Oberpullendorf (Hungarian: Felsõpulya) is a city in Central Burgenland, Austria with around 3,000 inhabitants and a high proportion of Hungarian-speaking population. The Hungarian name of the city, Fensõpulya, is given on the bilingual place-name sign.
Catholic parish church of St. Klemens Maria Hofbauer in
Catholic hll. Simon and Judas in Mitterpullendorf
Franziskuskirche, actually chapel of St. Francis of Assisi (built in 1707 and thus the oldest building in Oberpullendorf)
Oberpullendorf Castle: Former fort of the Rohonczy family, today an education and conference center for the Eisenstadt diocese
“Prehistoric and early historical iron industry” showroom in the town hall
New Year's Concert with the Ambassade Orchestra Vienna (Ensemble of the Vienna Symphony Orchestra)
Kappl meetings of the carnival guild Oberpullendorf
Art.Contact.Textile (exhibition of textile art)
Pottery in the quarry
Pullenale (Oberpullendorfer Kulturtage)
Events of the Hungarian cultural association
Imperial oak festival of the Rohonzy scout group
Events are held regularly on the main square in the city center with a children's playground and event stage.
a sports center with 7 sand and 4 indoor tennis courts, 4 bowling alleys, 3 squash courts, 1 sports and multi-purpose hall for football, basketball, etc.
a newly built stadium with over 550 seats
an outdoor pool with sports pool (33.3 meters), children's paddling pool, non-swimmer area, 1 meter diving board, water slide, beach volleyball court, table tennis table, children's play equipment and 2 sandboxes
an event area with a “skater park” and “street soccer” option as well as a model airfield and a dog training area.
Among the hiking trails through the nearby forests there is a “barefoot adventure trail”, plus bike paths and two fish ponds with fishing opportunities.
The Oberpullendorfer train station of the Burgenland Railway is also the starting point for a trolley tour.
The local soccer club SC Oberpullendorf currently plays in the 2nd regional league (2nd division middle).
Main square in the city center: children's
playground and event stage (regular events)
Sports center with 7 sand and 4 indoor tennis courts, 4 bowling alleys, 3 squash courts, 1 sports and multi-purpose hall for football, basketball, etc.
Stadium with approx. 550 seats
Outdoor pool with sports pool (33.3 meters), children's paddling pool, non-swimmer area, 1 meter diving board, water slide, beach volleyball court, table tennis table, children's play equipment and 2 sand boxes
Event area with skate park and street soccer, model airfield and dog training area.
Barefoot adventure trail
two fish ponds with the possibility of fishing.
Bicycle Draisinentour: Start from the former Oberpullendorfer station of the Burgenland Railway
The Oberpullendorf district has been settled since the Neolithic
Age. During the younger Iron Age (Celts) there was a flourishing
iron industrial area in the district. The Oberpullendorf master
gardener and local researcher Josef Polatschek carried out the
systematic mapping of the prehistoric sites.
Before the birth of Christ, the area was part of the Celtic Kingdom of Noricum and belonged to the surroundings of the Celtic hill settlement Burg on the Schwarzenbacher Burgberg. After the kingdom was incorporated into the Roman Empire, the area of today's Oberpullendorf was assigned to the Roman province of Pannonia.
The first written mention of the Hungarian border guards settlement of the Gyepűsystem from the end of the 10th century comes from the year 1225. The most important noble landlords were the counts Cseszneky and the barons Rohonczy.
In 1853, Oberpullendorf became the location of a Hungarian tax office. In 1893, on the occasion of the Güns imperial maneuvers, Emperor Franz Joseph and the monarch of the German Empire, Wilhelm II, as well as Georg von Rohonczy on the general staff as major general in Oberpullendorf were present. Like all of Burgenland, the place belonged to Hungary (German West Hungary) until 1920/21. After the end of the First World War, after tough negotiations, German-West Hungary was awarded to Austria in the Treaties of St. Germain and Trianon in 1919. The place has belonged to the newly founded federal state of Burgenland since 1921 (see also the history of Burgenland).
Just a few decades ago, the place was dominated by agriculture. In 1958 the municipalities of Oberpullendorf and Mitterpullendorf were amalgamated. Oberpullendorf has been a municipality since 1975.
Oberpullendorf is located in Central Burgenland, in the center of the administrative district of the same name. The Stooberbach flows through the municipality from northwest to southeast.
The hilltop (Fenyős erdő) west of the center of Oberpullendorf belongs to the Oberpullendorf volcano. This volcano consists of two superimposed lava flows. It is dated to the time before or around Sarmat, so it is around twelve million years old.
The municipality includes the following two localities (residents as of January 1, 2021):
The municipality of Oberpullendorf consists of the cadastral municipalities of Oberpullendorf and Mitterpullendorf (Hungarian: Középpulya, Croatian: Sridnja Pulja). The cadastral area of around 1265 hectares is divided into agriculturally used areas with approx. 850 hectares and forestry areas with approx. 320 hectares, while the remaining area of approx. 95 hectares is neither used for agriculture nor forestry (e.g. building land and Traffic areas).
Economy and Infrastructure
Today Oberpullendorf presents itself as the administrative, school and economic center of the Central Burgenland region. In the technology area, a competence center for environmental technology, recycling and renewable energies was established. In the health sector, a hospital as well as a physics institute, an X-ray center and an allergy outpatient clinic as well as various specialists meet regional needs.
The city is home to over 200 commercial enterprises, the majority of which are small and medium-sized enterprises. Numerous large companies also have their headquarters or branches in Oberpullendorf. The number of jobs is high compared to the number of inhabitants: a resident population of 2793 citizens compared to 3267 employees in the 2001 census.
The largest employers in Oberpullendorf include:
Waste management: Headquarters of Umweltdienst Burgenland GmbH, a 100% subsidiary of the Burgenland Garbage Association with 195 employees and a turnover of 28.1 million euros (2006)
Construction: Headquarters of the construction company Pfnier & Co GmbH, with around 500 employees
Telecommunications: Telekom Austria's customer care center
Automotive supplier: Kromberg and Schubert Austria GmbH & Co KG ("Kroschu"), subsidiary of the German Kromberg & Schubert GmbH, with around 170 employees
Tourism: Founding location of Blaguss Reisen GmbH, bus company with numerous travel agencies throughout Austria
Health: A.Ö. Oberpullendorf Hospital with around 400 employees
The municipality of Oberpullendorf can be reached directly via
the Burgenland expressway S 31, junction Oberpullendorf or
Oberpullendorf is an important traffic junction in Burgenland. The Burgenland Straße B 50, which runs through Burgenland from north to south, the Günser Straße B 61, which opens into the border crossing Rattersdorf / Kőszeg (H) and then leads to Szombathely (H) and the Großwarasdorferstraße L 229, which over Deutschkreutz connects with Sopron (H), run through the urban area.
A rail connection (Burgenlandbahn) is available, but has been limited to freight traffic since 1988. On December 15, 2013, the freight traffic was also discontinued and as a result, the entire route from Deutschkreutz to Oberloisdorf was sold by the Austrian Federal Railways to the sonnenland draisinentour. Along with Oberwart, Güssing, Zwettl and Waidhofen an der Thaya, Oberpullendorf is one of the five district capitals in Austria without any connection to public rail passenger transport.
Oberpullendorf is very well connected to the state capital Eisenstadt and the federal capital Vienna by public transport. Buses of the Verkehrsverbund Ostregion run to these two cities almost every hour.
In 2005 the barrier-free main street in the center of the city was redesigned and equipped with over 800 parking spaces.
A few kilometers from Oberpullendorf, in Großwarasdorf, there is the Kuga, a Burgenland-Croatian cultural center, where interesting events (folk dance to rock concerts) regularly take place.
1 SPORT-HOTEL-KURZ, Stadiongasse 16, 7350 Oberpullendorf. Tel .: +43 2612 432 33, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Price: from € 52.
2 Weingasthof Krail, 7350 Oberpullendorf, Hauptstrasse 37. Tel .: +43 2612 42220, email: email@example.com. Price: from € 37.