Anif (German Anif) is a commune (German Gemeinde) in Austria, in the federal state of Salzburg. It is part of the Salzburg County. The population is 4081 people (as of December 31, 2005). City covers an area of 7.61 km². The official code is 50 301.



Anif castle

Anif Castle stands on an artificial pond in the eponymous town of Anif on the southern outskirts of Salzburg. The exact date of the castle's origin has not yet been established. It is known that in 1520 a castle already existed on this site, which belonged to a certain Praunenecker. But since 1530, Anif Castle has been constantly mentioned as a feudal allotment issued to the Archbishop of Salzburg. Later, the castle was transferred to the bishops from Chiemsee, who later used it as a summer residence until 1806. The last of the bishops laid out an English park around the castle.

In 1803, during the German mediatization, the Archbishopric of Salzburg was turned into a kurfurche for Ferdinand III. Two years later, in 1805, according to the terms of the Peace of Presburg, the territories of the electors, which had previously been an archbishopric, became part of the Austrian Empire. Thus, Anif Castle, together with the park, became public property.

Although the castle was leased from that point on, the tenants did not undertake any restoration work. This changed when the property was sold to the great-grandson of Empress Maria Theresa, Count Alois Stepperg in 1837. He rebuilt Anif Palace between 1838 and 1848 in the New Gothic style, giving the castle a modern look. Until that time, it consisted of a simple four-story building and a two-story passage to the chapel.

After the death of the count in 1891, the castle passed into the ownership of his heiress Sophie, who married Count Ernst von Moy de Sons, from an old French aristocratic family.

In 1918, Anif attracted public attention when King Ludwig of Bavaria III fled here with his family and entourage to escape the revolution. In the "Declaration of Anif", written on November 12/13, 1918, Ludwig III refused to abdicate, but he released all Bavarian officials, soldiers and officers from their oath.

During World War II, the Germans were stationed at the castle, followed by an American unit in 1945.

Currently, Anif Castle is in the possession of the de Sons family. The castle is closed to the public.


Helbrunn-Anif Zoo

Not far from the Austrian city of Salzburg, in the town of Anif, there is a zoo, which opened in 1960. Although animal breeding was carried out here before the official establishment of the zoo. Back in 1619, Archbishop Markus Sitticus built gardens, parks and a zoological garden here. Historical documents show that by 1620, 100 red deer, 1 mountain goat, more than 1000 turtles lived on the territory, and there were also cages with bears, wolves, lynxes, eagles and storks.

Today the zoo covers an area of ​​95 hectares, where about 800 different animals of 140 species live. The zoo has an interesting rocky landscape.

The concept of the zoo lies in the geographical division of the territory into large zones: South America, Africa and Eurasia. Animals from the African savannah are of the greatest interest. Zebras, antelopes and rhinos, guinea fowls, as well as various types of African birds. Also in the zoo live kangaroos, various types of monkeys, bears, chamois.

The zoo hosts a variety of activities every day. Visitors come to the zoo with the whole family to enjoy a leisurely walk and interact with animals. By the way, dogs are allowed to come to the zoo, which, nevertheless, must be kept on a short leash so as not to frighten the permanent inhabitants. During the summer months, the zoo is open once a week until late in the evening to show visitors the animal lifestyle at night.

A walk in the Helbrunn Zoo will bring great joy not only to children, but also to adults: in one day you can learn a lot of interesting information about the daily life of animals, their habits and predilections.

There are not many staff at the zoo, however, the territory is kept clean and tidy. The zoo staff urge not to feed the animals, because it can cause huge harm to their health.



"The Church at Anif" was already mentioned in writing in the Notitia Arnonis of 788.

By (Salzburg state) law of July 17, 1894, LGBl 25/1894, Anif and Niederalm were separated from Grödig:
“Count Arco-Stepperg discussed with the Anifer farmers and told them that for Grödig with his various factories and iron hammers and with the several hundred workers employed in the Fürstenbrunn quarry, it would be a major nuisance in terms of conservation if these companies came to a standstill. Grödig would have the benefits and Anif would have the payments. We also want to get away with the church, and so it happened ... "

The first mayor of Anif was Matthias Schnöll, Holznerbauer, who held this position from 1895 to 1898, he was replaced by Rupert Mayr, Kaiserbauer.

Since then, Anif has grown into a wealthy community. The place is considered to be one of the best locations in the vicinity of the city of Salzburg.