Location: Schloss Naudersberg Nr. 1, Tyrol Map
Tel. 0043 (0) 664 321 70 32
Constructed: 14th century
Naudersberg Castle is a medieval fortress in Tyrol province in Austria that stands on a hill above the village Nauders.
The royal court castle was built at the beginning of the 14th
century and was first mentioned in 1325. Until 1919 the castle was
the seat of state authorities such as B. District Court.
The oldest part of the castle with a rectangular floor plan consists of the south-eastern palas and a square keep in the west. In the southern ring wall is the round-arched castle gate with iron-bound gate leaves from the 14th century, above it a manhole from the 16th century. In the late Middle Ages, the ring wall and the Palas were raised with a cloak wall and loopholes. The originally wide courtyard was built with building wings (with pitched roofs), so that only a small central courtyard remained. A Zwinger wall running parallel to the main castle with double rows of key and slits and two round towers was built in the second half of the 15th century. The Zwingertor consists of a chamfered arched portal with iron-clad wings and a pedestrian gate. In the second quarter of the 16th century, a wide outer bailey with a bastion tower was built in the south.
The keep under a (recent) gabled roof has six floors. The upper floors were built at the beginning of the 16th century. There, under the weir plate, there are two heatable, paneled detention rooms with iron doors, peephole and box lock from the 16th century. The three-storey palas under a pent roof has battlements walled up to the east and isolated original light slits. The regular rows of windows are from the 16th century. On the ground floor there is a medieval beamed ceiling on a chamfered wooden pillar. On the second floor is a prince's room with late Gothic panelling, which was covered with Empire paintings from 1806 to 1809. On the second floor is the former courtroom with a rough, richly profiled field ceiling from the end of the 15th century. The other rooms have simple 16th and 17th century moldings and paneled ceilings.
On the second floor is the rib vaulted chapel, which was later built into a corridor. The entrance to the chapel, a round arch portal, was built around 1800. A bell from 1465 hangs in the bell tower.
The castle is privately owned and has been continuously renovated since 1980. Much of the interior is now used as a museum. There are also two holiday apartments in the Palas. A restaurant has been established in the area of the inner castle gate.