Radstadt is a municipality in the Austrian state of Salzburg with 4876 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2020). It is also called the "old town in the mountains" and is known as a winter sports resort.
Lerchen Castle. The building houses part of the local history museum, it shows the development of the city
City wall - The settlement of the very conveniently located terrace above the Ennstal did not begin until late, but became increasingly important. In the 13th century Finally the entire terrace was fortified and became the most systematic and regular urban complex in today's Austria. Under Archbishop Rudolf von Hohenegg, Radstadt was elevated to a city on July 27, 1289 - by the way, until 2000 the only place in the mountains with city rights of the Archdiocese of Salzburg. The city wall, which is considered a masterpiece of its kind, is still largely preserved in the original. The city entrances to the west and east, which replaced the city gates at that time, are pretty much the only structural interventions that have changed the city wall in the more than 700 years of its existence. Today the city wall of Radstadt is a listed landmark, which you can walk around on a leisurely stroll in about 20 minutes.
City towers - An important era in Radstadt was the Peasants' War of 1525/1526. 5000 farmers and miners gathered here for the last, great, desperate fight in the German Peasants' War under the leadership of Michl Gaismair. The city, under its keeper Christoph Graf von Schernberg, withstood the siege, and the advancing relief army was able to drive out the besiegers on June 19, 1526. Their leaders were beheaded, and as atonement the defeated had to strengthen the fortifications and erect the three round towers. It is still difficult to understand why only three and not four towers were built. The three towers, Hexenturm, Teichturm and Kapuzinerturm are partly used again today. The pond tower was adapted in 1998 as part of the new music and culture center and is now used as an event location.
Capuchin Tower. The Capuchin Tower, which houses a museum and whose roof structure is considered a masterpiece of carpentry, was re-adapted in 2014. The focus is on the Peasant Wars of 1525/1526, with the visitor being practically involved in the action by means of multimedia staging.
Parish Church of the Assumption. The mother parish of the Salzburg Ennstal was Altenmarkt, which is mentioned as a parish as early as 1074. Even today, Altenmarkt is the seat of the deanery. The first church dedicated to St. Virgil was built in Radstadt in 1314. In 1417, after a fire, the church was rebuilt, so that a three-aisled basilica was created in the core, Romanesque-early Gothic, to which a long, high Gothic choir was added to the east. After the fire of 1616, the church was rebuilt in a particularly beautiful way under Archbishop Markus Sittikus and the construction management of Salzburg cathedral builder Santino Solari and consecrated in 1618, combined with the change of patronage - to Our Lady of the Assumption. In 1781 the parish church burned down again and was not rebuilt for a long time. In 1859 Radstadt became its own parish. 1865 was the last damage caused by a city fire. Afterwards, the three naves were re-romanized and the choir was reorganized. From 1957 restoration of the church, adaptation to the post-conciliar liturgical regulations.
Cobblestone tower. Late Gothic light column in the cemetery of the parish church in Radstadt from the year 1513. In earlier times the so-called "eternal light" burned inside the tower, which also protects against wars, storms, diseases and epidemics such as the plague (hence the wrong opinion of the cobbler tower a plague column) was attributed. Today one of the few structures that was not affected by the frequent city fires in Radstadt.
Capuchin Church. The former Capuchin monastery was originally an
old, dilapidated castle, which can be traced back to 1401. The
monastery was built in 1628, incorporating the main walls that were
still standing. This explains the unusual height of the building. In
1634 the Capuchin Church was consecrated in honor of the Immaculate
Conception of Mary. In 1746 the monastery was enlarged. In 1978 the
Capuchin Order left Radstadt and the former monastery now serves
Radstadt as the second Catholic church. Worth seeing: Baroque high
altar and the Capuchin crypt.
Loreto Church. In 1677 Johann Christoph Ziurletti had the Loreto Church built northwest of the city. In 1986 and 1987 the Loreto Church was extensively renovated. Today the Loreto Church is only used for special occasions - the rear annex is open to visitors!
Schloss/ Castle Mauer. (Oberbräuslössl) privately owned and not open to the public.