Lermoos is a municipality with 1143 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2020) in the Reutte district in Tyrol (Austria). The community is located in the judicial district of Reutte. Lermoos is located on the western edge of the basin landscape of the Lermooser Moos through which the Loisach flows, a former swamp landscape, between the Lechtal Alps, the Ammergau Alps and the Wetterstein Mountains. The municipal area is 56.4 km², of which almost 10% is settled and 60% is forest.
Lermoos is one of the oldest places in Ausserfern. It
is first documented as "Larinmos" in the years 1073-1078 in a record
of the Freising Monastery of the border in the Werdenfelser Land. At
that time Lermoos belonged to the diocese of Brixen.
As early as the first century, a Roman road, the Via Claudia Augusta, ran through what is now the municipality. Due to its location on the important connection from northern Italy and from the salt deposits in Hall over the Fernpass to Bavaria and Swabia, Lermoos became economically very important in the Middle Ages. There was an intermediate warehouse there around 1500, and as early as 1318 a "new salt barn" was mentioned, which was replaced by a new building in 1678. This was dismantled in 2007 and partially rebuilt on the grounds of the Ehrenberg Castle World in the vicinity of the Ehrenberger Klause.
Further evidence of the town's heyday at that time is the establishment of its own post office at the beginning of the 16th century and a hospital and hospice in 1558.
With the expansion of the traffic routes over the Arlberg in the nineteenth century, the heyday of Lermoos came to an end, which was also reflected in the decline in the number of inhabitants: while the community still had 818 inhabitants in 1832, the number fell to 564 by 1900.
With the strong growth of tourism after the Second World War, it became the most important tourist community in Ausserfern. In the meantime (as of 2019), the statistics for Lermoos show over 600,000 overnight stays per year, which are roughly equally divided between the summer and winter seasons. Lermoos is part of the Tiroler Zugspitz-Arena Tourist Association and has its own ski area, Grubigstein, which is operated by the Langes mountain railways.
The origin of the place name is not completely clear; the name Larinmoos used in the first documentary mention could be derived from Lärchenmoos.