Igls is a village, a district, a cadastral community and a part
of the city of Innsbruck. On April 1, 1942, the community of Igls
was incorporated into both the township and Innsbruck; Igls only
became a separate village again from the 1961 local directory.
The place is located at 870 m on a low mountain range south of the center of Innsbruck, at the foot of the Patscherkofel. In Igls, the Ramsbach flows to the Viller Bach, and from there, roughly along the Sill-Vill-Steige, into the Sill Gorge to the Sill.
Igls has around 500 buildings with around 2000 residents. The local area also includes Heiligwasser (pilgrimage church with alpine inn) and the Hohenburg and Taxburg castles.
The area of the district stretches southeast up to the Patscherkofel, but ends a little below the mountain station of the Patscherkofelbahn. West of Heiligwasser, on the road to Patsch, lies the Goldbichl, a 1064 m high foothill of the Patscherkofel massif.
Row graves were uncovered in Igls, which probably date
from the migration period. The 1064 m high Goldbichl in the south of
Igls is an important archaeological site.
The name comes either from the 11th century by Vogt Eigilis from the Tegernsee monastery, which had possessions in Igls, or from the 8th century from the parish patron, Saint Giles, abbot of Saint-Gilles in Provence, called Gilles. Another possible origin of the name is also discussed ecclesia (Latin for church), as the Roman settlement Veldidena (today Wilten) is located in nearby Innsbruck and the so-called Roman road is still to this day in the south.
The former Romanesque parish church has been known from a letter of indulgence since 1286; in the 15th century it was rebuilt in the late Gothic style and consecrated in 1479. In 1705 it was rebuilt and given a baroque style.
The pilgrimage church Heiligwasser (Maria Schnee / Hl. Ottilie), built in 1662, is located above Igls at an altitude of 1240 m. The pilgrimage goes back to an apparition of Mary, and the spring near the small baroque church is said to have healing properties.
In the 19th century the rural village developed into a summer retreat for Innsbruckers who had their villas there. The first hotels were built.
Igls became internationally known through the Olympic Winter Games in 1964 and 1976 with the artificial ice bobsleigh and toboggan run and the Olympic downhill run from Patscherkofel. The facilities are still used today for international sports competitions (such as the 2012 Youth Olympics).
In spring 2019, the Schlosshotel Igls was demolished, except for the surrounding property.
The terminus "Igls Bahnhof" of tram line 6 ("Igler" Mittelgebirgsbahn) of the Innsbrucker Verkehrsbetriebe is in Igls. The village is also connected to the public transport network in the Tyrolean public transport system by bus lines J and N7 as well as by regional bus lines 4132 and 4141 operated by ÖBB-Postbus GmbH. The valley station of the Patscherkofelbahn is also located in Igls. At Heiligwasser there is a middle station, the mountain station - which, like the summit, is in the Patscher municipality - offers a beautiful view of Innsbruck and the Inn Valley.
In the southern forest of Igls there is a freely accessible glacier pot. Hiking signs indicate this under the term glacier mill.