Umag

 

Umag (Italian: Umago) is a town in Istria County, Croatia. Umag is a town on the western Istrian coast, only 10 km from the Slovenian border and along Savudrija is the westernmost place in the Republic of Croatia.

Near Umag there is a place Valica (Italian Valizza) surrounded by beautiful nature, and close to the beach Kanegre with the cleanest sea for swimming in Istria. There is also the Dragonja River, and the Seńćovlje International Airport is close by.

 

History

Although there is no doubt that Umag existed even during the Roman Empire, the first mention of the city in chronicles dates back to the 7th century. In the 7th-8th centuries, Umag was ruled by Byzantium, which was then replaced by the Franks, and then by local princes.

The growing power of the Venetian Republic led to the gradual annexation of Istria to Venice. In 1269 Umag recognized the power of the Venetians, who ruled the city for over 500 years. In 1370 the city was badly damaged during the war between Venice and Genoa.

After the fall of Venice in 1797, Umag was annexed to Austria. In the period 1805-1813, the city was controlled by Napoleonic troops, and in 1813 the city again ceded to Austria.

After World War I, Umag, along with the entire Istrian peninsula, passed to Italy, while the rest of Dalmatia became part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, later the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

After World War II, Umag became part of the so-called Zone "B" of the free territory of Trieste, which was controlled by Yugoslavia, after which a significant part of the Italian population of the city emigrated to Italy. In 1954 the free territory of Trieste ceased to exist and Umag became part of Yugoslavia. After the collapse of the latter in 1991, the city became part of an independent Croatia.

 

Destinations

Old Town - the turbulent history of the city influenced its architecture - the buildings of late antiquity and the beginning of the Middle Ages have not survived to our time. However, the city has numerous evidences of the Middle Ages - fortified walls, Venetian villas and, above all, picturesque narrow streets. One of the oldest towers is well preserved - the western one, which now houses the city museum.
The Church of Saint Rock, the main attraction of the city, was built in 1514.
City Museum - located in the historic center of the city. Has a large collection of archaeological finds made during excavations in the city.
Church of St. Peregrine is a small ancient temple built by the inhabitants of the city, located near Umag on Cape Rosatso.
Lighthouse in Savudrija is the oldest lighthouse on the Adriatic, built in 1818. Light emanating from a source located at an altitude of 36 meters is visible at a distance of 32 km. The construction of the building is connected with the love story of Count Matternich, who, despite his position as a married man, fell in love with a local girl, in whose honor the lighthouse was built.
Remains of Sipar - not far from Umag, at low tide, you can see a cape 200 meters long and 50 meters wide, consisting of a pile of stones - these are the remains of the ancient fort Sipar, the construction of which dates back to the 5th century. Sipar existed on this site during the Roman Empire, as evidenced by the foundations of villas and houses, as well as household items, coins and ancient mosaics. Sipar was completely plundered and destroyed in 876 by pirates led by Domagoya. Now this cape is an unofficial nudist beach.
Villa Tiola is a real paradise for divers. This luxurious villa is richly decorated with mosaics and frescoes on the walls. The remains of a 30-meter pier, which is about 6 meters wide, can be seen in the sea not far from the villa, and the fragments of a huge building located nearby, according to experts, belong to another villa.