Fredensborg is a station town in North Zealand between Hillerød
and Helsingør with 8,769 inhabitants (2020), located in Fredensborg
Municipality in the Capital Region. Fredensborg Castle is located a
little west of the center and has named the whole city. The city has
a railway station, Fredensborg Station, which is located in the
middle of the city.
Fredensborg has, by virtue of Fredensborg Castle, over time been visited by prominent politicians, popes, princes and royals as well as athletes including Bill Clinton; George W. Bush; FC Barcelona's football team when it was to play against Brøndby IF in the UEFA Champions League; Pope John Paul II, the Russian Tsar Alexander III and the English King Edward VII.
The castle town
In the middle of the 19th century, Fredensborg consisted of a large part of country houses and housing for pensioners and other people who had retired, but also had a number of officials, traders and craftsmen, was the courthouse for Kronborg østre Birk and Hellebæk Birk og bolig for the birch judge, had post office, 2 inns and was polling station. In 1857 a courthouse and detention center were built with offices for the birch judge and arrests for 21 detainees, municipal school, secondary school, payment schools, Queen Louise Children's Asylum (established 1865), a 1866 built poverty and welfare institution (maximum occupancy 108), which was then merged with the Winterfeldt-Vossiske Hospital, pharmacy, mission house (built 1893), Hegel's Recreation Home (established 1891), was the polling station for Frederiksborg County's 2nd Folketingskreds, had a post office (with 1 postmaster and 1 clerk), telegraph and telephone station, 2 hotels and a station on the Nordbanen (built in 1864). The town had no church of its own, but used the castle church.
In 1801 Fredensborg had 443 inhabitants, in 1840 618 inhabitants, in 1860 758 inhabitants, in 1870 776 inhabitants, in 1880 795 inhabitants.
Urban development 1900-1960
In 1911, Fredensborg had 1,280 inhabitants, of which 105 subsisted on agriculture, 340 on handicrafts and industry, 202 on trade, 92 on transport, 482 on own funds. By 1911, Asminderød had developed into a suburb and district in Fredensborg with 459 inhabitants, of which 50 subsisted on agriculture, 160 on crafts and industry, 76 on trade, 19 on transport and 70 on own funds. The district had a church, rectory and school, inn and sawmill. In 1916 the town had 1,320 inhabitants and was described as "Villaby og Forretningsby". A savings bank was established in 1902, the city had 3 hotels, gasworks, waterworks, grocery stores, furniture factory, tobacco factory, post office, telegraph station.
In 1930, Fredensborg had 1,557 inhabitants, of which 89 subsisted on agriculture etc., 420 on crafts and industry, 244 on trade and turnover, 94 on transport, 92 on intangible business, 227 on housework, 375 were out of business and 16 without information. In the same year, Asminderød, which had then grown together with the town, had 718 inhabitants, of which 141 subsisted on agriculture, etc., 216 on handicrafts and industry, 47 on trade and turnover, 59 on transport, 45 on intellectual property, 49 on housework, 143 were out of work and 13 without information.
In 1901 Fredensborg had 930 inhabitants, in 1906 1,162 inhabitants, in 1911 1,280 inhabitants, in 1916 1,320 inhabitants, in 1921 1,448 inhabitants, in 1925 1,499 inhabitants, in 1930 1,557 inhabitants, in 1935 1,810 inhabitants, in 1940 1,707 inhabitants, in 1945 1,832 inhabitants and in 1950 2,006 inhabitants. In the same years, the population of Asminderød, which quickly developed into a district in Fredensborg, grew from 366 inhabitants in 1906 to 459 inhabitants in 1911, 463 inhabitants in 1916, 503 inhabitants in 1921, 713 inhabitants in 1930, 639 inhabitants in 1935, 758 inhabitants in 1940, 782 inhabitants in 1945 and 1,075 inhabitants in 1950. After that, separate population figures were no longer calculated: in 1955 Fredensborg-Asminderød had 3,199 inhabitants and in 1960 3,448 inhabitants.