The Cipiko Palace is a Venetian Gothic palace constructed by Koriolan Cipiko, thus giving the structure its name. The Ćipiko Palace is located opposite the Trogir cathedral. Inside the palace you can see a figure head taken from a Turkish galley captured during the naval battle of Lepanto in 1571. Famous Croatian architect Ivan Duknovic took part in designing the exterior of the palace. The palace itself is a complex of several buildings, connected in time to a unified whole. The oldest walls date back to the early Middle Ages, and the largest part of the complex was built in the 13th century century. The most radical change of palaces is experienced in XV century, at the time of the humanist, warrior and writer Koriolana Ćipika, who recruited the most prominent artists of this time Nikola Firentinac, Andrija Alešija and Ivan Duknović.
The Ćipiko Palace complex is located on the town
square, a small spatial part of the historic center of Trogir, in
which surrounded by narrow streets, gathered in one place the most
representative buildings: the cathedral, the Communal Palace, the
town lodge - court, the church of St. Sebastian with the clock tower
and the palace complex Ćipiko.
Among the builders of the Ćipiko plateau in Trogir is certainly the most famous Trogir humanist Coriolan Cippico (1425 - 1493), the main figure of Trogir's political and cultural history of the second half of the 15th century, author of the book, incunabula, Petri Mocenici imperatoris gestorum libri tres (better known as De bello asiatico), printed in 1477, which later had several editions. His work has not been forgotten in contemporary Venetian historiography either. It describes the warrior feats of Pietro Mocenig, under whose command, as a co-commander of the Trogir galley, war was fought against the Turks in Asia Minor, the Aegean and the Ionian Sea. Coriolanus Cippico was a versatile figure, with Renaissance personalities, skilled in sword, pen, and politics; he was repeatedly elected ambassador (orator) in Venice; he was repeatedly elected opera (guardian) and treasurer of the cathedral, so he had the opportunity to hire famous artists not only to build the chapel of St. John of Trogir but also to his palace.
Small and large Ćipiko Palace
The small palace is a complex of several connected buildings, and most of them are from the 13th century. The Renaissance courtyard is interesting, and the portal on the first floor is decorated with candelabra, a favorite motif of Nikola Firentinac.
The Great Ćipik Palace, whose adaptation is related to the late Gothic style, is most likely the work of several builders, so:
two late Gothic trifores on the east façade and the south portal are attributed to the builder and sculptor Andrija Aleši.
southern portal, to Andrija Aleši and Nikola Florentinac.
the eastern, renaissance portal opposite the Cathedral is attributed to Ivan Duknović; as well as a statue of an angel holding a torch in one hand and the family coat of arms of Ćipiko in the other.
The Garanjin Palace was created, like many other noble palaces, by connecting several houses into a single whole. This palace was owned by the Venetian Garanjin family, from the 18th century, which in the 19th century became part of the prominent Zadar Fanfonja family, from which cavalry commanders in the Venetian army were chosen. Today, this building houses the Museum of the City of Trogir, where you can see objects from Hellenistic, Roman and medieval Trogir. An interesting salon with furniture from the 17th and 18th centuries, portraits of nobles and weapons ... The library of the Garanjin family is very important, with about 5,500 titles. There is a Lapidarium on the ground floor, and it consists of a collection of old monuments made of stone, presented chronologically - from antiquity to the Baroque.
The complex of the Ćipiko Palace consists of a large (domus magna) and a small palace.
The great palace of the Ćipiko family
The great palace of Domus magna, as it is called in the will of Coriolanus Cipicus - was created by merging several medieval houses and their radical adaptation at the beginning of the second half of the 15th century. The central part of the palace is the former house of the Cega family, which was inherited by the Chipiko family. The year 1457 can be taken as the time of adaptation of the house into a palace, based on the inscription in the palace yard:
The great Ćipiko Palace is located across from the cathedral and belonged to the famous Ćipiko family. The most famous member of this family, Coriolanus Cipico, a writer and humanist, hired Nikola Firentinac and Andrija Aleši to rebuild the palace. In the atrium of the palace there is a wooden rooster from the beak of a Turkish galley, a kind of memory of the battle of Lepanto in 1571.
The small palace is also a complex of several connected buildings, and most of them are from the 13th century. This palace is characterized by a Renaissance courtyard, and the portal on the first floor is decorated with candelabra, a favorite motif of Nicholas of Florence.
Due to almost two centuries of construction on the palaces, there are different stylistic solutions from Renaissance, Romanesque, Gothic to late Renaissance, and the influence of many famous Trogir masters of palace builders: Andrija Aleši, Nikola Firentinac and Ivan Duknović - who gave their personal characteristics.
The so-called small Ćipiko Palace is located in
the main longitudinal street, opposite the town lodge and the church
of St. Martin (Barbara). An ancient pavement of a possible agora
(forum) of Traguria was discovered on the ground floor of the
The palace is a set of houses whose core is a courtyard with a porch and an external staircase. The earliest phase of these houses dates back to the 13th century, in the Romanesque style (towards the door with a sickle arch located in the courtyard or through the Romanesque window on the third floor), visible from the main square.
The Ćipiko family acquired these houses in the 1980s, and made changes to them in the Renaissance style, in which Ivan Duknović probably took part.
The wing of the palace on the south side of the yard is closed by a house that once belonged to the Lucić family. The volume, with its façade to the east, towards the main longitudinal street, to the south-western edge of the square, faces the Grand Lodge, and belonged until 1481 to the merchants, the brothers Nikola and Ivan Salamunić.
At the front of the building, in the level of the first floor, there are two Gothic trifores, of which the left is a replica from the middle of the 20th century. On the right triforium, which dates from the beginning of the 15th century, a Renaissance frame with the coat of arms of the Ćipiko family was subsequently added. Trifora is probably the work of the builder and sculptor Petar Pozdančić from the 1410s. There is a porch in the yard on the west side, and an external staircase on the east side.
The yard underwent a change in the eighties of the 15th century, at a time when the houses became the property of the Ćipiko family, and on the west and north sides, they received balconies on the level of the first and long floors. The balcony railing on the first floor is composed of stone slabs, inside which are circles with inscribed four-leaf clover. Between these plates are inserted smaller plates with a Renaissance motif of flutes - grooves on which are the coats of arms of the Ćipiko family.
The portal on the first floor and the top of the stairs are decorated with candelabras, which are the work of Nikola Florentinac.
The portal to the Square, which faces the Cathedral, was built by Ivan Duknović,
The Gothic triforium and the courtyard with colonnades and galleries in the middle of this building are entirely the work of Andrija Alešija.
Together with the pilasters, the palace has a total of about 10 m of fence in the inner courtyard of 41 m2. The pilasters were carved separately from the parapet slabs and then mounted as monolithic "captains" to which traforged slabs were added on the sides.
The gallery in the Ćipiko Palace extends over the two wings of the courtyard (570 and 426 cm), while the stairs rise along the third wing.
On the south door is a sculpture with lions by Nicola Florentinac and the inscription: NOSCE TE IPSUM, whose translation is: Get to know yourself.
On the balcony of the first floor is a pillar with a capital of Gothic style characteristics that accepts the balcony of the second floor, unsuccessfully reconstructed with a concrete beam.