Mokrice Castle

Mokrice Castle


Location: Jesenice, Brežice  Map

Constructed: 1444

Tel. +3867 457 4240, +3867 493 6700



Description of Mokrice Castle


Mokrice Castle is a medieval fortress situated near Jesenice, Brežice region of South- Eastern Slovenia on the border with Croatia.  Mokrice Castle was erected in 1444 in the Gorjanci hills overlooking Sava river valley. Wetlands around the river gave the castle its name. In Slovenian language the name comes from a term that means "wet" or "moist". Current medieval structure was erected on a site of much older Ancient Roman fort called Romulus. Its remains were uncovered during archaeological digs that were made on the grounds of the citadel. The coat of arms that you will see here has a crow with its neck pierced by an arrow. The legend claims that during Turkish invasion a black bird was scared by the advancing Turkish armies. It started to circle around the defenders in the central courtyard until it was shot by one of the Turkish archers.


The owner of Mokrice Castle reconstructed the stronghold into a private residence in the 16th century. After World War II the castle was nationalized by the Communist government and turned into a hotel and a restaurant. In 1988 grounds around Mokrice Castle were transformed into a golf course under a name of Mokrice Castle Golf Hotel. The same year video "Heart" by Pet Shop Boys were made here.


Chapel of Saint Anne

Mokrice Castle



Mokrice Castle was first mentioned in 1444, and the basic features of the Renaissance castle were given to Mokrice in the 16th century. The history of the castle is marked by finds from the Roman Empire and from the Turkish invasions.

It is 8 km away from Brezice and also has a turbulent past. At the place where the castle stands today, there was a Romulus fort in the Roman period.

The castle was built there for centuries as we see it today. He, too, passed from one owner to another. The last nobles who owned it were von Gagerni, who, due to financial distress, was forced to sell the property before World War II, when the castle was occupied by the Germans and nationalized after the war. Since 1952, the hospitality industry has started in it. Now the castle has been transformed into a four-star hotel. There is an 18-hole golf course on 70 ha of land. The castle bridge is also beautifully preserved, one of the few in Europe that still has a drawbridge.

Many stories have been preserved about the life itself and the inhabitants of the castle. To name but two: one that tells of a crow in the coat of arms and another - of the Countess Barbara.

At the time of the Turkish incursions into Slovenia, large flocks of crows remained on the banks of the Sava River, disturbed by the horse's heat; of course, they fled, and the Turks fired at them with arrows. With their screaming flight (even towards the castle) they warned of impending danger. Legend has it that one of the crows shot by the Turks fell into the castle courtyard with an arrow in his neck, so the lord gave her a place of honor in the coat of arms.

The second story tells of the unhappy love of the Countess Barbara, who sadly threw herself from one of the towers into the deep. Of course, she passed away, and her spirit was supposed to wander around the castle for a long time. Even the large Turkish cannon ball, sometimes driven in front of the castle entrance, driven by the spirit of the unhappy Barbara, was supposed to roll three times around the fountain of St. Barbara.