House of the Inn was originally built as a luxury
private Villa at the beginning of the first century AD. House of the
Inn was originally built during the reign of the Emperor Augustus.
However, during the earthquake of 62 AD, the Villa was severely
damaged. The owners of the House of the Inn at that time were
clearly impoverished, or had lost too much money to use the house
themselves. Instead, the House of the Inn was turned into an Inn or
ancient Roman hotel. The Villa has been somewhat rebuilt, turning a
luxurious estate with sea views into a large dormitory with a total
area of 2150 square meters. House of the Inn was excavated in 1852
under Bonucci's direction and completed by Mayuri in the 1930s. The
first floor is perfectly preserved, but the second floor was almost
completely destroyed either during the eruption, or during the early
House of the Inn is in poor condition, not only due to the effects of the eruption, but also in search tunnels and passages dug during early excavations. Almost completely lost decorations in the bathroom area. The rooms (l) from door # 18 were originally a separate complex with approximately 6 rooms, but were at some point connected to the North side of the peristyle-courtyard. Similarly, the store (m) may have been connected to the house. It seems that the house was rebuilt after 62 years to form a commercial enterprise consisting of shops and workshops. The main entrance (a) opens from the West side of Cardo IV street and leads to the atrium (b) - the main living room, from which rooms go left and right. The atrium here is a simple lobby, rather than the expected prestigious foyer found in other private homes.