With 2571 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2020) and an area of
97.49 km², Kappl is the second and largest community in the
Tyrolean Paznaun. The community is located in the judicial district
In the 13th century, the area of the Landeck court, to which the tithing Paznaun (today's municipality of Kappl) also belonged, to the Counts of Ulten and in 1248, after their extinction, to the Counts of Tyrol, who now exercised county authority.
Several acts of war also took place on the soil of today's Kappl municipality: In 1406 the Appenzell people marched into Paznaun from the Zeinisjoch and controlled it until 1408. During the coalition wars, the riflemen had to be ready and guard the crossings.
Before the first permanent residents settled, the alpine pastures in the area of today's Kappl municipality were used as summer pastures. Presumably these were Rhaeto-Romans from the Engadin who drove their cattle through the Oberpaznaun to the alpine pastures. This can be attested by the Romanesque roots of the name given to the alpine pastures. The settlement of the Unterpaznaunes (sunny side and Frödenegger Berg) took place from the Stanzertal across the Joch crossings, but not through the Gföllschlucht, which was then inaccessible. Wherever the hamlet stands today, there used to be a courtyard.
Niederhof is mentioned as the first settlement in the 2nd half of the 13th century. In 1370 Kappl is mentioned for the first time as "capella sancti Antonii". The name is a German translation of the Latin capella ('chapel'). Langesthei ('spring pasture') also appears for the first time. The Trisanna area belonged to the Engadin people (municipality of Sent) and was given to the local people as a permanent loan for annual interest (first in kind, later money) in 1572 and sold by the municipality of Sent to the residents of Niederhof and Wiese in 1810 . The same process is believed to have occurred in the Vesul area. The division of the individual farms often resulted in four to six farms, which were in turn expanded through clearing. In 1427 Kappl had around 550 and 1754 already 1,850 inhabitants.
16th to 18th century
In 1754 the Landeck court came to the Oberinntal district with its administrative headquarters in Imst. The Dingstätten incorporated into the Landeck court were entrusted with the self-administration of economic community affairs. The Dingstätte Stanzertal coincided roughly with the area of the original parish of Stanz (later Zams).
In the course of the Counter-Reformation, chapels were built in many hamlets so that the residents could worship near their homes. The area of today's parish Langesthei was administered by the parish Kappl until the 17th century. One reason for the split was the very arduous way to Kappl at the time. For this reason, a church was built by the local residents, which was consecrated in 1698. A chapel previously stood on the site of today's church. The separation from Kappl finally took place in 1700 through the establishment of a curate, which was not tolerated in Kappl without resistance.
Towards the end of the 18th century, as part of the introduction of compulsory schooling, schools were built in Kappl and Langesthei. Around 1800 so-called emergency schools were added in Sinsen, Perpat and Holdernach.
In 1809 the riflemen had to support the Landecker riflemen and occupy the posts at the Zeinis-Joch and in Gföll-Wiesberg. On November 24, 1809 the Gigglertoblerschlacht took place at the valley entrance. The Paznauners had to fight against a predominance of French and Bavarians. They captured a Bavarian war flag, which is still owned by the Kappl rifle company. This flag, which is now 200 years old, still proudly accompanies the Kappl rifle company during the deployment.
The victory cheers only lasted a few hours, because the next day they learned that Tyrol had been thrown down. General Raglovich, as the Bavarian commander in charge, was extremely gentle with the townspeople because he did not want to provoke any new unrest.
The elevation to the parish took place in the year 1891. Again and again the inhabitants were afflicted by disasters. Avalanches, mudslides, floods, fires, plague and cattle epidemics made life difficult for people.
On May 23, 1915, a company, composed of the parishes of the Paznaune, moved to the southern front under Captain Gottlieb Jehle von Kappl Egg. The Tyrolean riflemen held their positions until the end of the war, but the municipality of Kappl alone had 66 casualties to complain about. After the war, the rural population was also extremely poor. Rapid inflation made the then wealthy poor and the poor even poorer. In 1938 Austria was annexed to National Socialist Germany. After the outbreak of the Second World War (1939), numerous men from Kappl had to enter, 82 of whom lost their lives.
At the end of April 1945 the German troops came into the valley on their retreat, and on May 6, 1945 the Americans took over the occupation, which were later replaced by French troops.
In August 2005 an unprecedented flood disaster occurred in Paznaun. Over 30% of the streets have been washed away or spilled. For a week, the valley or Kappl could only be reached via an airlift organized by the Austrian army.