The Church of St. Krševan from the 12th century is located in the
old town of Šibenik on the right side in Don Krste Stošić Street. It
is the oldest preserved sacral building in Šibenik, originally built
in the Romanesque style. In the same street is the Dominican
monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary.
It was first mentioned in 1124, at a time when refugees from Biograd, destroyed by the Venetian Republic, found refuge in it. In 1200, the church is still outside the city walls, within which it will be located with the expansion of medieval Šibenik in the 14th century. Although it has been upgraded several times, the original Romanesque style is still visible in the design of its semicircular apse. In the 15th century, the church of Sv. Krševana has undergone major changes that bear the hallmarks of the Gothic style. Then, on the west side of the church, a staircase was built, the work of the Venetian master Antonio Bussat, who also worked at the Šibenik Cathedral, but was removed in the middle of the 19th century. However, to this day, the church has a visible lintel with the recorded year of construction of the staircase - 1439 and a relief carved on it with two members of the fraternity kneeling at the feet of the Mother of God. The church served as a pilgrimage until World War II during which it suffered considerable damage. The people of Šibenik knew her as St. Antu (hermit). After the war, it was renovated and became an exhibition space of the city museum, while today it houses an art gallery. Outside the church, next to its southern wall, there is the oldest bell in Croatia, from 1266, which was found on the seabed near Silba by sponge divers from the island of Krapanj.