Kamerlengo Castle (Gradina Kamerlengo) (Trogir)

 Kamerlengo Castle (Gradina Kamerlengo) (Trogir)


Description of Kamerlengo Castle or Gradina Kamerlengo

Kamerlengo Castle or Gradina Kamerlengo in Croatian started with a Veriga Tower that was constructed in the 14th century by the Genoese to keep check on sudden enemy attacks. The fortress was built soon after the takeover of the city by the Republic of Venice in 1420 by Mayor Marin Radojev according to the plans of the Venetian military engineer Pincino da Bergamo. It is part of the expansion of the Veriga tower (Tower of Chains), which was built in the same place in 1380. The exterior walls were once decorated with the coats of arms of Pietro Loredan, a Venetian admiral, the doge Francesco Foscari and Trogir's prince Magdaleno Contarini.

Originally the fort was surrounded by a moat and on the north and east side a large wall supported the defense of the castle. The main entrance on the north side had a drawbridge. The lord of the castle and his crew lived in houses in the courtyard. They were destroyed in the 19th century together with the chapel of Saint Mark. The name of the castle takes roots from Italian camerlengo that roughly translates as chamberlain or an administrative official. Today it serves as place for performances in summer months. After massive restoration upper parts of the towers and walls became accessible to the tourists.


The word kamerlengo (Italian camerlengo) refers to the title of chamberlain, a Venetian administrative official. The building ensemble is used for events in summer.


In 1380, the Tower of Chains was erected on the site of the future fortress.

The Kamerlengo was built after 1420, when Trogir became part of the Venetian Republic. The fortress defended the channel and port. The walls of the fortification were decorated with the lion of St. Mark (the symbol of the Venetian Republic), the coats of arms of the Doge Francesco Foscari, the Venetian admiral Pietro Loredana and the Trogir prince Maddaleno Contarini.

Camerlengo was built according to the project of the Venetian military engineer Pinzino from Bergamo under the guidance of the master Marino Radoe.

The fortification was surrounded by a moat, and on the north and east sides - by a high embankment. The main gate with a lunette and a drawbridge was located in the north.

The buildings in the courtyard of the castle, where the castellan (castle keeper) and the guards lived, as well as the chapel of St. Mark were destroyed in the 19th century.

The fortress is used as a museum. There is an observation deck on the tower. Directly to the northern wall of the fortress there is a football stadium with a capacity of about 1,000 spectators, where the local football club Trogir hosts guest teams. On the opposite side, the St. Mark's Tower adjoins the field, once connected with the Camerlengo.

In the summer, festivals, theatrical performances, carnivals and concerts are held in the huge open space inside the fortress.