Raiding, Austria


Raiding (Hungarian Doborján, Croatian Rajnof) is a market town in the Oberpullendorf district in Burgenland in Austria. The community is located on the Raidingbach in Central Burgenland.



Before the birth of Christ, the area was part of the Celtic Kingdom of Noricum and belonged to the surroundings of the Celtic hill settlement Burg on the Schwarzenbacher Burgberg. Later under the Romans, today's raiding was then in the province of Pannonia.

Raiding was first mentioned in a document as Dobornya in 1425. The place belonged, like the whole of Burgenland, to Hungary (German-West Hungary) until 1920/21. Since 1898 the Hungarian toponym Doborján had to be used due to the Hungarian government's policy of Hungarianization. After the end of the First World War, after tough negotiations, German-West Hungary was awarded to Austria in the Treaties of St. Germain and Trianon in 1919.

Raiding has belonged to the newly founded federal state of Burgenland since 1921.

On January 1st, 1971, Raiding was united with Lackendorf and Unterfrauenhaid to form the new “Municipality of Raiding-Unterfrauenhaid” within the framework of the “Municipal Structure Improvement Act” by a resolution of the Burgenland provincial government. This large community was dissolved again by ordinance of September 6, 1989 on January 1, 1990, whereby Raiding - like Lackendorf and Unterfrauenhaid - again became an independent community following the boundaries of the cadastral community.

The municipality of Raiding has had the right to use the designation “market municipality” since August 1st, 1990.



The Roman Catholic parish church of Raiding is located in the center of Raiding in the market town of Raiding in Burgenland. The parish church of St. Antonius belongs to the Deanery of Deutschkreutz in the Diocese of Eisenstadt. The church is under monument protection. The nave was built in 1927 in place of a previous church, while the existing church tower and choir were preserved. The nave has three bays. The retracted chancel with a three-eighth note has a groined vault.

Franz Liszt's birthplace: Since 1951, a museum about the composer's life has been set up in the birthplace of Franz Liszt. The house where Franz Liszt was born is in Burgenland in Raiding at Lisztstraße 46. In 1911 a museum dedicated to Franz Liszt was opened and in 2006 a concert hall was added. The building was part of a noble courtyard which, according to the coat of arms and the inscription on the round-arched portal leading to the property at Lisztstrasse 46, was built by Georg Szeged in 1587 and enlarged in 1610/20. Acquired by the Esterházy family between 1806 and 1808, the buildings were continued as Esterházy'scher Meierhof.

In old plans, only the central building of the Meierhof, the "Edelhof", is shown as a T-shaped facility, the outbuildings only appear in the cadastral plan of 1911. This building complex of the central building emerged from the two curial buildings by Johann Illésy, who created the traditional T-shape by structural redesign of the Edelhof around 1610/20. The part of the building that still exists today (the residential wing was demolished in the 19th century) includes the last three-room section of the rear-facing garden wing (enclosing an arcade walled up on the long side).

The house housed the Liszt Museum from 1911. After the Meierhof was closed in 1940 and the plots around the Liszt House had been sold, the renovation and design began in 1949 and, on October 7, 1951 in the presence of Federal Minister of Education Felix Hurdes (1901-1974), the (re)opening of the three-room house - not as a Liszt museum, but - as a Liszt memorial, in which the few original mementos , which remained from the collection created in 1911, were displayed in glass cases. In 1971 the property was transferred from Paul Esterházy to the community.

After extensive redesign, the house where he was born was opened on April 27, 1979 as the Franz Liszt Museum in the presence of Hans Walter Wild (1919–2001), mayor of Bayreuth, Liszt’s place of death.

The collection owns the organ from the old church, a small baroque positive that was repaired in 1840 on behalf of Franz Liszt. The museum owns a bust of Franz Liszt created by the sculptor Kaspar Zumbusch (1830–1915) in 1867 and erected in 1925.

The round-arched portal, which still has a shingle roof and is fitted with a lattice, carries a statue of Maria Immaculata on the cornice between two pine cones attached to the side.

Franz Liszt Concert Hall: The concert hall was built in 2006 according to plans by the Dutch architects Atelier Kempe Thill in the immediate vicinity of Franz Liszt's birthplace. The concert hall has around 590 seats. The focus of the program is the piano and chamber music by Franz Liszt.
Stork house: The Japanese architect Terunobu Fujimori built the so-called stork house in Raiding. The guest house was built as part of a cultural exchange program between Japan and Austria and was completed on October 27, 2012.
The 1975 film Dead places by Axel Corti is partly set in Raiding.


Regular events

Experimental inns: Since 2010, the art and architecture initiative Raiding Project has been building experimental inns by well-known Japanese architects in the community. The activities are accompanied by a top-class artistic supporting program.
Liszt Festival Raiding: Since the opening of the Franz Liszt Concert Hall in 2006, the Liszt Festival Raiding has been held annually on four dates, depending on the four seasons, on 3 to 4 days each. There are concerts every year on different topics. In 2020 the event was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.


Economy and Infrastructure

Raiding had been connected to the Burgenland Railway since 1908 with the Raiding-Lackendorf stop and loading point. Passenger services were discontinued in 2001.

Bus lines operate during the week. At weekends, the municipality is practically inaccessible by public transport.




Due to the number of eligible voters, the municipal council has a total of 15 members.


Community board

In addition to Mayor Markus Landauer (ÖVP) and Deputy Mayor Christian Zimmer (SPÖ), the executive councilors Marcus Gullner (ÖVP), Thomas Kautz (SPÖ) and Peter Zolles (ÖVP) also belong to the municipal board.

Peter Minasch (SPÖ) was elected municipal treasurer and Peter Zolles (ÖVP) was elected municipal environmental councillor.



Mayor is Markus Landauer (ÖVP). In the direct mayoral elections in 2007, he prevailed with 50.20% against Mayor Anna Schlaffer (SPÖ, 49.80%), who had been in office since 2002. In the election on October 1, 2017, Landauer was confirmed in office with 61.95%. Christian Zimmer (SPÖ) competed with 38.05%.

In the 2022 election, Markus Landauer received 61.51 percent of the votes in the first ballot and remained mayor of Raiding.

The office manager is Elisabeth Ackerler.


Coat of arms

Blazon: "In front of the shield split by silver and blue, a blue vine with two grapes and a leaf, behind a rising silver unicorn turned to the right"
The coat of arms was awarded on July 18, 1990. The unicorn is taken from the coat of arms of the aristocratic Illéssy family, whose noble farm became the birthplace of Franz Liszt. The vine refers to the viticulture in the community.


Partner community

Grafenwörth in Lower Austria is a partner municipality of Raiding.


Sons and daughters of the community

Franz Liszt (1811–1886), composer and musician
Martin Drescher (1888–1958), farmer and politician (ÖVP)
Johann Erhardt (1926-2019), farmer and politician (ÖVP)
Johann Wolf (1931-2006), secondary school teacher and politician (ÖVP)
Franz Stocker (* 1933), electrician, member of the Federal Council and member of the National Council
Paul Iby (born 1935), Roman Catholic Bishop of Eisenstadt
Anna Schlaffer (* 1953), politician (SPÖ) and certified social worker

honorary citizen
Paul Iby, Diocesan Bishop (conferred October 20, 1991)
Melinda Esterhàzy de Galantha †, Princess, Large Landowner (awarded 18 September 1993)

honorary ring bearer
Alois Nöhrer, former mayor D. (awarded September 24, 1995)
Josef Fennesz, a. D. (awarded May 29, 1997)
Johann Erhardt, a. D. (awarded September 13, 2009)
Franz and Inge Drescher, Raiding Care Center (awarded on October 3, 2015).

Winner of the "Franz Liszt Medal"
Franz Weninger † (awarded December 22, 1990)
Johann Erhardt, President of the Landtag (awarded October 20, 1996)
Emil Schreiner † (awarded October 20, 1996)
Martin Waranitsch, Chairman of the Senior Citizens' Association (awarded on December 15, 2012)