Senj

 

 

Senj (Latin Senia or Segnia, Greek Athyinites (Αθυινιτες), German and Hungarian Zengg, Italian Segna) is the oldest city on the upper Adriatic, and was founded in pre-Roman times some 3000 years ago (Senia) on the hill Kuk. It was the main center of the Illyrian tribe of Japod. The current settlement is located at the foot of the slopes of the Chapel and Velebit. The symbol of the city, the Nehaj Fortress, also known as the "Nehaj Tower", is located on the hill Trbušnjak, often called Nehaj, was completed in 1558 and has been the seat of the Uskoks until they were expelled from the city in 1617 after that the Habsburg Monarchy made peace with the Venetians. It is located in Lika-Senj County, and also belongs to the Gospić-Senj Diocese and the Archdiocese of Rijeka (metropolis) within the Roman Catholic Church.

 

History

latnici who with their work and parts of Senj created one of the most important foci of Croatian culture, which by its importance stands alongside Dubrovnik.

Southeast of the city, General Ivan Lenković built the massive fortress of Nehaj in 1558, which dominates the landscape and from which a green grove and a Greek well can be seen to the southeast. It is the so-called Abbot's. It is assumed that the monastery of St. George, the patron saint of the town of Senj, was located there in the 12th century.

At the beginning of the 16th century, refugees immigrated to Senj from the areas conquered by the Ottomans, who together with the people of Senj successfully fought against the Ottomans and later Venice, and were called Uskoks. During the reign of Ferdinand III, in 1652, Senj became a free city, and a century later it became part of the Austrian Littoral as part of the Military Border until 1871, when it was returned to Ban Croatia.

As a destination point of Jozefinska cesta, Senj was the largest Croatian port until the construction of the railway to Rijeka in 1873. Since that time the glory of its economic importance.

Senj was fortified against defensive walls during the 15th and 16th centuries before the Ottoman threat, and the narrower town center was built with recognizable coastal architectural features: narrow winding streets, harmonious small shops and a series of houses with picturesque details.

The castle with a cylindrical and quadrangular tower, the former seat of the Frankopans and Senj captains, is located on the square Cilnica - Velika placa. Of church architecture, the Romanesque cathedral is significant, later baroqued with a crypt and a new bell tower from 1900. Of the Franciscan church from 1559, only the bell tower remained after the bombing in 1943.


Monuments and landmarks
Nehaj Fortress
City Museum, exhibition of sacral heritage
12th century cathedral
City walls and defensive towers
Ožegovićianum, dormitory for poor students, founder Bishop Mirko Ožegović
Bura, extremely strong and cold wind, they say that he was born in Senj, lives in Rijeka, dies in Trieste
Remains of the church of Sv. Francis, Uskok mausoleum, tomb of the Frankopan family
Church of St. Marija od Arta, the votive church of Senj sailors and fishermen, models of ships
remains of the Senj tablet, around 1100, written in Glagolitic
monumental square Cilnica
city ​​port
Senj humor, the first and oldest humorous paper in Croatia - Broom and schwacera, the official gazette of the current masquerade government in Senj, the newspaper with the longest continuity
The Great Gate, the end of Josephine Road and the entrance to the City. They bear markings of the distance between Senj and other cities expressed in German miles, adorned with the crown of the Habsburgs.
Catacombs, tombs below the Cathedral
Uskočka street, a beautiful, untouched example of medieval architecture
The bell tower of the cathedral, the highest bell tower in the Gospić-Senj diocese and the entire Rijeka metropolis
Sacral heritage, a collection of portraits of bishops of Senj from the 16th to the 20th century, a collection of books (incunabula), an exhibition of gold and silver, the bishop's staff of Bishop Christopher, a collection of furniture and Mass vestments, and others.
City Museum
Sundial built on the Adriatic highway in the northern part of the city due to the fact that the city of Senj lies on the 45th parallel
Pijavica Cave is one of the two caves in Croatia where the effect of blueness has been observed
In the old church outside the city there is a relief plaque on which is the Aragonese coat of arms of Princess Louise of Aragon, wife of Bernardin Frankopan.