Bruck an der Mur is a town in Styria, at the confluence of the Mur and Mürz rivers, about 60 km north of Graz and has about 15,000 inhabitants.
Iron fountain. With its arbor built entirely in the Renaissance
tradition, the fountain is one of the most important wrought iron
works in Styria. Since the beginning of the 17th century it has
stood as a landmark in a prominent position on the city's main
square. He has always been closely connected to the life of the city
and its residents.
Kornmesserhaus. The Kornmesserhaus, with its splendid facade based on Venetian models, is one of the most beautiful late Gothic secular buildings in Austria. It was built between 1495 and 1505 for the hammer mills Pankraz Kornmeß, whose family has shaped the town of Bruck an der Mur as builders and patrons since the 14th century.
Marian column. In order to reconcile God and to avert plague, fire and flooding from the city, the citizens had the Marian Column built in 1710. The statue of Maria Immaculata hovers in the middle high above the six patron saints Florian, Sebastian, Josef, Johannes Nepomuk, Rochus and Antonius of Padua and watches over the city.
Town hall. Since October 1629 this building has been the town hall. With its new extension, it connects the city's art historical past with the present. The town hall courtyard with its three-storey column arcades from the 16th century and the glazing from 1998 is particularly worth seeing.
Antauerhaus. The three-storey residential building with its richly decorated secessionist facade is a striking eye-catcher on the southeast corner of the main square. It was founded in 1905/06 by the Bruck doctor Dr. Rudolf Grillitsch, who had a very modern and progressive private sanatorium set up on the first floor.
Fabriziushaus. The Fabriziushaus, named after the hammer gentleman Georg Albinus Fabrizius, who lived here at the beginning of the 17th century, is one of the oldest buildings on the main square and one of the patrician houses that have retained their beauty. In addition to the facade facing the main square, the late Gothic arcade courtyard is also particularly worth seeing.
City parish church. Built in the last quarter of the 13th century on the site of a Romanesque predecessor, of which remains can still be seen under the tower, the church houses late Gothic jewels such as the cast stone Pietà, the twelve-sided baptismal font or the remarkable sacristy door decorated with filigree ornamental wrought iron fittings.
Flössmeisterhaus. The house from the 16th century, owned by raft masters for decades, reminds of the former importance of the Mur as a waterway. The double arched window in the Renaissance style with fluted columns and richly ornamented rectangular frame and architrave as well as the two-storey arcade courtyard are worth seeing.
Minorite Church. The baroque Gothic building from the 13th century is visible from afar at the end of the pedestrian zone. Plain on the outside, in keeping with the mendicant order, inside the church contains remarkable frescoes of high artistic quality from around 1400 as well as an altarpiece with St. Antonius von Padua by Hans Adam Weißenkircher around 1690. Open: Outside the summer months, can only be visited during guided tours.
Stone cross. The approximately 8 meter high, four-sided wayside shrine with fluted corner pillars and 4 pointed arch niches with tracery ornamentation, in which four figures were originally set up, dates from the 15th century. It was once visible from afar as a boundary stone between the Landskron-Bruck and Wieden-Kapfenberg district courts.
Schlossberg. The once mighty Landskron Castle, which had existed since the 13th century at the latest and was rebuilt in the course of the 16th century, was completely destroyed in the devastating city fire of 1792. Today the remains of the wall surround a romantic plateau, which offers a wonderful view over the city and its surroundings.
City fortifications. The medieval city was surrounded by a mighty wall, which was secured by 12 towers. Some of these towers are still quite well preserved, such as today's clock tower, the Schifferturm and the towers in Stephanienpark and in Fridrichsallee. The four heavily fortified gates through which one entered the city are no longer preserved.
Culture house. The new meeting point for all those interested in culture. Planned as a workers' hostel in the 1920s (1924), it is now a modern home for cinema, theater, concerts, cabarets, exhibitions, balls, conferences and trade fairs.
Former St. Martin's Citizens Hospital Church. The civil hospital,
a building complex consisting of several wings, has been documented
since the beginning of the 14th century, the church was added in the
14th and 15th centuries. The famous Martin table from 1518 comes
from here, after which its unknown master is named and which can be
seen on loan at the Landesmuseum Joanneum.
Filial church St. Ruprecht. This oldest church in Bruck goes back to the foundation of the Archdiocese of Salzburg in the 9th century. Simple on the outside and rather inconspicuous, inside the church there are art historical treasures, including an almost completely preserved depiction of the Last Judgment from 1416, which is ascribed to the school of the Bruck Minorite Master. Also noteworthy is the Romanesque Karner north of the church.
Filial church of St. Nicholas. The Gothic church with a Romanesque core, located on a hill above the Mur valley, is a foundation of the brotherhood of the Mur raftsmen to their patron saint. Their heraldic symbols can be found as stained glass in the north window and on a keystone of the ribbed vault in the choir. The figure of St. Nicholas around 1430/40.
Church of St. Georg am Pöglhof. The church is mentioned for the first time in 1066 as the Eppensteiner's own church. In 1531 it came into the possession of the respected Pögl family from Bruck, after whom it is still called the Pöglhofkapelle today, together with the property belonging to it. The church is characterized by beautiful tendril paintings around 1520/30 and the depiction of the 14 helpers in need around 1511. Note: Can only be viewed during guided tours.
E-Werk with the show power plant on the Murinsel. The E-Werk on Murinsel has been generating electricity for the city of Bruck an der Mur since December 1903. The visitor information center allows sensational views of the 5 generators and shows a lot of interesting facts about power generation. A bicycle self-service station and an electric filling station complete the offer for visitors. Open: Daily from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Price: Free entry.
Bath house. From the former bathhouse from the 16th century, two well-preserved boiler foundations with remains of a central heating system, a water pipe, a house well and remains of a stove were found during renovation work in 2000. T. to be seen in the dining room. In the showroom are u. a. the remains of the foundations of a previous medieval building are visible.
The city is an important railway junction on the Vienna - Graz or Klagenfurt and Graz - Linz or Salzburg lines. The Bruck an der Mur train station is currently being expanded to become the most important rail hub in Upper Styria (completion 2014).
Bruck an der Mur is also a traffic junction for regional and national bus routes. There are connections to Graz, Mariazell, Mürzzuschlag and Leoben.
From Vienna via the A2 to the Seebenstein junction and the S6 through the Semmering tunnel. From Graz via the A9 to the Deutschfeistritz junction and the S35. From western Austria via the A1 and A9 to the St. Michael junction. Then via the S35 to Bruck an der Mur.
Bruck an der Mur is the cycle path junction for the state cycle paths R2 (Mur cycle path) and R5 (Mürz valley cycle path).
Around the city
The city bus network supplies all parts of the city as well as
the Weitental Nature Conservation Center and the market town of
Oberaich. It also includes the immediately neighboring town of
The local cycle path network is well developed.
Electric charging stations:
1 Koloman-Wallisch-Platz, accessible 24 hours
2 E-Werk-Murinsel, on weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m .: the premises of Stadtwerke Bruck