Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

 

 

 

Santa Maria in Aracoeli (Rome)

Церковь Санта-Мария-ин-Арачели или Санта-Мария в Аракели (Рим)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Description of Santa Maria in Aracoeli

Церковь Санта-Мария-ин-Арачели или Санта-Мария в Аракели (Рим)

Piazza d'Aracoeli
Tel. 06-679 81 55
Open: 9am- 12:30pm, 3-6 pm daily

 

Aracoeli Staircase constructed in 1348 leads to the top of the Capitol Hill to this interesting church those origins date back to the 6th century. Current structure date back to rule of Pope Gregory XIII in the 16th century. The columns that support the ceiling are very different from each other. All of them were collected from different ancient monuments and temples. The third column on the left as you enter the church come from the bedroom of the emperor Augustus Octavian. Interior frescoes date back as early as 15th century by Pinturicchio (Funeral of St. Bernardino). The church is known for the holy relics belonging to Saint Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, various small relics from the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. Here are the remains of St. Uniper, one of the original followers of St. Francis of Assisi. Pope Honorius IV and Queen Catherine Bosnian are also buried in the church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli or Santa Maria in Aracoeli. A monogrammed slab of Jesus, which St. Bernardino of Siena used as evidence of devotion to the Holy Name of Jesus, is kept in Aracoeli.

 

 

 

Церковь Санта-Мария-ин-Арачели или Санта-Мария в Аракели (Рим)

Santa Maria in Aracoeli was originally named St. Maria in Capitol, since it was located on Capitol Hill (Campidoglio, in Italian) of Ancient Rome; by the 14th century, it was renamed. The medieval legend included in the guidebook to Rome in the mid-twelfth century, Mirabilia Urbis Roma, claimed that the church was built over Augustine Ara, at the place where the Sibyl prophesied Augustus about the coming of Christ. "For this reason, the figure of the pagan emperor Augustus and the Sibyl are located on either side of the arch above the main altar" (Lanciani, chapter 1). A later legend said about the appearance of the Virgin Mary in this place. In the Middle Ages, convicted criminals were executed at the foot of the steps; in the same place, the self-proclaimed tribune that revived the Roman Republic, Cola Rienzo met his death at the hands of the crowd in 1354. There is also a small bronze statue dedicated to him.

 

In The History of Money, anthropologist Jack Weatherford tells in detail about the previous building of the Temple of Juno Coin in whose place stands the modern church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli.

"According to Roman historians, in the fourth century BC, an irritated rumble of sacred geese around the temple of Juno on Capitol Hill warned people about the impending night attack of the Gauls, who secretly climbed the walls of the citadel. Because of this event, the goddess acquired [her] nickname - Juno Moneta, from the Latin monere (to mean warn). As the patroness of the state, Juno Moneta led various activities of the state, including the main activity of issuing money."

The foundation of the church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli in Aracoeli was laid on the site of a Byzantine monastery, mentioned in 574. Many buildings were built around the first church. At the top of the hill was a monastery with cells for monks, and on the slopes of the hill a small quarter with a market grew. The remains of these buildings - such as the small church of San Biagio de Mercato and the Roman Insula - were discovered in the 1930s. First, the church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli was designed according to Greek models, a sign of the influence of the Byzantine Exarch. However, later the interior of the church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli was changed. The church passed under the control of Pasik by the 9th century, the church building was first transferred to the Benedictines, and then to the papal document to the Franciscans in 1249-1250. When the Franciscans, he got his Romanesque-Gothic current look. The arches that divide the aisles are supported by columns. These columns are very different from each other as they were picked up from the Roman ruins. In the Middle Ages, the church of Santa Maria in Araceli became the center of the religious and civil life of the city. in particular, during the 14th century Republican government, when Cola di Rienzo opened a 124-step monumental staircase leading to the church designed by Simone Andreozzi in 1348, hoping to stop the Black Death and save the Eternal City.

In 1571, the celebrations of the hero of Rome and Italy, Marcantonio Colonna, after the victorious battle of Lepanto over the Turkish fleet took place in Santa Maria in Aracoeli. Noting this occasion, the ceiling was gilded and painted (completed 1575) to thank the Blessed Virgin for the victory. In 1797, after the invasion of Napoleon and the end of the Roman Republic, the basilica was closed and turned into a stable.

 

 

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus