Saint Mark's Cathedral (Korcula Island)

Saint Mark's Cathedral (Korcula Island) /

 

 

Location: Saint Mark's Square

Open: 9am- 9pm Jul- Aug

 

Treasury

Tel. 020 711 049

Open: 9am- 8pm Mon- Sat, May- Nov

 

Description of the Saint Mark's Cathedral

Saint Mark's Cathedral is the main Roman Catholic church in the city. It was built by local masters from the fifteenth century to the mid-sixteenth century. It is at the forefront of the city, at the top of the peninsula. In 1557, an organ was placed in the cathedral. The bell tower was carved by resident of Korcula, Marko Andrijic. Tintoretto painted the altarpiece. The portal is the work of master Bonino from Milan. A new organ was built in 1787 by Vinko Klisevic. In modern times, a bronze statue of Jesus Christ, the work of Croatian sculptor Frano Kršinić, was added to the baptistery.

Abbey Treasury is situated just adjacent to the cathedral. It is particularly noteworthy for a collection of 15th and 16th century Dalmatian paintings including a polyptych of The Virgin by Blaž Trogiranin. Additionally many religious items are kept here for tourist display.

 

Background
The cathedral was built starting from 1407 in place of a previous church dedicated to Mary following the foundation of the diocese of Curzola. The new church included portions of the old church, such as the apse, and the public buildings that were already present in the square, such as the loggia and the city tower. Shortly after completion, a chapel was added along the north aisle in 1525, giving the impression of a fourth nave, with its columns and arches.

Subsequent interventions mainly in the late Baroque style have changed the original appearance of the cathedral, in the Gothic - Renaissance style, restored in a subsequent restoration.

Facade
The main portal is characterized by the presence of two stylized lions, the work of Bonino from Milan.

Internal
Inside the Cathedral, divided into three naves, you can immediately see the main altar dominated by a high ciborium, dating back to 1486 and placed by the local sculptor Marco Andrijć. The altarpiece, which represents Saints Mark, Jerome and Bartholomew, dates back to the mid-15th century and is considered an early work by Tintoretto, as is the Annunciation preserved in the southern nave. Under the main altar is the baroque reliquary of San Teodoro and, next to it, a late Romanesque relief depicting the Agnus Dei.

Other noteworthy works are the polychrome statue of the Holy Trinity, a work by Leandro Bassano dating back to 1622, an icon with the Madoonna dell'Isola and an altar from 1576 whose figures in pure gold were made by the local artist Franjo Čiočić.