10 largest cities in France
Éragny is a French commune located in the Val-d'Oise department
in the Île-de-France region. It is often called Éragny-sur-Oise to
distinguish it from the town of Éragny-sur-Epte.
Its inhabitants are called the Éragniens.
The wash house (French: lavoir) in Éragny, a French commune in
the Val-d'Oise department in the Île-de-France region, was built at
the end of the 19th century. The wash house is on Rue de la
The basin of the wash house is fed by a well. The water flows from the basin into the Oise.
At the beginning of the 12th century, the land and the village,
which bore the name of Erigny, belonged to the monks of the abbey of
Placed on the cliff facing north and overlooking the Oise, Éragny was only a very modest village until the twentieth century.
It was in 1564 that Jean d'Alesso, who came from Italy with Saint François de Paule, bought the seigneury of Éragny. Their coat of arms, azure with a gold saltire confined to four silver snails, served as the basis for that of the city. François d'Alesso, Marquis d'Eragny was Governor General of the Antilles (? - 1691). Their descendants will extend their domain over the town and will keep it until the Revolution when it will be confiscated as "emigrant property".
In 1632, Charles Antoine de Sulfour, knight, Lord of Gouzangrez was authorized to build a chapel in his castle in Éragny.
In the 18th century, the village was mainly concentrated on the hillside, above the floodplains. The rest of the land was divided between crops, vines and woods. Stone quarries were also exploited in the meander of the Oise. At that time, the limit with Conflans-Sainte-Honorine was formed by the “chemin de Neuville à Paris”, also called “chemin de l'Ambassadeur” or “chemin des Chasse-Marée”, now called “rue de l 'Ambassador' who always marks the boundary between the two municipalities and between the departments of Val-d'Oise and Yvelines. On March 20, 1742 the castle was the scene of a crime. Catherine Poquet, around 58 years old, widow of Alexandre Claude François d'Alesso Marquis d'Éragny is shot dead by Charles Dudefoy, 23-year-old school teacher from Neuville. This one will justify his gesture: "She asked me to shoot a gun in her ear in order to be able to cure her deafness".
Arrested, he is "condemned to be hanged and strangled until death ensues, to a gallows which will be erected opposite the door of the castle of Eragny, and orders that his body remains there for 24 hours and then be carried to the sinful forks of this bailiwick, that each and every one of his goods be declared acquired and confiscated and that on these is taken the sum of 250 pounds fine ”.
After having lodged his conviction, and received in July 1742 letters of remission given by Louis XV, we do not know what became of him6.
In the 19th century, an important figure settled in: Jacques-Henri Bernardin de Saint-Pierre, famous author of Paul et Virginie, disciple of Rousseau, took possession of the old rectory in 1804. After the writer's death in Éragny in 1814, the village fell back into relative anonymity.
At the end of the 19th century, Éragny had fewer than 500 inhabitants, living mainly from agriculture and market gardening.
Thanks to the arrival of the railway (Éragny - Neuville station), a limestone quarry was put into operation, which until then had only served local needs.
The installation of a paper mill in the twentieth century was the only notable industrial activity, giving Éragny a certain boost. This stationery, which was also the first company to set up in the new activity zone, gave its name to the district, where a very beautiful room which housed the paper presses was transformed into an exhibition room.
The fourteenth-century church was destroyed in June 1944 by an English Lancaster bomber plane shot down by the German DCA around Pontoise in the former French-origin casemates of the Chauvineau Line during World War II.
The development of the new agglomeration of Cergy-Pontoise, which began in the late 1960s, has transformed the town from village to city. Many neighborhoods have sprung up on what is called "the plateau" and, in less than twenty years, Éragny has taken on its present face with its approximately 16,000 inhabitants.