Gröbming is a market town with 3085 inhabitants (as of January 1,
2020) and the administrative seat of the Gröbming branch in the
Liezen district (Schladming judicial district), in the Austrian
state of Styria.
Gröbming is part of the Hallstatt – Dachstein / Salzkammergut cultural landscape UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Gröbming is located on a hill in the Enns Valley, on the southeastern Dachstein massif, the Kemet Mountains, to the left of the Enns.
The municipality extends along the Gröbmingbach up to the Dachstein plateau and to the Upper Austrian border.
At 811 m, the Kulmleiten is a hill that connects directly to the center of the settlement.
A tombstone that is kept in the Catholic parish church has been
preserved as evidence of Roman settlement.
From 700 to 1000 Slavs and Bavarians settled the region. Several farms were first mentioned in documents in the 11th century. During the Reformation, Grobming was evangelical.
The earliest written document is from 1139 and is "Grebin". The name goes back to the Slovenian greben (comb, ridge).
When Gröbming became an independent market town in the course of the abolition of the manors in 1848/49, it had had an unsecuritized market right for a long time.
Thousands of refugees stayed in Gröbming during the Second World War.
In 1947 the pastor Leopold Achberger from Gröbming was elected as the first superintendent of the newly founded Evangelical Superintendent of A. B. Styria. Until it was moved to Graz in 1951, his official seat was in Gröbming.
In 1979 a bypass was created.
Coat of arms
Description of coat of arms:
"Under the blue head of the shield in tooth cut in the silver field, two red lily wands, whose shafts are bar-shaped and accompanied by twelve red apostle crosses in two rows."
A Gröbming coat of arms can already be found at Schmutz 1822,
where it shows a landscape image of a rock group with isolated
spruce trees, in front of it a meadow with a brook flowing across
the shield and two houses in the foreground. In Widimsky 1864 it
shows white (silver) tombstones and grave crosses (instead of rocks
and spruce trees), a white path (instead of the stream), chapel and
tower-high building, white with red roofs, all on a green meadow
under a blue sky.
Today's coat of arms shows two lilies as a symbol of legal authority, twelve crosses for the apostle altar of the Catholic Church, the sky and the field dividing tooth section documents the Slavic root of the place name and the mountains.
The market town received today's coat of arms on July 11, 1994.