsk.

On August 7, 1969, the Faculty of Light Industry of the UlPI branch was created in Melekess.

On September 20, 1969, the Ulyanovsk Regional Komsomol celebrated its 50th anniversary. On this occasion, the Ulyanovsk regional committee of the Komsomol was presented with a commemorative Red Banner of the regional committee of the CPSU. Speakers at the rally were: Secretary of the Komsomol Central Committee B. N. Pastukhov, First Secretary of the CPSU Regional Committee A. A. Skochilov and Yu. Goryachev, First Secretary of the Komsomol Regional Committee.

On December 24, 1969, the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Russian Central Council of Trade Unions, based on the results of socialist competition, for the successful harvesting and above-plan sales of grain in 1969, awarded the Ulyanovsk region second cash prizes of 10 thousand rubles.

In December 1969, the first stage of the Melekessky plant of body fittings, carburetors and liners (now DAAZ) was put into operation.



On April 16, 1970, General Secretary of the CPSU Central Committee Leonid Brezhnev inaugurated the Lenin Memorial.

On May 12, 1970, in the Great Hall of the Lenin Memorial, the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR G.I. Voronov, the Ulyanovsk region was presented with the challenge Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the USSR and the All-Russian Central Council of Trade Unions, awarded based on the results of the All-Union Socialist Competition in Agriculture for 1969.

On January 17, 1971, the first stage of the Ulyanovsk poultry farm for 100 thousand laying hens came into operation.

On February 18, 1971, the Ulyanovsk region became the winner of the All-Russian Socialist Competition in 1970 with the presentation of the challenge Red Banner by the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions and the first cash prize was awarded for high sunflower yields, and on March 6 - for success in livestock breeding.

On June 5, 1971, Mikhail Andreevich Suslov, a member of the Politburo of the CPSU Central Committee, Secretary of the CPSU Central Committee, visited a number of districts of the region.

On December 30, 1971, the first stage of the Melekess nonwoven materials factory was put into operation.

On May 12, 1972, the great Soviet artist Arkady Aleksandrovich Plastov (1893-1972) died. The funeral in Prislonikha was attended by the Minister of Culture of the RSFSR N.A. Kuznetsov, the Chairman of the Board of the Union of Artists of the RSFSR G.M. Korzhev, and the Secretary of the USSR Academy of Arts P.M. Sysoev.

On June 15, 1972, by resolution of the RSFSR PVS, the city of Melekess was renamed the city of Dimitrovgrad.

On October 8, 1972, the Regional Exhibition of National Economic Achievements took place in Ulyanovsk.

On May 21, 1973, the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR M.S. Solomentsev visited Dimitrovgrad, who visited the V.I. Lenin Research Institute of Agricultural Sciences, the Automotive Unit Plant named after the 50th Anniversary of the USSR, and the construction of the Melekes broiler factory.

On January 17, 1974, the Central Committee of the CPSU, the Council of Ministers of the USSR, the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions and the Central Committee of the Komsomol decided to recognize the Ulyanovsk region as the winner in the All-Union socialist competition for increasing the production and procurement of grain and other agricultural products in 1973.

On June 11, 1975, M. A. Suslov, a member of the Politburo of the CPSU Central Committee, visited the regions of the region.

On October 18, 1975, construction of the Ulyanovsk aviation-industrial complex began. The project cost is 3.5 billion rubles. The complex was supposed to consist of three factories: aircraft, instrument, aggregate, as well as a design bureau and an airfield; located on an area of 1.5 million square meters, employing over 55 thousand people. At first it was classified, but then it began to be built as the All-Union Komsomol shock construction site. The contingent of builders was: 25% from organizational recruitment, 25% from military construction detachments, 50% prisoners.

On April 21, 1976, following the results of the All-Russian Socialist Competition in 1975, the Challenger Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Russian Central Council of Trade Unions with the first cash prize was awarded for the development of the network of local highways in the region.

On May 17, 1977, the region's machine operators were presented with the challenge Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions.

On May 21, 1978, an elevator opened in Cherdakly.

In September 1978, for the 1980 Olympics, DAAZ began producing keychains with a talisman and commemorative medals.

On October 25-26, 1978, a zonal meeting-seminar of workers of agricultural authorities of the Volga economic region was held in Ulyanovsk, discussing measures to further increase livestock farming. At which the First Deputy Minister of Agriculture of the RSFSR V.I. Naumov spoke.

On November 30, 1979, the world's first nuclear heat supply station came into operation at the RIAR in Dimitrovgrad.



On August 24, 1980, the Dimitrovgrad house-building plant was created from the Dimitrovgrad factories - silicate concrete and precast reinforced concrete.

On August 29, 1980, M.A. Suslov again visited the regions.

On February 6, 1981, the Ulyanovsk oil and gas exploration expedition of the Volgokamskgeology association, following the results of the All-Union Socialist Competition for the fourth quarter of 1980, was awarded first place and the Red Banner of the Ministry of Geology of the USSR and the Central Committee of the trade union was awarded.

On May 30, 1981, the All-Union Conference “Radiation Safety of the Population and Environmental Protection in Connection with the Operation of Nuclear Power Plants” was held in Dimitrovgrad, organized by the USSR Ministry of Health, at which Deputy Minister A.I. Burnazyan spoke.

On June 7, 1981, following the results of socialist competition for the best provision of cultural services to the rural population in 1980, the Ulyanovsk region was awarded the challenge Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions.

On June 11, 1982, the city of Dimitrovgrad was awarded the Order of Friendship of Peoples.

On December 17, 1982, at the Lenin Memorial on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the formation of the USSR, candidate member of the CPSU Central Committee, academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Minister of Higher and Secondary Special Education of the USSR Ivan Filippovich Obraztsov presented the region with the challenge Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions.

On January 3, 1983, an enrichment plant was put into operation at the Tashlinsky quarry department - one of the largest enterprises of the Union; more than 150 enterprises feed on its products.

On February 8, 1983, the first stage of the Order of Lenin Center for joint training of flight, technical and dispatch personnel of civil aviation of the CMEA member countries was opened (CMEA GA Center).

On May 4, 1983, for increasing the production and procurement of livestock products and increasing the productivity of livestock and poultry for the first quarter of 1983, the Ulyanovsk region was recognized as the winner of the competition in the Volga region and was awarded the challenge Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions with a cash prize.

On May 5, 1983, for the successful implementation of plans for the construction and reconstruction of highways, improvement of their maintenance and improvement in 1982, the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions recognized the Ulyanovsk region as the winner in the All-Russian socialist competition, with the presentation of the challenge Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions.

On September 11, 1983, natural gas arrived in the southern regions of the region via the main gas pipeline.

On September 15, 1983, in the Great Hall of the Lenin Memorial, the presentation of the Certificate of Honor of the Central Committee of the CPSU, the Council of Ministers of the USSR, the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions and the Central Committee of the Komsomol took place, following the results of the All-Union Socialist Competition for the successful wintering of livestock, increasing production and purchasing of livestock products during the winter period of 1982-1983 .

On December 4, 1983, the sanatorium named after V.I. Lenin in Undory received its first vacationers.

On March 25, 1984, the Ulyanovsk region was awarded the challenge Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions for increasing production and purchasing of livestock products in 1983.

On June 24-26, 1984, the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR, V. I. Vorotnikov, visited the Ulyanovsk region.

On May 17, 1985, the CPSU Central Committee issued a resolution “On measures to overcome drunkenness and alcoholism,” after which an anti-alcohol campaign was launched in the region under the motto “Sobriety is the norm of life.” Prices for alcohol and yeast have increased. Soon there were alcohol-free weddings, alcohol sales three times a week and alcohol coupons. Clubs and societies to fight for sobriety began to be created at enterprises in the region. Occupational treatment centers began to open in the region, and about a hundred sobriety zones were created in which the sale of alcohol was stopped.

On June 23, 1985, the regional committee of the CPSU held a meeting on the construction of a bridge across the Volga, at which the head of the construction department of the CPSU Central Committee B.N. Yeltsin took part and spoke, then he made a trip to Dimitrovgrad and the Melekessky district.

On February 15, 1986, the region was awarded the challenge Red Banner of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions.

In February 1986, construction began on the Presidential Bridge - a combined metal two-tier beam bridge across the Volga River (Kuibyshev Reservoir). The official opening ceremony of the first stage of the bridge took place on November 24, 2009.

On April 26, 1986, an accident occurred at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, the consequences of which affected parts of the region: Veshkaimsky, Inzensky, Karsunsky districts. By order of the Government of the Russian Federation “Residence zone with preferential socio-economic status”: “Ulyanovsk region. Veshkaimsky district: Khovrinsky s/s, Bely Klyuch; Inzensky district: Oskinsky s/s, Oskino, Trusleysky s/s, Dubenki (crossing), Yulovo; Karsun district: Karsun s/s, Peski.”

In the summer of 1988, survey work for the construction of the Ulyanovsk Nuclear Power Plant took place in the Berezovsky Bay of the Staromainsky District.

On October 31, 1989, the Bazarnosyzgan district was re-formed.


XXI Century

On July 20, 1993, by a joint decision of the Small Council of the Ulyanovsk Regional Council of People's Deputies and the Head of Administration of the Ulyanovsk Region No. 171, the Golden Book of Honor of the Ulyanovsk Region was established, and on December 24, 1994, a decision was made to confer the title “Honorary Citizen of the Ulyanovsk Region.”

On September 26, 2011, the President of the Russian Federation D. A. Medvedev and other officials visited Dimitrovgrad.

On December 26, 2013, the symbols of the region were adopted - the Coat of Arms and Flag of the Ulyanovsk Region.

On September 26, 2017, the Bank of Russia issued a commemorative ten-ruble coin dedicated to the Ulyanovsk region.

On August 2, 2019, a meeting of the Volga region regions on the issue of veterinary medicine was held in the regional center of Novospassky.

On February 12, 2021, by Order of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 316-r, a new settlement was formed in the Staromainsky district - the village of Uspenskoye.