10 largest cities in France
Lamballe is a former new town located in the Côtes-d'Armor department in the Brittany region. On January 1, 2016, the new municipality of Lamballe was created by merging those of Meslin and Lamballe (delegated municipality) which acquired the administrative status of delegated municipalities on that date. On January 1, 2019, the new municipality was extended to Planguenoual and Morieux, which became delegated municipalities, and took the name of Lamballe-Armor.
The history of Lamballe dates back to the Neolithic. Gallo-Roman remains from the 1st to the 3rd century AD are added to those of the Tourelle, discovered seven years ago, which had made it possible to bring to light in two areas remains of the Iron Age (800 to 400 BC) and the Bronze Age (1,100 to 800 BC). A relatively long period of occupation in an area that could well have a link with that of the Grand-Chalet, which is currently being excavated. (Near the Mare: Gallo-Roman site is materialized by tegulae, scoriae and shards of common pottery. Near Villebily: Tegulae site. Near the Battlefield: Tegulae site. Saint-Aaron near la Villedy: Deposit delivering tegulae, common and sigillated ceramics).
Chêne-Hut is a covered walkway is delimited by eleven gabbro orthostats. It measures 11 m in length, 1.50 m in width and 1 m in height on average. Two cover tables are still in place, two more are overturned nearby. The monument was still intact in 1873. Since then, it has partially subsided and several slabs have been removed to repair the road from Lamballe to Plancoët. The monument was excavated in 1845 and 1873. During the excavations of 1873 carried out by Doctor Douillet, he found there polished axes, several flint blades, shards of pottery and two polished stone beads.
The Collegiate Church of Notre-Dame de Lamballe (otherwise known
as Notre-Dame-de-Grance-Power) is a religious building located in
Lamballe in the French department of Côtes-d'Armor. It is classified
as historical monuments in 1848 and by the list of 1862. This
church, fortified in the fourteenth century, has the advantage of
juxtaposing elements of Romanesque, radiant Gothic and flamboyant
Gothic. The fortifications are located at the apse of the church and
along the southern facade, the church was indeed integrated into the
defense system of the castle of Lamballe, now disappeared. This
castle occupied the site of the park located north of the collegiate
Saint-Martin Church is a Catholic church located in Lamballe, France. Former priory dependent on the abbey of Marmoutiers, it is at the origin of the village which surrounds it. Its construction began in the eleventh century and continued until the eighteenth century. It has classified statues and interesting murals dating from the Middle Ages.