City Hall in Šibenik



Šibenik City Hall is located on the north side of the old main town square (formerly Plathea communis - Communal Square, today the Square of the Republic of Croatia) opposite the northern facade of the famous Cathedral of St. Jacob.

The City Hall was certainly the most prestigious civilian building in medieval Šibenik, and even today it is one of the most famous cultural monuments of Krešimir's city. Many consider it one of the most beautiful Croatian city halls in general. It was built in the first half of the 16th century, more precisely between 1533 and 1546, in the style of the High Renaissance, and is characterized by a distinct harmony. The chief architect is not known. The building consists of a ground floor and a first floor. The ground floor begins with a porch with nine semicircular arches, typical of the Renaissance style, which rest on ten pillars above which extends a cornice on which are bases with reliefs of large lion heads. The ground floor used to house the city administration offices, while the city council sessions took place upstairs in the representative hall. The front of the first floor is divided by pillars, and in the lower part it is decorated with a balustrade and a richly decorated balcony (reliefs of lion heads and floral ornament). To the left of the Gad town hall is a small bell tower "on a pediment" whose bell invited the city nobles to a council. In the 18th century, on both sides of the town hall, the Šibenik builder Ivan Skok made very beautiful stairs. During World War II, on December 13, 1943, the town hall was completely destroyed during an Allied air attack on a city that was under German occupation. After the war, Šibenik City Hall was reconstructed in its original form under the expert guidance of the architect Harold Bilinić, and its interior was equipped in accordance with the new purposes of the building. On the first floor of the Šibenik City hall, there is still a representative hall where civil marriages take place, and sometimes city events are held, while the ground floor has been converted into a restaurant.