Chotěboř, Czech Republic

Chotěboř (German: Chotieborsch) is a town in the district of Havlíčkův Brod in the Vysočina Region, 14 km northeast of Havlíčkův Brod. The river Doubrava flows east of Chotěboř. It is located on 5,405 hectares at an altitude of 515 m above sea level. Approximately 9,200 inhabitants live here. The historic core of the city is a city monument zone.

 

History

The town is located on the western edge of the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands in an area with silver and uranium ore. In these places there was a turnoff from the Libická trail (Čáslav – Žďár nad Sázavou) towards Smilův Brod. According to surviving finds, the original settlement with a church stood in the 12th century. The name of the village is derived from Chotěbor's court, it was probably Chotěbor from Vchynice.

The first documented written mention is from 1265, when the owner of the estate Smil of Lichtenburg donated the chapel of St. Of St. James the Greater Monastery in Žďár nad Sázavou. Successful mining led to the development of the settlement and later to its promotion to the town of Chotebors civitas in 1278 during the reign of King Přemysl Otakar II. The Czech King Jan of Luxembourg bought the town in 1329 and in 1331 it was promoted to a town by granting it the right to Jihlava. During the reign of his successor Charles IV. in 1350 Chotěboř was granted the town emblem (emblem of the lands of the Czech Crown) and in 1356 permission to build walls. As a dowry town of Czech queens, Chotěboř was owned by the royal family until 1393.

The turbulent history was experienced by local citizens during the Hussite wars. First, the town was conquered and damaged in January 1421 by the priest of Tábor, Petr Hromádka from Jistebnice. Soon, however, the city was besieged by Catholic troops, and the local Hussite garrison surrendered on February 2, 1421, for the promise of free departure. However, the besiegers did not keep their word and burned 300 prisoners in the barn. A small monument commemorates the tragic event.

 

The town flourished during the reign of the Trčeks of Lípa, who owned the town in the years 1497–1634, when they fell to Emperor Ferdinand II during the Thirty Years' War. in disgrace and their estate was confiscated. Chotěboř was then donated to Jaroslav Sezim Rašín of Rýzmburk, when he willingly betrayed Albrecht of Valdštejn's negotiations with the Swedes. Sezima was even promoted to lordship in 1638. He died in the same year and his son Rudolf Karel Rašín took over the Chotěboř estate, trying to squeeze as much out of the city as possible. Until then, Chotěboř gave its Meissen kopecks a year to its lords, but that was not enough for him. The dissatisfaction of the townspeople, but also of the subjects in general, did not arise for the previously determined payments and obligations, but for their disproportionate or trickery increase. The Chotěboř family therefore entered into a "dispute" with Rašín. However, Rudolf Karel Rašín increased his demands in another direction - he forced the townspeople to buy beer only from his brewery. Rašín also occupied land for the townspeople and exchanged them for worse and less profitable ones. Complaints from Chotěboř came to the governor's office and reconciliation was to be negotiated in 1657 by two royal commissars, of course nobles. The compromise was not very advantageous for Chotěboř, the city finally had to commit to take 150 barrels of beer from the manorial brewery, ie about 340 hectoliters. 20 tailors had to pay for each bucket of wine (56.6 liters). Rudolf Karel Rašín lived in luxury at the chateau, he even survived eight girls, two chefs, a total of 15 servants. In 1654, the Visitation Commission found out that Chotěboř had 700 inhabitants who contributed to the well-being of the chateau aristocrat. Lock - see below.

Exiles: As well as from the surrounding villages (Skryje, Podmoky, etc.), secret non-Catholics from Chotěboř went into exile during the post-White Mountain period. Matěj Sequens, a cloth companion, demonstrably fled to Prussian Silesia. On February 11, 1776, he married in Münsterberg, where he later became a burgher, draper and elder of the Czech choir. Ferdinand Hrejsa also mentions non-Catholics Martin and Ondřej Sequens from Chotěboř (year 1757, brothers).

The development of the city in the 19th century was also influenced by fires in 1800 and especially in 1832, when most of the houses on the square, the inner city and the suburbs were destroyed. The new stone houses no longer had arcades and the remaining gates, the last remnants of the medieval fortifications, were also demolished. After the turbulent events in the middle of the 19th century and subsequent reorganizations, the District Court in Chotěboř was established in 1849, falling under the Regional Court in Kutná Hora. In 1850, the District Governor's Office for the Chotěboř and Habry judicial districts was established.

 

The cultural and social life of that time was also rich. Unsatisfactory two-class and later four-class school was relocated to a new building (the foundation stone was laid in 1865, teaching since 1869), later followed by a boys '(1876) and girls' (1890) burgher school, grammar school (founded in 1913, in its own building since 1920), Secondary Agricultural Technical School (1960) - today a business academy and a higher vocational school. Gradually, various associations were formed - the still existing Mixed Choir Doubravan (1862), the Palacký Theater Association (1869–1914), the voluntary fire brigade (1878), the Sokol Unit (1882), the town museum of local lore (1885), etc.

From the economic point of view, Chotěboř was for a long time an agricultural town. The gradual development of industry (especially textile and woodworking) was helped, among other things, by the establishment of a post office (1850), which ensured the transport of passengers and consignments by horse-drawn carriage (to Golčov Jeníkov and Hlinsko), construction of a road to Německý Brod (1868), completion of the Německý Brod railway line. Rosice nad Labem (1871), commissioning of the municipal power plant (1911) and introduction of bus lines (1923).

The largest textile factory was Antonín Klazar's factory, where carpets were made. In 1936, this factory was bought by Vilém Eckhard, who moved the production of filters for gas masks from Prague to Chotěboř. Fifty workers moved with him to Chotěboř. The company prospered, exporting to France and Yugoslavia. In 1939, the company already had 732 employees. During the Second World War, 2,515 workers worked here, mainly producing gas masks.

After the war, the factory was nationalized and renamed the Chotěbořská kovodělné závody, but Mr. Eckhard remained in the management of the company until 1949, when he was arrested. Then he emigrated.

Since the 1950s, the factory has been producing machines for the food industry (eg for dairies and breweries). Since 1968, the factory has been called Chotěbořské strojírny.

Of the modern industrial enterprises, it is worth mentioning the Plant of Electrothermal Equipment (ZEZ) Prague, whose subsidiary in Chotěboř was engaged in research and development of medium-frequency induction heaters for forges and industrial handling robots (today Roboterm). In the years 1955–1959, uranium ore was mined in the vicinity of the nearby Horní mlýn. Later geological surveys in the 1990s confirmed unprofitability and mining did not resume. In 2009, the newly built Chotěboř Brewery started operating.

The last sad chapter in the history of the city was the end of World War II. On May 5, 1945, the insurgents occupied the city, disarmed the local German division and then took over the ammunition depot in nearby Bílek. From there, two cars were sent with a team against German troops in the area of ​​Ždírec and Krucemburk. Near Sobíňov, however, they came across a large German transport. There was a shootout with tragic consequences - 29 fallen Czechs and 7 wounded. German troops then occupied the city and brutally took revenge until May 9, when they began to move towards Caslav.

Since 1961, Bílek has belonged here as a local part.

 

Geography

Location and Coordinates
The town lies about 14 km (9 mi) northeast of Havlíčkův Brod and 34 km (21 mi) north of Jihlava. Its precise geographic coordinates are 49°43′15″N 15°40′13″E. This places it in the transitional uplands between the Bohemian Basin to the west and the more rugged Moravian terrain to the east, near the historical divide of ancient trade routes.
The municipal territory covers 54.06 km² (5,406 ha) and includes the main town plus several smaller settlements and cadastral areas (e.g., Bezděkov, Bílek, and parts of surrounding villages).

Elevation and Topography
The town center sits at an elevation of 515 m (1,690 ft) above sea level, with the broader municipal area ranging from roughly 480–615 m. The highest point within the municipality is Fiedlerův kopec (Fiedler’s Hill) at 615 m.
The landscape consists of gently rolling hills, broad valleys, and low ridges typical of the Bohemian-Moravian Uplands — a dissected highland plateau formed primarily by ancient crystalline rocks (gneiss, granite) with some sedimentary overlays. Slopes are moderate, supporting a mix of arable land, meadows, and forests. Underlying geology includes deposits of silver and uranium ore, remnants of historical mining activity in the region.
To the south, the town borders the Železné hory Protected Landscape Area (Iron Mountains PLA), which adds steeper forested ridges and protected upland scenery.

Hydrology
The Doubrava River (a left-bank tributary of the Elbe/Labe) forms the eastern boundary of the municipal territory. It flows northward from its headwaters in the nearby highlands toward the Elbe, carving a scenic valley with steep banks in places. Small tributaries and brooks drain the surrounding hills into the Doubrava.
Several fishponds (artificial reservoirs) dot the outskirts, a characteristic feature of Czech rural hydrology used for fish farming, flood control, and recreation. The river valley supports riparian wetlands and floodplains.

Climate
Chotěboř has a temperate continental climate (Köppen Dfb), moderated slightly by its upland position. Summers are mild-to-warm and winters cold, with greater temperature swings and precipitation than lowland Bohemia due to elevation and exposure to Atlantic and continental air masses.

Temperature: January averages range from highs of ~2°C to lows of ~-4°C (coldest month). July is the warmest, with highs around 24°C and lows ~13°C.
Precipitation: Annual total ~844 mm. July is wettest (~105 mm); February is driest (~52 mm). Rain falls year-round, with summer convective showers common; winter brings snow.
Other factors: Higher humidity, more frequent cloud cover, and occasional fog in valleys are typical of the highlands. Winds are moderate, influenced by the surrounding uplands.

The climate supports mixed deciduous-coniferous forests and agriculture (cereals, potatoes, pastures).

Natural Features and Protected Areas
The Doubrava River valley and surrounding hills host several nature reserves and monuments, protecting diverse habitats:

Přírodní rezervace Údolí Doubravy and Niva Doubravy — riparian forests and floodplains.
Přírodní památka Písník u Sokolovce — a scenic pond above the valley.
Přírodní rezervace Mokřadlo, Zlatá louka, and part of Svatomariánské údolí — wetlands and meadows.
Scenic viewpoints (Sokolohrady, Čertův stolek) overlook the river valley.

Vegetation includes beech-oak forests on higher slopes, alder and willow along the river, and agricultural fields in flatter areas. The protected status preserves biodiversity in this transitional highland zone.