Location: Split-Dalmatia County   Map

Info: Obala bana Berislavica 12

(021) 881 412

Photos provided courtesy of Goianobe

Link 1

Link 2


Description of Trogir

Trogir (in Italian and Dalmatian Traù, in Latin Tragurium, in Greek Tragurion, in Hungarian Trau) is a port and historical city on the Adriatic coast, in the Split-Dalmatia region, Croatia, where 10,907 inhabitants reside (2001) , 13,322 in the municipality (2001). Trogir is located 27 km west of Split. The city is built on a small island (about 1 km²) located between the mainland and the island of Ciovo. The center of the city is considered a World Heritage Site by UNESCO since 1997.


Trogir is a historic Croatian city located in Split-Dalmatia County on the shores of the Adriatic Sea. It was initially found by the Greek colonists who liked the this well defended and well suitable harbor. Greeks also gave the city its name after a Greek tragos that means male goat. The city was demolished by the Saracen invasion in 1123. Its reconstruction was carried out by the Genoese and Venetians who fought over possession of the strategic harbor. In the late 18th century Trogir became part of the Habsburg Empire, after World War I it became part of Yugoslavia. Upon the break up Trogir went into possession of Croatia.


Travel Destinations in Trogir

Croatian town of Trogir was first mentioned in the 3rd century BC. It rose to prominence by playing an important role as a trading post between Greek colonists and local tribes. Over time Trogir was overshadowed by much larger town of Split. However coming of Dark Ages to the Roman Empire along with hordes of barbarians became a mixed blessing for Trogir. Its strategic island position made sure that even small military garrison could defend residents of the town. Unlike nearby cities Trogir wasn't sacked by the barbarians. The old historic part of the town is added to a UNESCO World Heritage due to its unique architecture.


The beginnings of tourism date back to the 1930s, when tourists from Czechoslovakia and other Central European countries began to arrive. It is often visited by prominent world figures from culture and politics, such as George Bernard Shaw, and King Edward VIII of England. accompanied by Wallis Simpson. Prominent Croatian and foreign painters often come to Trogir. The first tourist guide to the city's sights was published in 1936. After the Second World War, tourism revived, especially from the mid-1960s, when significant accommodation facilities began to be built.

It is characteristic of Trogir that it is not a classic tourist resort where guests come because of the sun and the sea, but because of getting to know its historical and cultural heritage. Therefore, its accommodation capacities were limited, and tourists located in the wider region. Until the 1990s, there was no aspiration to build large tourist capacities, because the economic development of the City primarily depended on the shipbuilding industry. Hotel Medena with 1300 beds, apartments and a camp is the only hotel with significant accommodation capacities. Next to it there are a dozen smaller hotels, with a capacity of 20 to 50 beds. A significant number of accommodation capacities fall on private accommodation. There are also three auto-camps, with a capacity of 3000 seats.

Due to the rapid expansion of nautical tourism, two modern marinas have been built in the Trogir area, with the possibility of accepting up to 500 boats. ACI Trogir is located on Ciovo, right next to the shipyard, and opposite the city waterfront, which provides special benefits. The marina has the possibility of accommodating boats throughout the year, and repairs and maintenance of ships. ACI marina Trogir also has its own fleet of sailboats from 7 to 15 meters, which is rented throughout the year. Adventure tourism is on the rise, so in addition to the classic forms of renting sports boats, parachutes, fishing with huts and one-day cruises, there is also a diving school known throughout Europe.

Ornithological tourism in the area of ​​the Pantan Nature Park is still in its infancy and is poorly promoted and visited.


Kamerlengo Castle (Gradina Kamerlengo) (Trogir)

Cathedral of St. Lawrence (Trogir)
Cipiko Palace (Trogir)

Rector's Palace (Trogir)


Garagnin-Fanfogna Palace is a complex consisting of two blocks of Romanesque and Gothic houses, created in the second half of the 18th century on that occasion, united according to the project of Ignacij Macanović. The southern one-storey building with an external staircase had an economic purpose, and today it serves as a city lapidary in which the walls of the Hellenistic Traguri are presented. Upstairs is the Cate Dujšin-Ribar gallery. The main entrance to the palace with a vestibule and staircase was on the east side of the block, in the main city street, and was decorated with components of late Baroque Macanović decoration. The interior has preserved a salon with ceiling stucco from the 18th century. There is also a rich library of Ivan L. Garagnin (1722-1783), a collector of archaeological monuments and numismatics, decorated with a wall painting with portraits of philosophers and writers. A collection of paintings and etchings from the 17th and 18th centuries has also been preserved. The palace houses the Museum of the City of Trogir.


Trogir City Museum
The Trogir City Museum was opened to the public in 1966. It is located in the Garagnin Palace (or Garagnin-Fanfogna; also a protected cultural property). The permanent exhibition of the Museum shows historical movements, artistic styles and everyday life of the city from the Middle Ages to the present day. The protected museum holdings of the Trogir City Museum include the Zlata Radej Ceramics Collection, the Cate Dujšin-Ribar Gallery Collection, the Ethnographic Collection, the Lapidary Archaeological Collection, the Medieval Cultural History Collection, the Modern Cultural History Collection, the Contemporary History Collection, the Contemporary Art Collection, and the Contemporary Art Collection. Maritime collection.


Tower of St. Mark in Trogir
Tower of St. Marka is located in the northwest of the old part of Trogir. The round tower adapted for defense against cannon shots was built by the Venetian Republic during the 15th century, at the time of the Turkish invasions. The tower is exposed towards the mainland, and was originally connected by the city walls with the Kamerlengo fortress.

Not far from the tower, more precisely on the promenade between the Kamerlengo tower and the tower itself, and next to the football field stands Gloriette (classicist pavilion) - a circular colonnade of classicist shapes. It was built in 1809. during the short-lived French rule, and in honor of Marshal Marmont. It is important to emphasize that Gloriette is one of the few monuments of French rule in Dalmatia.


The Church of St. Peter belonged to the Benedictine nunnery, which according to tradition was founded in 1242 by the wife of the Hungarian-Croatian King Bela IV. On the main façade is a baroque portal in which the lunette with the bust of St. Petra, the work of Nicholas of Florence. In the second half of the 17th century, the interior was baroqued. A wooden ceiling was made divided into oval, semi-oval and hexagonal fields framed by richly profiled frames with twisted ribbon. Two side marble altars dedicated to the Mother of God and St. Ignatius of Loyola. Monumental statues of St. Peter and Paul from the middle of the 17th century have been preserved from the wooden main altar. In the sidewalk of the church, the decorated tombstones of the Andreis and Cipiko families from Trogir stand out.

The Church of St. Sebastian was built in 1476 as a vow of the citizens of Trogir to St. Sebastian for salvation from the plague. The facade of this Renaissance building, made by Nikola Firentinac, is decorated with sculptures of St. Sebastian, the coats of arms of Bishop Jacob Turlon and the city prince Malipier, and above them a sculpture of Christ the Savior. Above the façade rises a two-story city clock tower. In the part of the eastern wall, two conches of the six-leafed Church of St. Mary, which stood on the eastern side, have been preserved to the top. Along the side walls inside the church, three sarcophagi used for burials under the pavement of the porch of the Church of St. Mary are presented. A stone plaque with the names of veterans from the Trogir area who died in the Homeland War has been placed on the west wall.

The Trogir town lodge was first mentioned in the 13th century. It originally served as an open space for public gatherings, and on certain days and hours it was intended for organized communal legal service, concluding contracts, publishing laws, as well as the trial itself. On the east wall in 1471, a retable of Justice was depicted depicting a Venetian lion and the patron saints of the city, St. Lawrence and Blessed John of Trogir, the work of the workshop of Nikola Firentinac. It is a monument made in honor of the Venetian Republic. The central field depicting a lion was removed in 1932. On the south wall is a relief depicting Ban Petar Berislavić on horseback, the work of Ivan Meštrović. The lodge was renovated in 1892.

Rotonda All Marija na Poljani belongs to the typology of six-leafed churches of the first half of the 9th century. The church is a building surmounted by a central dome and surrounded by six apses, modeled on the Carolingian chapels. Her four altars are mentioned: the main one dedicated to the Assumption of Mary, the second, the Renaissance altar of St. Jerolim erected in 1463, st. Mary of Loreto and St. Lucia. It was demolished in the middle of the 19th century, and the appearance has been preserved on a 19th-century graphic made by the French artist Ch. L. Clerisseau. The apses outside had three niches separated by ledges, and the tambour of the dome was rhythmic with niches with windows. To the west of the church there is a mention of a porch that was used as a courtroom, and in front of it a city street closed in the 15th century by the construction of a city clock tower.


Town Hall (Trogir)
Trg Ivana Pavla II

Saint Barbara Church (Trogir)
It is the oldest of the surviving churches in Trogir. It was constructed in the 9th century.

Church of St. Nicholas (Trogir)
Gradska ulica 2
Tel. (021) 881 631
Church of St. Dominic (Trogir)
Obala Bana Berislavica
Open: summer: 8am- noon, 4pm- 7pm daily

Church of St. John the Baptist (Trogir)
Land Gate (Trogir)

Statue of Saint John of Trokir




History of Trogir

In the third century B. C., Tragurio was founded by Greek settlers from the Isle of Vis, developing as an important port until the arrival of the Roman Empire. The rapid prosperity of Salona (today Solin, near Split) reduced the importance of Trogir. During the migration of the Slavs, the citizens of the destroyed Salona fled to Trogir. From the ninth century, Trogir paid tribute to the successive kings of Croatia. The diocese of Trogir was established in the eleventh century (abolished in 1828) and in 1107 was left to the Hungarian king Coloman, thus gaining its autonomy as a city.

In 1123 it was conquered and almost completely destroyed by the Saracens. However, Trogir recovered after a short period experiencing a powerful economic prosperity during the 12th and 13th centuries. In 1242 King Béla IV found refuge here when he fled from the Tartars. In the 13th and 14th centuries, the Šubic family frequently governed the duchy of Trogir, elected by the citizens; Mladen III 1348, according to the inscription that appears in the tomb of the Cathedral of Trogir, called "the shield of the Croats", was one of the most prominent members of the Šubic family.

In 1420, a long period begins under Venetian control. With the fall of Venice in 1797, Trogir became part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire that had control of the city until 1918, except during the occupation of the city by France between 1806 and 1814.

After the First World War, Trogir, together with all of Croatia, became part of the "State of the Slovenes, Croats and Serbs", which would later be known as Yugoslavia. The Italian Dalmatians of Trau, under the command of Count Farfogna, tried to imitate what D'Annunzio did in Fiume by creating an independent Italian territory in 1919, but the tentative failed. During World War II, Trogir was occupied by Italy and later liberated in 1944. From then on it belonged to Yugoslavia, and since 1991 to Croatia.