Location: Kent  Map


Description of Rochester

Rochester is located within the area of the unitary authority of Medway, on the banks of the homonymous river, and about 50 km from London. Rochester is known for its cathedral and its castle. Rochester Castle was built between 1087 and 1089 for Bishop Gundulf, some parts of the castle survive even though it has been greatly altered by use and reuse in the following centuries. The latter, in 1215 being occupied by barons rebelled by the peace agreements reached by King John I of England with France, was besieged for about 2 months by the king himself. The siege was lifted when the defenders died of starvation. The Church of the Christ and the Blessed Virgin is a Norman building.


The Romano-British toponym for Rochester has been a matter of debate for a long time. The name Durobrivae can be translated as a "bastion on the bridge" or "stronghold of the bridges". It was also known as Durobrovum and Durobrivis, which could be a Latinization of the British word Dourbruf which means "fast-flowing, river".


There is evidence of at least one Neolithic settlement found in 1961 by R. E. Chaplin below the Roman levels of the city. Rochester was one of the two centers of the Cantiaci tribe (the other is the capital, Cantiacorum, today Canterbury). It was the administrative west center of the Celtic kingdom of Kent. The Romans arrived and called the settlement Durobrivae, after being conquered by Aulus Plaucius. The later Roman colony offers us the current Main Street and the hill Northgate / Boley. Around the nineties of the second century: the Romans built mud protections at key points for the domain of the territory. In the early third century AD hese were replaced by others made of stone, which are still preserved. In 427 the Romans decided to abandon what for them was the province of Britania.


Travel Destinations in Rochester

Rochester Cathedral

Rochester Castle

Castle hill, Rochester

Tel. 01634 402276

Open: 10am- 4pm daily

Apr- Sept 10am- 5pm daily

last admission 45 minutes before closing

Closed: Jan 1, 24- 26 Dec


Historical dockyard

Dock Rd, Chatham

Tel.01634 823807

Open: mid- Feb- Oct daily

Nov Sat, Sun


Fort Amherst

Dock Rd, Chatham

Tel.01634 847747

Official site