Beckov Castle (Beckovský hrad)

Beckov Castle (Beckovský hrad)



Location: 20 km (12 mi) Southwest of Trechin, Trenčín Region Map

Open: May- Oct 9am-6pm Tue-Sun

Tel. +421 (0)32/777 71 25

Constructed: 13th century


Description of Beckov Castle

Beckov Castle (Beckovský hrad)

Beckov Castle is a medieval citadel located on a 50 meter high rock overlooking Vah River 20 km (12 mi) Southwest of Trechin in Trenčín Region in Slovakia.  Beckov Castle was constructed in 13th century to protect the borders of the Kingdom of Hungary. By the end of 17th century the castle was largely abandoned due to changing military tactics. It was briefly turned into a prison and army barracks. In 1727 devastating fire that swept through its structure forced remaining residents to abandon it for a safer location. Today Beckov Castle is designated as National Cultural Monument.


The castle is mentioned as an old chronicle of Anonymous from the 12th century . This was confirmed by archaeological research, according to which the oldest settlement of the castle comes from the turn of the era.

The limestones took over the Váh ford at the border of the Trenčín and Nitra counties of considerable strategic importance and therefore they built a stone castle here in the 13th century . It consisted of a four-tower tower with a protective wall, to which the two-storey palace was attached. At the time of the boom of Matúš Čák Trenčianský , Beckov belonged to his domain. In the second half of the 14th century the castle was owned by the Stiborians, originally from Poland , who at that time represented one of the most powerful families of Hungary . During their reign, the castle, which made them the center of their vast possessions, survived its greatest boom.

At the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries they proceeded to its splendid reconstruction, during which they increased the castle towers and built an upper Gothic palace with a knight's hall and a chapel. In the middle of the 16th century the castle was fortified due to Turkish danger. Then they built a cannon tower in the lower courtyard and raised the perimeter walls of the castle. At that time the castle was already owned by the Bánffy family. After their extinction in 1646 , the castle and the estate were divided by their successors. However, they no longer cared for its maintenance and repair and the castle began to deteriorate slowly. The fire that broke out in the castle in 1727 destroyed most of the buildings and has since been abandoned.

The history of the castle is documented by the Beckov Museum .

The ruins of the upper and lower castle are the remains of palaces, economic and defense buildings and fortifications. Remarkable is the open unfinished large cannon bastion in the lower courtyard. Typically strange is the upper, regularly delimited courtyard, accessible once underpass, surrounded by the remains of palace structures and the former entrance facade of the chapel.

In the village Beckov right from the square goes right next to family houses road (the original entrance to the castle; 5 min.). The castle is open to the public. You can choose a guide or a description of the castle with a plan. In addition, some events are held in the castle.

Opening hours for the public: from the beginning of May to the end of September every day except Monday from 9.00 to 18.00.

In 2010 NKP Castle Beckov was reconstructed.

In addition to the beautiful views of the castle, do not miss the view of the castle from behind - the necessary climb to the gentle hill, which is actually a continuation of the castle hill. If you are an athlete, the area offers a lot of sports. In the vicinity of Beckov is a swimming pool Zelená voda , many routes for mountain bikes, the possibility of climbing on the castle rock (difficulty II to IX.). Also interesting is the limestone rock - Skalka near Beckov ( natural monument ).

Jewish cemetery
Along the access road to the castle is a Jewish cemetery with over 100 tombstones. The oldest tombstones come from the years 1739 - 1749. The first Jews came to Beckov at the end of the 17th century from Uherský Brod . In 1734 they acquired the land on which the cemetery is today from Count John Esterházi. The castle road divides the cemetery into two parts: the newer one, located directly at the entrance to the castle west of the access road and the older one, which is east of the road. Most tombstones date back to the mid-19th century. Inscriptions in Hebrew outweigh those in German. The cemetery has been listed in the list of Slovak cultural monuments since 1991.