Location: Burgenland Map
Eisenstadt is a capital city of Burgenland state in the Eastern Austria. You can travel to Vienna and then get to Eisenstadt that is located 50 km (31 miles) South. Its name in German means "Iron City" as a reference to iron mining and iron trade that was common here since the Medieval times. City of Eisenstadt situated on the banks of Wulka river was known since the 12th century, however archaeological evidence show that first human settlements were formed by Celtic tribes and later Roman legionnaires. Eisenstadt lies on a plain that descends to the Wulka River, south of the mountain range known as the Leithagebirge, about 12 km from the Hungarian border. During rule of the Habsburg Empire's Kingdom of Hungary, Kismarton (Eisenstadt) was the seat of the Hungarian noble family Eszterházy. Famous Hungarian composer Joseph Haydn lived there as Hofkapellmeister under Esterházy patronage.
Eisenstadt has a population of 14,241 inhabitants (2016). Eisenstadt lies on a plain that descends to the Wulka River, south of the mountain range known as the Leithagebirge, about 12 km from the Hungarian border.
The city of Eisenstadt was first mentioned in a
document in 1264. At that time, however, it was still called "Little
Martin" (hence the Hungarian name of the town, Kismárton), which
consisted of the "St. Martin" chapel and a few houses. The Kanizsai
family first laid the foundation stone for the city by building a
castle, which is known today as Esterházy Palace. In addition, the
city was enclosed by a wall. From then on it was considered
impregnable and iron, from which the name "Eisenstadt" was derived.
It is believed that Eisenstadt was a market town as early as the
13th century. In 1373 the manorial town charter was granted. Another
important year was 1622: Eisenstadt was given to Nikolaus Esterházy
as a pledge until it passed into his rightful possession a few years
later. The rule of the Esterházy family was to last for over 300
After the First World War and the handover of Burgenland to Austria in 1921, Eisenstadt was named the state capital on April 30, 1925, by determining the seat of the state government here.
Eisenstadt has four districts:
The wine-growing town of Kleinhöflein was incorporated into the municipality in 1970. It's west of the city.
Eisenstadt-Oberberg is directly adjacent to Kleinhöflein. There you will find the mountain church with the Calvary and the Haydn mausoleum.
The Jewish quarter with the small streets characterizes Eisenstadt-Unterberg. Today the Austrian Jewish Museum is located there.
The district of St. Georgen am Leithagebirge is east of the city and is known for its numerous taverns.
In 1647, the city of Eisenstadt came under the rule of the princely house of Esterhazy, which had a great influence on the city and led to positive changes. In 1648, by order of Emperor Ferdinand III, Eisenstadt became a free city, paying a ransom fee of 16,000 guilders and 3,000 barrels of wine. In 1670 Paul I allowed 3000 Jews to settle in Eisenstadt and six nearby settlements, who were expelled from Vienna. The city's rabbi was Samson Wertimer, who himself was buried in the old Jewish cemetery.
There was a need for a cemetery. This is how the old Jewish cemetery appeared in the 17th century near the Jewish quarter. The old cemetery functioned from 1679 to 1875 and contained about 1,140 gravestones with only Hebrew inscriptions. Due to the limited space, a new one was created next to the old cemetery. The new cemetery has been in operation since 1875.
During the Nazi occupation, both cemeteries were partially destroyed, and tombstones were used to erect a fence throughout the city. After 1945, the cemeteries were repaired and the monuments were put in place. In 1992, an act of vandalism took place at the new cemetery: about 80 gravestones were desecrated with Nazi symbols.
The Eisenstadt cemetery differs from other ancient Jewish cemeteries in the absence of vegetation. However, it bears great similarity in form and appearance to the Vienna Cemetery. This is because the first settlers were Viennese emigrants. Earlier, the entrance to the old cemetery was made through a beautiful semicircular metal gate, however, now they have not survived. Both cemeteries are open to the public.
The Martin Kaserne or the former KuK Kadettenanstalt is a few steps away from the state government. In the middle of the 19th century, there was an extreme need for additional leaders in the Austrian army. In the course of this began planning some new educational institutions. One of them was built here in Eisenstadt in 1858. The building was built in the style of romantic historicism and its design is based on the Viennese arsenal. The building was completely restored at the end of the 20th century.
The bishop's court is on the back of the Eisenstadt cathedral.
The building was rebuilt in 1951 and contains, in addition to the
administration of the diocese and the parish, guest rooms and a
small chapel. The building was completely refurbished and restored
in 2011 for EUR 2.4 million.
The Burgenland Provincial Government building is a massive 1930s building located on Europaplatz. Originally, after the annexation of Burgenland to Austria, the provincial government was initially to be found provisionally in the Martin barracks. In 1930, however, the country house could be moved into in its current form. In the conference room there was a mural depicting the greeting of the returned Burgenland. This work of art by the painter Ferdinand Kitt was destroyed in 1945. In 1973 an extension was added for the Burgenland State Archives.
The ORF regional studio Burgenland (modern architecture from the 1970s) is located at the foot of the Leithagebirge. The visit can be combined with a walk in the forest. Like all other ORF regional studios, the building was designed by the architect Gustav Peichl, with a focus on technical aesthetics. The spiral structure is based on the Maison de la Radio in Paris.
Town Hall - The original building was erected around 1560 in the style of the early Renaissance. Despite a considerable renovation in 1648, some elements of the original structure can still be seen. In addition to the floor plan and the diamond cuboid of the portal, the wall paintings are particularly worth mentioning here. In the form of women, among other things Virtues such as loyalty, hope, charity, justice, wisdom, strength, and temperance are depicted. These were only rediscovered in 1926 and extensively restored in 1949. Inside the wedding hall is also noteworthy. This has a splendid Renaissance ceiling from the 17th century.
Plague column - When the plague raged in Eisenstadt in 1713, the
people of Eisenstadt built this column to free the city from the
plague. The column is consecrated to the Holy Trinity, which is
depicted on top of the column, and to the Holy Virgin Mary. The
figures on the base of the column show various saints, e.g. St.
Rochus, Sebastian, Kajetan, Johannes von Nepomuk and St. Rosalia.
The city coat of arms can also be seen on the base.
Parish Church of St. Georgen - This church dates from the High Middle Ages. The church was first mentioned in writing in 1437. However, it is generally assumed that the building date was older. The murals "The Last Judgment" and the "Coronation of Mary" from 1623 are particularly worth seeing.
Kleinhöflein parish church - The church from 1462 has Gothic and Romanesque stylistic elements. The church is especially known for the fact that the so-called older Haydn organ stood here from 1797 to 1942. It has been in the auditorium of the Burgenland State Museum since 1976.
The nearest international airport is Vienna-Schwechat Airport (IATA Code: VIE), it is located approx. 45 km northeast of Eisenstadt. Reachable by car via A3-S1-A4, with public transport preferably with a regional bus to Vienna (Südtiroler Platz / Hauptbahnhof), then with an ICE or Railjet directly to the airport.
From Vienna first via the A 2 (southern motorway), from the Guntramsdorf junction via the A 3 (south-eastern motorway). Exit Müllendorf, continue on the B51.
From Graz first on the A 2 to the Wiener Neustadt junction, there on the S 4 towards Hungary / Eisenstadt, then exit S4 towards Hungary. Shortly before Mattersburg change to the S 31 towards Wien / Eisenstadt. The best way to get to the center is to take the Eisenstadt Mitte exit.
From Budapest on the M1 to the border, then on the A4 to the Neusiedl exit, then on the B50.
From Bratislava: A6 to the Bruckneudorf junction, then take the A4 towards Budapest and exit at Neusiedl, continue on the B50.
The journey from Balaton and Sopron leads via the Hungarian trunk road 84 to the former border crossing in Klingenbach. You can either drive the A3-S31, or from Siegendorf through Drassburg on state roads.
Eisenstadt can only be reached by rail using regional trains. From Vienna (Meidling) you take a regional train of the ROeEE to Sopron or Deutschkreutz and change in Wulkaprodersdorf.
Getting there is faster and easier with one of the numerous regional buses (every 30 minutes during the day) from Vienna (Südtiroler Platz).
Around the city
In the center of the city there is a large bus station (Domplatz). The surrounding places are visited several times an hour, Vienna, Central Burgenland and Southern Burgenland several times a day or hourly.
There is also a train station from which Neusiedl am See and Sopron can be reached every hour within half an hour. Wulkaprodersdorf and Mattersburg are stations where the trains stop several times an hour.
A taxi ride within the city costs € 5.00. It is possible to get a guest card at the town hall, with which the cost of a taxi ride in the city area is limited to € 2.00. The districts of St. Georgen am Leithagebirge and Kleinhöflein are not included. The costs for the nearest locations are between € 10.00 and € 15.00.
Bicycles can be borrowed from nextbike at Esterházy Palace, the train station, the Eisenstadt technology center and on Krautgartenweg. The current status can be called up at any time on the Internet.
If you are driving your car in the city center, the marked short-term parking zones must be observed. The parking fee is payable on weekdays from Mon-Fri 8 am-4pm and Sat 8 am-12pm (€ 0.60 / 30 minutes). However, in some shops in the pedestrian zone it is possible to get the parking fee refunded.