Krapinske Toplice is a municipality in Croatia. Krapinske Toplice is a famous thermal spa and one of the most idyllic corners of Hrvatsko Zagorje, located among the gentle Zagorje "hills". They are 46 km away from Zagreb, and the place itself is located in a valley that is open to the south. The altitude at which they are located is 164 m. Kosteljina flows southwest of Toplice.
Monuments and landmarks
On the hill Zašat above Krapinske Toplice, ie near the church of Sv. The remains of a prehistoric settlement were discovered by Mary Magdalene during the renovation of the building, which was carried out in the 1990s. It was the floor of an above-ground building made of wood, reeds and clay coating, and in addition to the remains of architecture, movable archeological finds were found, such as fragments of ceramic pottery, pieces of house beauty, ceramic vertebrae and weights for a loom. The prehistoric settlement was located at the top and on the southern and western peak slopes of the hill, and was additionally protected by an earthen rampart. On the north side, the settlement was naturally protected by the steep slopes of the hill. Based on the findings, the site is preliminarily dated to the Late Bronze Age, ie. in the younger phase of the culture of the field with urns, which in chronological sense would correspond to the time between 1000 and 800. pr. Kr. Due to intensive construction activities related to the construction and renovation of the chapel of St. Mary Magdalene and the mausoleum of Jacob Badl, as well as due to the construction of cellars and cottages and the cultivation of land for the needs of vineyards, it is assumed that the prehistoric settlement is quite damaged.
In the center of Krapinske Toplice is a very valuable construction complex of today's Special Hospital for Medical Rehabilitation and Akromion. At the western end of the promenade is the building of the former fashionable restaurant and later "Ćilimare", and it is called Bellevue.
In the center of Krapinske Toplice there is a monument "Carrying the wounded" which is the work of the famous Zagorje sculptor Antun Augustinčić. The monument was erected in 1973.
Above Krapinske Toplice on the hill Zašat, or. Sv. Marija Magdalena, finds the mausoleum of Jakob Badl (Rogaška Slatina, 1803 - Krapinske Toplice, 1884), the founder of the spa in Krapinske Toplice. The tomb was erected in the late 19th century.
At the southern entrance to Krapinske Toplice, there used to be a manor house known as "Lavoslavov dvor", which was finally demolished a few years ago due to its dilapidated condition.
In Klokovac, on a slightly elevated position above the Kosteljina valley, there is the Klokovec manor, which once belonged to the Ožegović, Friedberg and Miletić families. It is assumed that it was built in the first half of the 19th century. It was rebuilt in the late 20th century.
In Čret, above the former brickyard, there was once a mansion of the Palffy family from the 19th century, built in the historicist style. After the nobles, there was an elementary school in the curia, which was later moved to Krapinske Toplice. The manor house was completely demolished during the 1990s and the present building was erected on the same location.
In the hamlet of Mališa in Čret there is a simple, ground floor manor Rakitovec. The building is in pretty poor condition and would need to be renovated.
In Gregurovac, on the right side of the Kosteljina valley, there is an L-floor plan mansion, which used to have only a ground floor, while the upper floor was wooden, and a brick floor was added in 1905. At that time, the manor was equipped with historicist plastic. On one of the door jambs on the ground floor is the year 1875. The Gregurovec estate belonged to the Vojković family, and then to the lawyer Steiner.
The Kovačevec manor is a simple square building from the 19th century, and was recently completely reconstructed. There used to be a pond and ancillary outbuildings next to the manor, and the entire property was built in a hidden valley outside the main traffic routes. The Kovačevec estate once belonged to the Gjalski, Valičić and Jelačić families.
In Lovreći Seli there is a mansion from the 19th century, it has a simple square layout, and it was once owned by the Oršić, Kuhtić, Folnegović and Radić families. At one time, a four-year elementary school also operated in the manor, which was later moved to the Čret manor due to the poor condition of the building, and then finally to Krapinske Toplice. Today, only half of the former mansion has been preserved, and it is in a very poor condition and would need to be restored.
In the village of Oratje, there is a manor Novaki from the 19th century.
Sacred architectural heritage
In Krapinske Toplice there is a parish church of the Holy Trinity, and it was built between 1829 and 1832 on the ruins of a former church. In 1854, the old tower was demolished and a new one was built. It is a single-nave, classicist building. Since the parish of Toplice was first mentioned in 1303, the site of today's church was probably once a medieval church.
The parish court (Kaj. Farof) in Krapinske Toplice was built in 1877. It is a simple, square building. The palace was completely renovated in 2003. On the hill Zašat above Krapinske Toplice is the chapel of St. Mary Magdalene. It was built in 1874. on the site of an older wooden chapel mentioned in a canonical visitation in 1639.
On Hršak Breg is the chapel of St. Antun Padovanski from 1899,
built in the historicist style. It was raised by the contributions
of the parishioners. In the canonical visitations from 1676, a
"recently erected wooden chapel" is already mentioned at that
Above the manor in Lovreći Seli on the border between the municipality of Krapinske Toplice and the town of Pregrada is the chapel of St. George. It was built during the 1970s on the site of an older wooden chapel, of which there are records from the 17th century. There used to be a cemetery around the chapel and it was planned to raise the chapel to the level of the parish church, but at the end of the 18th century the cemetery was abandoned and burial continued in the cemetery in Pregrada. The chapel belongs to the parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary from Pregrada.
Above the Kovačevec manor on a hill is the chapel of St. Nikola (kaj. Mikula), built by Nikola Valičić during the 1840s. It is a central building with an octagonal ground plan, with a domed vault. It is an example of a unique classicist architecture of the central type. The chapel was in very poor condition and was recently restored.
In Klupci, on the border between the municipality of Krapinske Toplice, the municipality of Sveti Križ Začretje and the town of Zabok, there is a chapel of the Mother of God Mary (Mother of God Klupiečka). The chapel got its present appearance at the end of the 18th century, but there used to be an older chapel on that place. Since written sources mention that the chapel was dedicated by Bishop Stephen in 1502, the original chapel was built during the 15th or early 16th century. Around the chapel during the 18th and 19th centuries. there was also a cemetery, which was finally abandoned with the opening of a new cemetery in Sveti Križ Začretje in 1852. Today, the chapel is part of the parish of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.
In the center of Vrtnjakovac there is a gift from the 19th century. in the shape of a four-sided pillar, and is decorated with frescoes.
In Mala Erpenja there used to be a chapel of St. Helena, which was abandoned in 1771, and the altar was transferred to the church of St. Mary Magdalene.
In Klupci, on the hill of Čiženica, on the border of the municipality of Krapinske Toplice and the municipality of Sveti Križ Začretje, there used to be a chapel of St. Vuka (German: Wolfgang, kaj. Bolfek), but due to its poor condition it was demolished in 1771. The chapel is first mentioned in visitations in 1639. as the chapel of St. Wolfgang in Kovačevac. It was restored in 1742. owners of the Kovačevec estate, the Šaić family. There used to be a cemetery around the chapel, but it was abandoned after 1676 and 1708. there was a wine cellar near the chapel. The chapel belonged to the parish of Sv. Cross of the Conception.
In Čret, near the hamlet of Kranjčeci on the border of the municipality of Krapinske Toplice and the town of Krapina, there used to be a chapel of St. Gregor, but due to her poor condition she was later abandoned.
Members of the Center for Applied Archeology (firstname.lastname@example.org), a non-profit organization based in Krapinske Toplice, study cultural heritage in the municipality of Krapinske Toplice.