Archaeological Museum in Split


Zrinsko-Frankopanska 25
The Archaeological Museum in Split is the oldest museum in Croatia, founded in 1820 by a decree of the Dalmatian government in Zadar. The first director was the physician and archaeologist Frano Lanza. The original museum building stood along the east walls of Diocletian's Palace. Today's museum building was built in 1912-1914. Since 1878, the Museum has been publishing the first archaeological journal, entitled Bullettino di archeologia e storia dalmata (Journal of Dalmatian Archeology and History).

The museum preserves about 150,000 archaeological monuments and artifacts, one part of which is presented through a permanent exhibition. The museum has a valuable collection of archaeological objects from prehistory, from the time of Greek colonization of the Adriatic, the Roman and early Christian periods and the early Middle Ages.

The museum conducts systematic archaeological research at the sites in Salona and Issa, and has a handy collection and the site of Salona as well as a handy collection of Issa in the building of Our Lady of the Battery and the site of the same name in the town of Vis.

From 1884, the long-time director of the museum was Don Frane Bulić.

The Archaeological Museum building is a protected cultural asset.