Tel. (02682) 65145
Open: May- Oct: 10am- 5pm Tue- Sun
Nov- May 9am- 4pm Mon- Thu, 9am- 1pm Fri
The Jewish Museum is located in the Wertheimer
House, a historic building named after the Hungarian rabbi Samson
Wertheimer (1658-1724). The decision to found a Jewish museum in
Eisenstadt was made in 1969 at the forum of the Institute for Jewish
Studies at the University of Vienna. The museum was opened three
years later, in 1972.
The Jewish Museum is located on an area of almost 1000 square meters and is divided into several exhibition halls.
While visiting the museum, you can see the private synagogue located on the ground floor of the building. This small synagogue is one of the few that was not damaged during Kristallnacht (or Night of Broken Glass) in November 1938. This was the first such large-scale attack by the Nazis on Jews. That night there was a massive wave of Jewish pogroms in the territory of the Third Reich, 267 synagogues were destroyed, 91 Jews were killed, hundreds were injured and maimed, thousands were humiliated and insulted, more than 30 thousand were sent to concentration camps.
Also, the museum offers to get acquainted with its permanent exhibition, which gives a comprehensive overview of Jewish life and the history of Jews in Burgenland. At the end of the exhibit is an impressive memorial hall dedicated to the seven prominent Jewish communities of Burgenland.
Also, the museum has a library that contains over 10,000 volumes. Some of the books are in the permanent exhibition of the museum, mainly books from the 18th century. In addition, the library has a large collection of facsimile editions of famous books. The valuable collection of Yiddish books deserves special attention.
The museum is located in the Unterstadt (Lower City) district, where about 3,000 Jews expelled from Vienna have settled since 1670. There are two old Jewish cemeteries not far from the museum.