Accademia Gallery is famous for collection of Venetian paintings that
were painted between 14th and 18th centuries. Accademia was found by the
Senate of Venice in 1750 as the center of education in Italy along with
other Italian large cities like Rome, Florence, Milan and many others.
Additionally it was one of the first institutions in Italy that started to
study and implement the process of restoration. Originally it was called the
Academy of Fine Arts and in 1807 it was renamed the Royal Academy by the
orders of French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte after he conquered Italy. He
also moved the Academy to its current structure. In the middle of the 19th
century Academy was transformed into a museum intended to gather the best
works of Venetian masters including Paolo and Lorenzo Veneziano, Giovanni
Bellini, Giorgione, Lorenzo Lotto, Veronese, Tintoretto, Titian, Tiepolo,
Canaletto and many others.
Accademia Gallery also gave name to one of the four large
bridges across Grand Canal of Venice. Bridge Academy connects building of
Accademia, former monastery and school Scuola Grande di Santa Maria della
Carita and the city area of San Marco. The bridge was constructed in 1854
following a design of Alfred Neville who created its base from steel. In the
early 20th century the bridge was replaced with the wooden one. It was
believed that steel didn't fit the spirit of Venice. In 1985 new bridge
replaced Accademia Bridge, while keeping the original design.