The name "Nahuel Huapi"
means literally "jaguar's island" from Mapuche language those
lands included the territory of the modern nature preserve. The
best time to visit this Argentinean national park is from
January to March and from July to September. The lake is
surrounded by evergreen pine and beech forests. Some of the
trees reach 500 years of age. Nahuel Huapi
National Park us inhabited by
dwarf deer, armadillo, mouse opossum, Andean deer, guanaco and
many other. Besides its is has Chilean hummingbird, Magellan
woodpecker, black- necked swan and many others.
One of the most famous attractions in Nahuel Huapi
National Park is
extinct volcano Tronador that is hopefully is now extinct. It
reaches a height of 3,491 meters above sea level. The lake
Nahuel Huapi that is located in the center of the national park.
The lake was discovered by the Jesuit priest Nicolas Mascard in
1670. The same year he constructed a chapel on the Haemul
Peninsula. The lakes draws thousands of people annually for fishing,
yachting and hiking.
Water monster of lake Nahuel Huapi
Additionally it is visited by cryptozoologists in hopes of finding an elusive water serpent
that the legend claim lives under the surface of the Nahuel
Huapi lake. These legends date back to the time of the Indian
tribes that once lived around the lake. Most of these stories
portray the monster as a vicious creature that can attack humans
at the time of starvation and fish shortage. The Quetrihue
Peninsula in the north part of the lake is reserved for another
Los Arrayanes National Park.
Additionally the Huemul Island was home to Huemul project. This
Argentinean secret project on nuclear fusion in the years 1949-
52 involved German scientist Ronald Richter. He managed to
escape Europe after the fall of Nazi regime and along of many
other scientists, doctors and war criminals asked for help from
a Argentinean president Juan Domingo Perón. The president gladly
accepted the offer. However after some dubious claims of
controllable nuclear fusion a commission was formed in September
1952 that terminated the project immediately.